Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old Today, 12:12 AM   #541
Aldo
Admiral

Re: 24: Live Another Day. Discussion Thread. (Spoilers)

Wayne Palmer was Secretary of State for his brothers Presidency after Mike Novic was let go.

Personally I really enjoyed Logan. He's a slimy bastard who played up the fact that he was incompetent to hide the fact that he was really a weasel. His continued pleas of "It was all for the country" are extremely believable and I think deep down he was trying to do the right thing, but it got out of control.
Old Today, 12:17 AM   #542
urbandefault
Captain

Aldo wrote: View Post
Wayne Palmer was Secretary of State for his brothers Presidency after Mike Novic was let go.

Personally I really enjoyed Logan. He's a slimy bastard who played up the fact that he was incompetent to hide the fact that he was really a weasel. His continued pleas of "It was all for the country" are extremely believable and I think deep down he was trying to do the right thing, but it got out of control.
Logan was the epitome of the slimeball you love to hate. It's been a long time since I've seen a sleazier character.

Gregory Itzin was equally as sleazy on Firefly ("Jaynestown"). Too bad he didnt get more screen time.
Old Today, 12:20 AM   #543
Aldo
Admiral

^^^It's been so long since I've done a run through of Firefly I totally forgot that he was in it! Thanks for pointing it out, and you're right. He was incredibly sleazy there too

I also liked Logan's brief role in Season 6. It wasn't enough to redeem him, but whenever he sizzled whenever he was onscreen.
Old Today, 12:35 AM   #544
Danny99
Vice Admiral

A question that's been bothering me:

Do people want to see Jack Bauer's story end in a Russian prison, metaphorically atoning for sins or do people want to see his story end coming home and being with his family?

Which is more satisfying a conclusion for his character?
Old Today, 01:00 AM   #545
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2

I'd prefer an ending that gives some hope for his future even if it didn't involve him reconnecting with his family.

I didn't see it as atoning for his sins as much as it was him doing the only thing he could do so he could live with himself. He's left so many behind, but he always did everything he could to save them.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:07 AM   #546
urbandefault
Captain

Danny99 wrote: View Post
A question that's been bothering me:

Do people want to see Jack Bauer's story end in a Russian prison, metaphorically atoning for sins or do people want to see his story end coming home and being with his family?

Which is more satisfying a conclusion for his character?
LeadHead wrote: View Post
I'd prefer an ending that gives some hope for his future even if it didn't involve him reconnecting with his family.

I didn't see it as atoning for his sins as much as it was him doing the only thing he could do so he could live with himself. He's left so many behind, but he always did everything he could to save them.
Sacrificing himself to save Chloe, his best (and only) friend, is completely in character. But I bet he'll find a way to escape.

Jack Bauer does not give up, and he never gives in. He'd die first.
Old Today, 01:25 AM   #547
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Wayne Palmer becoming President is a bit of a stretch. First of all, consider the toxic political environment that *we* live in. Now, compound that by everything that happened in 24's universe between David Palmer and when Wayne Palmer would have went up for election and the multiply THAT by everything that happened concerning Wayne during the events of Season 3.

You'd think he'd be pretty much unelectable considering he was in someway connected (regardless of how much is known in the wake of Keeler's death/incapacitation) with the death of the ex-wife of a former President who was his brother, the death of the wife of a major campaign contributor to David's camp who herself is in someway connected to the death of THAT man.

You can't tell me there wasn't still a lot of cover-up and tom-foolery going on after the events of Season 3's day considering there's three deaths all centered around David Palmer in some manner, all happening on the same day suspicious news came out about David Palmer's current girlfriend AND the same day (or close to it) he resigned his re-election campaign just a month or two before the election.

The Republicans would have a field-day with all of this. Wayne Plamer should have been text-book unelectable. Not to mention I don't think Wayne even had the political clout or experience to even run!
Old Today, 01:35 AM   #548
urbandefault
Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Wayne Palmer becoming President is a bit of a stretch. First of all, consider the toxic political environment that *we* live in. Now, compound that by everything that happened in 24's universe between David Palmer and when Wayne Palmer would have went up for election and the multiply THAT by everything that happened concerning Wayne during the events of Season 3.

You'd think he'd be pretty much unelectable considering he was in someway connected (regardless of how much is known in the wake of Keeler's death/incapacitation) with the death of the ex-wife of a former President who was his brother, the death of the wife of a major campaign contributor to David's camp who herself is in someway connected to the death of THAT man.

You can't tell me there wasn't still a lot of cover-up and tom-foolery going on after the events of Season 3's day considering there's three deaths all centered around David Palmer in some manner, all happening on the same day suspicious news came out about David Palmer's current girlfriend AND the same day (or close to it) he resigned his re-election campaign just a month or two before the election.

The Republicans would have a field-day with all of this. Wayne Plamer should have been text-book unelectable. Not to mention I don't think Wayne even had the political clout or experience to even run!
Considering that it's fiction, I don't think it matters in real world terms. We don't know much detail about either Palmer's positions and policies outside of what was shown onscreen.

But as a conservative voter, I liked David Palmer. I know a lot of others who think like I do who felt the same way. He came across as an honorable man.

In real world terms, I would not under any circumstances vote for Charles Logan.
Old Today, 01:41 AM   #549
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

urbandefault wrote: View Post
In real world terms, I would not under any circumstances vote for Charles Logan.
Well, you wouldn't have had a choice. Logan was never elected into office.
Old Today, 02:08 AM   #550
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

The way 24 ended,they left it open for a future series.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:14 AM   #551
Captrek
Rear Admiral

I bet he'll find a way to escape.
I don't think he'll escape just to save himself. He did assassinate Russia's Foreign Minister, after all. I think it's more likely, assuming there is a continuation, that he'll make a deal for his freedom when Russia needs his help. The only way he busts out is if he has to in order to save more innocent lives.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:32 AM   #552
urbandefault
Captain

And he wasn't qualified in the first place. It reminds me of several VPs during my lifetime who were just a "heartbeat away" from the Big Chair, who had neither the spine nor the balls for it.
Old Today, 02:51 AM   #553
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

And he wasn't qualified in the first place. It reminds me of several VPs during my lifetime who were just a "heartbeat away" from the Big Chair, who had neither the spine nor the balls for it.
Or almost-VPs. ()