Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

^^

That was Ultimate Amadeus Cho.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Two Amadeus Cho showed up this month.

Ultimate and regular brand.

Once in that Avengers story as the Illuminati agent who was being hunted down by S.H.I.E.L.D. and secondly as the scientist trying to figure out the space vagina connecting te Ultimate universe to 616.

We are obviously at the beginning of a chovolution, so you can forgive some cases of mistaken chodentity.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Marvel settles wih Jack Kirby heirs.

4. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I miss Helmut's heroic days.

5. Guy Gardener

Helmut is invested.

He's a fan.

We can trust him to do what is necessary.

If George fucks up the next Star Wars...

Baron Zemo is going to Nuke Skywalker Ranch for us.

My hero.

6. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I miss the real Thunderbolts. Not the random selection of whoevers that composes the team these days.

7. Guy Gardener

Well, the current run has been cancelled. Although most likely that means that they will be back with a new high concept book in 6 months called the All-New Thunderbolts #1.

Which might mean the return of Zemo.

or it could mean something else entirely different and certainly stupid.

But to be fair, General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross (My brain just laughed because Zzzzax fucked him up in the 80s.) has probably been calling every other one of his Strike Teams "The Thunderbolts" since 1962.

8. Guy Gardener

Just read original sin 3 through 8.

Three different people without awareness of any repetition, took the time out of there lives to exasperate the same sentence "I never liked you Barnes!"

It felt very much like watching an episode of Dallas.

(Or Nashville.)

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The first issue of the new run of Thor came out yesterday.

It's not the book that Marvel led us to believe it would be. The new Thor doesn't appear until the final two pages. The rest of the book stars Thor Odinson, who goes from mopey to armed and mopey. Oh, and there are Frost Giants doing Frost Giant things under the ocean's surface because why not.

I understand that we're not going to find out the identity of the hammer wielder until sometime next year, and that's fine. But as a jumping-on point, this doesn't work very well. It's bogged down in Original Sin fallout, and it doesn't give any sense of how the new status quo will work.

It's hard to recommend, because it feels like an extended teaser for the new direction. At $3.99 a copy I need something more than that.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a direct continuation of "Thor: God of Thunder" continuing that book...which featured Frost Giants and the three versions of Thor. I understand that King Thor doesn't want to discuss the Female Thor incident with his great-great-granddaughters :)

11. Allyn Gibson

Oh, I totally get that. But then that begs the question of why relaunch at all, or why relaunch with this issue if the new status quo doesn't actually start until the next?

I think I'd have started the female Thor era with the new status quo in place and her kicking butt, and then backfill on the backstory moving forward. Not unlike the Eccleston era of Doctor Who, really.

I saw an interesting theory about her identity on Twitter --

It's Freyja. She's gotten a taste of power, Odin's being an asshat, and she's going to use whatever means she has to do what she thinks is right.

Another interesting theory I've seen is that Nick Fury's whispered words were directed at the hammer and not at Thor.

12. Admiral_Young

I originally posited in here when the news broke that it might be one of his great-great granddaughters. It'd be in the mold of what Aaron is doing with the worldbuilding...my other guess was Roz but I'm actually two issues behind so I don't know.

Yep. I've seen the Hammer theory as well...I think that makes sense as well. We know that King Thor is still intact so Thor hasn't gone anywhere. It's going to be interesting to see where exactly this goes.

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. The gross start/stop renumbering is a large reason I no longer buy any A-list character title. I just trade wait. Sure, I'm 9months to a year behind but I'm not supporting the monthly format on those characters anymore. The last Indestructible Hulk and Hulk books fall into this category as well.

14. Admiral_Young

It's a branding/marketing gimmick. I'm not saying I'm thrilled with it...quite the opposite actually as it's getting annoying now, but i understand why they're doing it.

This is actually a pretty great article from back in March...it's analyzing how comic media conduct/report news...but it singles out on the relaunches.

http://www.theouthousers.com/index....o-relaunch-and-renumber-books-more-often.html

15. Allyn Gibson

But they're doing it to diminishing returns. CBR had an analysis of the Wolverine relaunches, and each one has launched at a lower number than the previous one.

16. Admiral_Young

I agree...the article points that out too if you read it. It is what it is. I suspect there are fans like @CaptainCraig who trade wait now or others who just simply have not bought anything. I mostly trade wait now myself as Marvel is quicker with their trades than DC for some reason.

It's just the new way. I don't know why...but Marvel Editorial obviously currently prefers this to the old numbering system.

17. Allyn Gibson

It's almost a Hollywood model -- open big with huge sales first month, take the expected falloff with subsequent issues, then launch again and goose the numbers with incentives out the wazoo to get the big opening again.

I get it, but it's all very artificial.

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I was content with supporting Mighty Avengers as it was a unique team and I felt I could get to know Blue Marvel and Monica(again) as Spectrum now. Blade was my big reason for supporting the book and the rest was happy accident. Now however instead of just having Falcon/Cap as a team member on Mighty Avengers they are cancelling it and retitling it and renumbering it. I'm out.
    14 issues--that's it and first chance they get to slap another #1 they do it.
    I'm just going to trade wait this new volume then as my monthly purchase was not rewarded with continued numbering on the title.

19. Guy Gardener

Is Mighty Avengers racist?

20. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I'm not really understanding what the big deal is about Marvel renumbering their titles every once and a while. It worked for me when I was looking to get into some titles, picking up a number one is more attractive than jumping in at say issue 45, even if the story is still continuing.