Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 14 2013, 09:50 PM   #496
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Re: Castle Season 5 (including Spoilers)

Well.. as some might gather i'm a huge Castle fan and the season 4 finale just blew me away and i couldn't wait for season 5.

The first half of the season was amazing and everything i hope it would be.. them sneaking around, acting like some teenagers about to be caught, getting to know sides about each previously undiscovered (i especially loved the Hamptons and Sci Fi Convention episodes) but the latter half of the season lost much steam.

I had hoped they could keep up the fun of it but the show got dragged down in the typical procedural stuff with relationship sprinkles in the beginning and end (and maybe a little bit throughout).. somehow it wasn't that exciting anymore. The first four seasons were must see for me.. every day a new Castle episode was aired it was the first thing i did when i returned home.

Now it could have been days before i "bothered" to watch the episode and that's not a good sign (for any show). There's been talk about the gullible turn of character Castle has experienced this season and while i don't agree it's as bad as some made it out to be it was still at times annoying. Castle is a very intelligent man who just likes the supernatural and likes to get creeped out (and did it to annoy Beckett too) but they went too far with it this season for a few cheap laughs.. not their best moment.

Highlights still include the Kevin Ryan centric Irish Mob episode (once again an awesome performance by Dever) and the first few episodes of the season.

This finale left me kinda cold.. as i said earlier and in other threads i watch Castle for the characters and their relations.. the case rarely interests me and this time it was no different. It could have been any episode from sometime in the middle of the season.. nothing really spelt season finale at all. Apart from Kate considering DC and Castle popping the question (which i also saw coming a mile away) it was a pretty bland episode. A far cry from the brilliant season 3 and 4 finales.

Well.. the show obviously won't move to DC now that Castle has raised the stakes. There might be some things to sort out but Kate always wanted the relationship to progress and you can't progress much further than marriage. Chances are about 100% she'll say yes (maybe not in the first season 6 episode to keep the viewers on their toes) but i guess season 6 finale might revolve around the wedding.

I'll be definitely returning for season 6 (d'uh) but i also hope they return to some of the fun of early season 5 and before.

See ya in the fall!
Old May 14 2013, 11:20 PM   #497
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

A season finale where the female lead is offered a fantastic career opportunity and male lead proposes marriage to hang onto her?

Sounds familiar - oh yeah, that was last season's finale of The Glades.

To the powers that be of Castle - please, please, please do not turn the wonderful, strong female character of Kate Beckett into a whining, sniveling Callie type character. I beg of you!

Even though it was a clip show, I found "Still" to be a much more enjoyable episode and would have preferred it over the last two episodes as a season finale.

Whoa Nellie
Old May 14 2013, 11:55 PM   #498
Christopher
Writer

This plot development doesn't work for me. For five years, Beckett's been defined as someone who cares passionately about speaking for the victims of crime and bringing their killers to justice. She's already doing the job she wants to do more than anything. So this idea that working for the federal government is her greatest ambition in life comes out of nowhere and is totally unconvincing. It's out of character and is just a way of setting up a forced and arbitrary conflict for the season finale.

I mean, the very least they could've done was have her say at some point that she wanted the job because it would give her more authority and access which she could use to work against the senator who had her mother killed. That would actually make some sense and fit her character. But they just ignored that angle, even though it would've clearly made the plot development far more justified. And that's damn sloppy writing.

Anyway, it's just as well that guy's political career was ended. He was far too bad a liar to get anywhere in politics.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 12:33 AM   #499
Pavonis
Commodore

Yes, I'm surprised the Bracken angle was not mentioned. It really does seem the only reason to take the job. A chance to take down a dirty senator really should have been at the forefront of both Beckett's and Castle's minds. I expected a season finale to deal with the larger story arc of the show. Who wrote this episode?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 02:14 AM   #500
IcecreamLtDan
Captain

Honestly, IMHO, she's already decided not to take the job and it's her thinking in hindsight about Senator Bracken that's allowed her to make that decision. She realizes that if she were to take the job, it would allow her to pursue him and she's probably worried that it's the only reason to take it and it takes her a bit to realize that and that it's the wrong reason. She realizes that she's in the job she's always wanted to really be in, the fact that Castle has asked her to marry him is just another thing to confuse her and cause a reaction.

Honestly, looking at all the available options, I don't see her taking the job being the way the writers can continue to do the show. If she tells Castle yes, what then, do they go to DC together? Does she go and Castle stay in New York? How could that work? Probably not very well either way. Things wouldn't be the same if they both go and Castle would find himself staying at home a lot when she's traveling the country. Obviously, it would be hard for the show to go on if Castle stayed in New York while she went to DC.

If she tells Castle no, then regardless of her decision about the job, how do you write the show? Generally when a man asks a woman to marry him and she says no, that ends the relationship. If she says maybe, or I need to think about it, well then, will we have to suffer through a year of heart rending grief on her part while she tries to decide? What about the job offer then? Not really working.

Sorry about the giant wall of text, but the main thing that bugs me about this episode is not the cliffhanger itself, but what it may lead to as far as writing the show. In years past, I really cared to know what happened, does Beckett die after being shot, what happens now that they've broken through and slept together, things like that. Now I'm more curious about how the writers get themselves out of this corner than I am on what happens to our brave heroes. That in itself is kinda sad.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 03:30 AM   #501
Christopher
Writer

IcecreamLtDan wrote: View Post
Honestly, IMHO, she's already decided not to take the job and it's her thinking in hindsight about Senator Bracken that's allowed her to make that decision. She realizes that if she were to take the job, it would allow her to pursue him and she's probably worried that it's the only reason to take it and it takes her a bit to realize that and that it's the wrong reason.
I don't think the writers even remembered the senator at this point. My thinking is that she decided to stay when she made that speech about the interrogation room being her home. That sure sounded like she was realizing she was already where she belonged.

Old May 15 2013, 01:29 PM   #502
Forbin
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
IcecreamLtDan wrote: View Post
Honestly, IMHO, she's already decided not to take the job and it's her thinking in hindsight about Senator Bracken that's allowed her to make that decision. She realizes that if she were to take the job, it would allow her to pursue him and she's probably worried that it's the only reason to take it and it takes her a bit to realize that and that it's the wrong reason.
I don't think the writers even remembered the senator at this point. My thinking is that she decided to stay when she made that speech about the interrogation room being her home. That sure sounded like she was realizing she was already where she belonged.
I concur. At least, we the audience knew that was what was going on, I'm not sure if the writers were smart enough to realize that.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 10:27 PM   #503
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Finally got around to watching it last night, and was largely underwhelmed. Despite Castle generally acting like an adolescent throughout the series, it was always in a fun and charming way. However, when he learned that Beckett went on that interview he threw a complete temper tantrum, and he never once thought about Beckett and her career, just himself. Beckett had better not accept that ring, or else she'll have to deal with that B.S. until their ultimate divorce. One thing that I thought was really odd was when Ryan and Espo were working with that tech on that laptop, the camera hung on her for a couple of extra seconds for no apparant reason. Maybe they're going to develop her as a character more next season?
Old May 16 2013, 11:17 PM   #504
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Kirby wrote: View Post
One thing that I thought was really odd was when Ryan and Espo were working with that tech on that laptop, the camera hung on her for a couple of extra seconds for no apparant reason. Maybe they're going to develop her as a character more next season?
Yeah I noticed that too. The actress is cute, and Espo was mugging at her, so I thought they did that to show that he was into her or something.

I've now watched the proposal a bunch of times and I guess I can accept that it was supposed to be a show of "seriousness" on Castle's part but I still think he did a lame job on it.

And if Beckett decided to stay at the NYPD in the interrogation room scene, why did she tell Ryan and Espo "There's something I have to tell you guys"? Why would she need to tell them that she was staying despite a job offer when they didn't even know about the job offer to begin with? I think she decided to take it.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 03:03 PM   #505
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

There's no better time to propose than when the woman you're proposing to thinks you're breaking up with her. I can't believe Castle's been divorced twice with smooth moves like that.

I know they can't all be amazing season finales, but this one was particularly underwhelming (which I guess fits this lackluster season), and it's not even much of a cliffhanger since I can't see Kate possibly saying yes to Castle's proposal under these circumstances. She'd always wonder if he was being pressured into it out of fear of losing her, and it would just give rise to resentment, whereas a proposal made during happier, less tension-filled times would bode well for a more fulfilling marriage.
Old May 17 2013, 05:04 PM   #506
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Slightly morbid bit of trivia about this episode.

Tonight's case seemed to have been inspired by the death of Canadian student Elisa Lam in Los Angeles in February. Her body was found in the water tank above her hotel, and residents started noticing the water pressure was acting strange.
Yes, I noticed that as well.

As far as the finale goes, I was a little underwhelmed too. The second half of this season seems to have relied on Castle and Becket not acting like rational people to create drama.

I'm also a little late on this but when they played the bomber episode a few weeks back did anyone else get the feeling they may have re-shot the opening sequence? It just seems that leading off the show with a huge explosion would have been the way to go with this one.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 06:10 PM   #507
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

I hate to join the chorus of underwhelmed voices since I've remained entertained throughout this season, but I have to agree. I watch this show for the Castle/Beckett interplay and so having them legitimately in a relationship has been excellent, but this finale was just... mishandled I think. The case was fairly mundane and didn't tie into any larger threads, and they had Castle acting the fool and the proposal at the end was... not a good call. I can't see many Caskett fans watching that scene and cheering and compared to the incredible final scene from last year it just doesn't work.

Still, hopefully just a (big) misstep and they'll return to form. And no more "are they going to split up???" nonsense. It's not dramatic. It's boring.

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Kirby wrote: View Post
One thing that I thought was really odd was when Ryan and Espo were working with that tech on that laptop, the camera hung on her for a couple of extra seconds for no apparant reason. Maybe they're going to develop her as a character more next season?
Yeah I noticed that too. The actress is cute, and Espo was mugging at her, so I thought they did that to show that he was into her or something.
They've actually done that several times in the back half of the season. It seems like they're hinting at her and Espo, yeah.
Old August 17 2013, 01:04 PM   #508
Forbin
Admiral

Just resurrecting this 'cause I came across some cute new pics of Molly. The pics are safe for work, but the site itself is definitely not. No nudity at the direct link to these pics, though:
http://forum.zodcaps.com/showthread.php?t=121891
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 03:32 PM   #509
Christopher
Writer

^Umm, at least one of the banner ads that pop up when you click on the pics is very, very NSFW. Yikes.