Getting Sick of This!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Amaris, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

For the past day or so, anything I type in Google comes up with this:

[​IMG]

What the hell is going on?

J.

2. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

weird!

I've never got that.

Have you tried maybe going to a local (well, not local to you obviously) google instead - like google.ca or google.co.uk? Even just to see if your searches go through there.

3. Amaris

^ Yep. I also cleared my cookies, cleared cache, and restarted the browser. I keep getting it, but only from Google.

J.

4. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

That's really strange.

5. Amaris

It is. I thought maybe at first my IRC client was causing it, but I shut it off and still get the messages. Almost every search. At least 9 out of 10.

I'm running an AV scan right now just in case it is me, but my router is routinely scanned too so I'd have seen something get through.

J.

6. Amaris

Just to update: I ran Avira anti-vir and Lavasoft AdAware. Avira found 7 trojans and some spyware, AdAware found a few too. All of it cleaned, system restarted, started up Firefox, went to Google typed in a search question and *bam* same error message.

So I logged into my router to see if there are unsolicited packets going in and out of my network, and it was all clear. Everything that was departing and returning was fully authorized, and I examined the packet logs myself, but nothing out of the ordinary. I don't know what is going on.

J.

7. Da'an

Da'an Commander Red Shirt

Do you use a static IP address or does it change?

8. Amaris

It is a dynamic IP.
    I dropped my current IP and reconnected with a new one. It's still doing it.
    There are 3 computers on my network. None of them have spyware/adware and the packet logs are clean. It's not me.
    Out of frustration, I installed the Add Search Engines extension in Firefox and added Bing, since it's close to Google in it's comprehensive search results, and made it the default search engine.

J.

9. Da'an

Da'an Commander Red Shirt

Is it a wireless network?

Could it be possible that someone within range had accessed your connection which is why Google thinks it's you?

10. Amaris

My wireless network is secured, and I keep a monitor on all inbound/outbound connections. If someone connected to my network, my system logs would show it. Nothing connected other than the authorized systems.

J.

11. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

This sort of thing apparently happens because Google thinks you're sending out lots of searches from your IP address. Bot attacks can resemble this sort of thing too. It also happens a lot when there's heavy Internet usage, e.g. at the time of Michael Jackson's death.

In the last week or so I believe there have been a number of Google spiders roaming the Net and latching onto some sites, including the RavesceneBBS and another BBS which I administrate (it happened there first possibly because I was linking to it in my signature a lot and I was posting here a lot, hence multiple instances of that link) causing a sudden jump in the number of users online at any one time (our BBSes are very small in popularity, so this is noticeable).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_search#Error_messages

12. Amaris

Yeah, but there's no reason for them to be doing it to me. No other search engine has this trouble. In fact, Bing has been performing rather admirably. I might just stick with it.

J.

13. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

That's because I think it's just a Google thing. It happens to me a lot, even on computers at work.

14. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

copper mines of Kadi?

15. Amaris

That would be a search quote. "Copper Mines of Kadish/Kadesh", which ended up being Kabir. That's what I was checking. But I got that Google error on every single search query, and on every one of them Google insisted that those words were being used by worms and trojans. I called baloney on it, and got frustrated.

J.

16. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

You could try e-mailing Google and asking for assistance...

You said you have a dynamic IP - maybe someone who previously had the IP used it maliciously so they put a complete block on it?

Are all the computers on your network having this problem? Or just that one?

17. Amaris

I dispatched an email to Google, but I doubt they'll get back to me anytime soon.

Well, it's static until I renew it, which I did, and I still have the same problem.

All of them on the network.

J.

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

This happened to me a couple of years ago. I think it just resolved itself in a couple of days.

19. Amaris

Ah well. As long as it does I'm using Bing. I may not go back if Bing works out as well as it has been, so who knows.

J.

20. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

This sounds like a block on a particular ISP, then. Check this page for information on the error.