The Master and The War Chief - Why can't they be the same guy?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Chaos Descending, Jun 29, 2009.

1. timelord1010

timelord1010 Captain Captain

Why can't the War Chief be the Valyard? He tried to go back in time to wipe out the Timelords.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And can't Time Lords recognize each other across regenerations?

AFAIK, the War Chief was indeed a classmate of the Doctor's: on Gallifrey, they were part of an elite academic team called the 'Deca', and the WC was known as Magnus. The Deca also included the Rani, the Master, and the Monk.

3. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

(double post)

4. Emperor-Tiberius

I don't think so. The War Chief is never particularly interested in gaining anything from the Doctor, but rather desires his alliance. Not entirely un-Master-like, especially if you consider how the Tenth Doctor and the Simms Master are rather sentimental towards one another.

The War Chief does recognize The Doctor, though. And The Doctor's "I have nothing to say to you" might indicate a possible history between them - and considering the comics themselves explored the era, albeit without the connection this thread seeks, its not entirely out of the question.

Also, The Doctor doesn't recognize The Master at first, when speaking to him on the telephone.

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I saw Pertwee - Davison (And maybe further?) before seeing The War Games, and I missed a few episodes of The War Games. So, I did at first believe they were, or could be, the same Time Lord.

But seeing it in it's entirity and them not knowing each other personally I dismissed the thought

6. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, we were so young back then.

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Wow, this is a blast from the past. And yet, I still stand by what I said four years ago.

Also, I find it interesting that this thread is revived at the same time as discussion over at GallifreyBase concerns a certain upcoming audio play (The Dying Light) and whether it features The War Chief.

8. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

It was made plain in the series that The Doctor and The Master have known each-other since childhood. I just never got that vibe from the War Chief, or the Meddling Monk.

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

The Monk and the Master are definitely not the same, as (in The Time Meddler, anyway, though Gary's book disagrees) the Monk is from 50 years after the Doctor, and isn't a contemporary of his.

The War Chief... could be, as he's clearly the prototype, but the writer who created both characters says they're different, so that's that.

(It's the War Lord who gets erased by the Timeys, not the War Chief)

10. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. The War Chief gets gunned down by the War Lord's henchmen, after which they're ordered to "Dispose of the traitor's carcase."
    Now he could just, just possibly be seriously injured and faking death till he can regenerate in safety (which is how Terrance Dicks has it in Exodus)... but really, they know he's a Time Lord, you'd think they'd watch out for that sort of trick.

11. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

They know he's a Time Lord, but they may not know that Time Lords can regenerate...

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always try to force the argument that Susan is the Master.

But if Susan is also the Meddling Monk... That's just fricking weird.

13. Emperor-Tiberius

14. Owen Wildish

Owen Wildish Ensign Newbie

15. DrFrankhamstien

DrFrankhamstien Lieutenant Red Shirt

This is very good. I know which side I fall on. David McIntee and I have something in mind, provisionally... So we'll see.