Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Jun 7, 2013.

1. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, but I can't buy that's not a real cleft on the Isis actress' chin. Why would they bother taking the time to give her a fake chin cleft for such a brief shot? It's not like chin clefts are particularly catlike.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Babcock took home $200 for 1 day of work on February 15, 1967 for her "Assignment: Earth" voice work, well after photography had wrapped. Filming a live action role would have meant an extra day of work several weeks prior; it's unlikely she would have done this for free or that it would have not been reflected on the cast sheet.

J.T.B. and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Hmm. I was sure we had this solved, but perhaps the mystery remains.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, we don't. There are three distinct angles on Isis in the scene -- a long shot from the front, a close-up from the same angle, and a fairly wide profile view that ends with her turning her face toward the camera.

5. JonnyQuest037

Hmmm. The chin cleft is a lot more subtle in this shot, but I still don't think she looks much like Babcock. Sorry, Greg.

6. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, well said. There are a lot of obvious errors in Cushman, but I count this forum very lucky that Harvey had been working with the archival material himself and could show how bad some of the primary-source stuff really is. One recent poster was going to present a paper at an academic conference, and he posted a Cushman quote here, and sure enough there was an error in it (though not Star trek related). The more scrutiny the better.

Her union would have made sure of that, I'd imagine.

It's obviously not Barbara Babcock, anyway, "Isis" has a more square jawline and their profiles are way different. It looks about as much like Babcock as it does Vetri.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Hmm. We missed those photos before. The resemblance isn't quite as compelling there to be sure.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  8. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't see her like Barbara Babcock sorry! :shrug:
    JB

9. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Would a cameo not be a step down for someone who had a feature speaking role earlier?

10. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hold on: Allan Asherman's The Star Trek Compendium (first edition) says something different:
    [​IMG]

I don't think Barbara Babcock played Human Isis, but your date is off.

Also, I wonder why "A:E" had a split filming schedule, assuming the book is right.

11. JonnyQuest037

Maybe they shot some pickups later on? I know that was the case with "Mirror, Mirror." Barbara Luna had a cold during the regular filming so they shot her romantic scenes with William Shatner a few weeks later after she'd gotten better.

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The voice over work was recorded after filming had wrapped. Asherman is wrong about the filming schedule; the episode was shot in early January and it wrapped on January 10, 1968.

JonnyQuest037 and Indysolo like this.
  13. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay. It's just that you had it as 1967, which was clearly a typo.

14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The latter being in reference to the former, for clarity's sake.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Oh! Oops!

16. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

This shouldn't be that difficult. Somebody must have gotten paid for that shot. Even extras get paychecks.

17. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Plus, I imagine there would have been a costume fitting, etc., since it looks like a Theiss creation and not something they found in the wardrobe department. But maybe he was able to generate something close enough they were able to pin the actress into on the day of the shoot...

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Interesting piece. I posted a comment on it earlier, but I'll repeat the question here: How did they work out the disagreement with the Director's Guild in order to restore Roddenberry's creator credit in seasons 2-3 (and TAS)? Indeed, all the later Trek series included creator credits in their opening titles, and I think most modern TV series in general do so as well.

20. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

By moving the writer and director credits up to the opening of Act 1.

Neil

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.