DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The word Robin is still in his code name. His costume has Robin elements. Its not like he was called Nightwing from day one.

2. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly (although are we talking about Grayson now?) The whole feels like a very odd "reveal."

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Semantics it might be, but as I pointed out the first time, there was a specific STORY reason why Tim chose the name Red Robin. If you go back to the past and change it so that he has always been Red Robin then you negate that original story reason IMO. Anyway. I've made my views plain already on the matter. As Nerys Myk rightly pointed out we'll find out exactly what they do when the issue comes out. I haven't exactly liked all the Court of Owls changes, but it has been Scott Snyder's writing that has made "Batman" so compelling. So it could be the case for this...although it's Scott Lobdell too so I dunno. LOL :)

4. Derishton

We've known for awhile that Tim's origin would be changing, haven't we? The addition of his Olympic training a couple of months ago already implied other changes were coming. My guess is that he is in the Robin Training Program when Damian shows up, and he's passed over or something. It would at least help fix the timeline.

I'm disappointed there won't be a Robins book. That had huge potential.

5. Admiral_Young

Yeah that's the thing I'm most disappointed about more than the changes. I was really excited for a Robins book and thought that their little confrontations and "fights" were some kind of a potential set up for the thing, but I guess that wasn't the case. Hell I still want a Damian Wayne solo "Robin" series. I doubt that will ever happen, but I think it's time. He's been entrenched in the mythos for long enough now and established himself as a strong character since he was first introduced that I think he could support a solo series now. Unless of course Morrison has plans for him in his grand finale.

6. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This reconn-y stuff seems to happen a lot over in the Lobdell corner. He originally said Superboy's past was intact, and the new book would be 6 months later after Conner had been missing. He also said, IIRC, that the previous versions of the Teen Titans were still in continuity.

7. Admiral_Young

Yeah he said the thing about the previous Teen Titans last year at SDCC or NYCC I believe. Is that not the case any more? "Superboy" I dropped because the NoWhere arc just seemed to be dragging on and not resolved.

8. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From what i can tell, the implication is that the current group is the first Titans--especially since Wally and Donna don't appear to exist anymore.

I dropped Superboy after the first, terrible, issue. Titans, I don't know if I've dropped it, but I haven't picked up an issue since The Culling.

9. Derishton

Teen Titans were in the same category as JLI, as far as I was concerned. Good luck to anyone who wanted to build it from the ground up, but I saw them both the first time and they were great. Both depended to such an extent on the continuity, in ways that other DC properties don't.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait---WHAT.
    BULLSHIT.
    Example #32 on why this nu52 compressed timeline isn't feasible nor desirable.

11. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

They should have just extended Batman's career by 5-10 years but have him working mostly from the shadows. He's obviously more competent than all the other superheroes by the time the JLA is formed, and Green Lantern seemed to think he was an urban legend in JLA #1.

12. Admiral_Young

13. Derishton

Well, that's a relief. They've been trying to make the Joker work as a character for decades with no success. I'm sure a new look will help! Is that lipstick he's putting on? Ooooo, metasexual - watch out, Heartland!

14. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Sigh. I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand, I'm intrigued, and I like the idea of a scarier Joker, on the OTHER hand, I can't give this book to my (impending) son. (True, it won't be able to read for a long, long time... but still.)

I guess my point is: DC has fewer and fewer books for kids to read. It used to be all ages... but then... kids aren't interested in comics anyway...

15. Derishton

I think they've been running scary Joker into the ground. I was enjoying the way Morrison had brought back a turn-on-a-dime Joker who was the sanest man in the room. This looks like a swerve towards the Ledger/Azarello Joker: Ledger was great in the movie, but Azarello's riff on him left me cold.

16. Admiral_Young

I was hoping they'd keep Morrison's scarred Joker around...but looks like they're changing his look yet again. I'm still excited to see what they do with him and what this "game changer" is supposed to be during this arc. The title of the arc obviously is a bit ominous.

17. Derishton

I just tune out the word "game-changer" now. I hear it in my head as "hamster."

18. Admiral_Young

It does seem to be the latest catch phrase describing major change doesn't it?

19. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I didn't know better, I'd say it was a way to capitalize (albeit, 4 years later) on The Dark Knight Joker, which seemed to veer from the "skin bleached white by chemical" look for a "guy wearing a lot of white make-up" look.

20. Admiral_Young

^ That's pretty much what I felt it was...at least the Morrison Joker. IIRC. The Dollmaker cuts the Joker's face off at the end of Detective Comics #1 and thus we have waited almost an entire year to see the consequences of that action. I'm assuming that is what Capullo means with his warning, they're going to be following up on that.

Pulls for today:

-Before Watchmen Silk Spectre #2
    -Wonder Woman #11

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012