Highlander: The Source aka Highlander 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I finally saw this via Netflix hoping for a modestly decent flick after all I had heard about it being shite.

A number of things are wrong with this film but let me state what I think should have been the first sign an executive or producer or studio suit said, "HOLD UP".

The fact its set in a devestated unknown future where chaos reigns. The desolate setting is to akin to The Quickening which was a bad Highlander film.

Then you toss in this cosmic, extradimenional angle and again uneasy similarites to the "immortals as aliens" from Quickening start to surface.

When themes from the worst entry in the series are dominating your script you should sit up and be able to say NO, a 5th Highlander will not happen under this premise. Its not the way to prop up the franchise. Instead they offered the franchise up for remake/reboot.

I swear I think I've seen better special affects as awhole better on 'Wizards of Waverly Place'.

What a dissapointing movie. If they were trying to elevate the work of Uwe Boll then they did a good job.

2. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

total suck, this movie is . . .

The Series will always be my fav

3. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

Worst Highlander EVER. Worse than Highlander 2. I'm sorry I watched it. I want to forget about it.

I hope the remake of the original goes through.

4. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    The shame of it is, there are some elements of the film that are cool. I like the idea of a "super" Immortal. It's one of the few times we get to see an Immortal with power. He was also physically imposing and had the cruel playfulness that harkened back to the Kurgan. It was also great to see some of the original cast together again on film, and a couple of the fight sequences were really well done. I'm also all for trying to explain "The Source" and what Immies fighting is all for if anything.

Other than that? Crap. As you said, another post-apocalyptic future? I mean? Why?! It failed financially the last three times the franchise tried it. What is this odd obsession with that? And the fate of MaCleod's sword? Lame! The final scene just made me scratch my head and make a noise akin to "Bwah?". They seriously need to stop trying to set Highlander in a Mad Max world and just get back to basics.

5. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Highlander II was at least a reasonably competently made sci-fi action/thriller if you just forget that it is a sequel.

Sadly, having thought at the time that it was terrible it has gone on to be my favourite sequel, by default since all the others were simply appalling on every conceivable level. :lol:

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought Final Dimension and Endgame were set in our present, or present day for when they were shown.

7. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

Ah, I see they produced another Highlander installment that thought that it could get away with ignoring the two pivotal Highlander rules:

1) Highlander takes place in present day with flashbacks into the past.

2) The whole immortality thing can't be explained. "It's a kind of magic."

Ignoring those two rules is a recipe for garbage.

8. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Rule 3. Dont mess with the Kurgan!!

9. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    I was talking more about the franchise overall. The trips into post-apocalyptic worlds are:

1. Highlander 2

2. Highlander: The Animated Series

3. Highlander: Vengeance

While "Vengeance" was a really cool film, it didn't do that well on DVD and the other two were total failures financially. It amazes me they keep dipping back into that well.

10. cb31

cb31 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, The Source was HORRIBLE! I don't usually care too much for anime but even I thought Vengeance was much better.

11. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Agreed. Actually, it has the best production values of the entire series, particularly in the big flying fight against the 2 weirdo henchmen. It's impressive how much Sean Connery they were able to pack into the film considering he was only there for a week. And while Ramirez's return is kinda wasted due to the fact that he dies again anyway... IT'S SEAN FUCKING CONNERY!!!!!:techman:

Just forget that it's supposed to be a sequel to the first film and don't ask why they decided to smush together a story about swordfighting immortals and a story about a laser shield replacing the ozone.

But even with the incredibly low standards set by the sequels so far, The Source was STILL a disappointment. Why does it end with a flashback recap of the movie we just watched?! Why kill off Joe Dawson & Methos in such pointless ways?!

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

One review about Highlander 2 said that Connery's constant smirk is because he's thinking about the paycheck he got for appearing in the movie.

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Highlander: The Source blew chunks.

As for the post-apocalyptic future...the strange thing is that they didn't do anything with it. Was it really post-apocalyptic? Or was the town that Duncan was in at the beginning just shitty? Anytime we visit characters outside of "Duncan Town" (such as Methos and the priest guy), everything looks fine and not overly futuristic (save for those nifty telephone glasses).

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It's like they go out of their way to make bad Highlander sequels.

Highlander 6 will be even more shitty. Just watch. :rommie:

15. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Highlander 666: MacLeod vs. Pinhead

16. crouteru

crouteru Captain Captain

I'm done with the Highlander franchise. The first film was and still is my favourite. The anime film Search For Vengeance was good, but nothing else, including the series, interested me. I only watched The Source because I thought it would give us a better origin story for immortals than the awful second movie, but it turned out even worse. Now we have a remake of the original on the way soon aswell? It'll be the final nail in the coffin.

17. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My god, The Source was the biggest piece of crap ever.

It's a real shame how they managed to take all those good characters from the series and managed to make so many shit movies.

18. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I love Highlander II, its a fun movie and it does look good.

19. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

Highlander 2 had good parts, but I still prefer The Final Dimension and even Endgame.

The original film and the series stand head and shoulders above the rest, though.

20. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

There can be only one... movie. Why did they ever bother to make sequels?