Star Wars Episode VII Discussion, News, Interviews (12/18/2015)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Nov 7, 2013.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I always envisioned this picture of Obi-Wan's spirit appearing to Luke, first as Old Ben (Alec Guinness) through the help of some CGI, then he morphs into Ewan McGregor to remind Luke what he looked like as a young Jedi in the prime of his life. That way Sir Alec can be properly acknowledged for the role he played in the Saga and Ewan can return to the role as one of Luke's spirit guides and mentors as he rebuilds the Jedi Order.

2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Random Thoughts:

- Darth Ming! LOL

- Andy is the new half CGI'ish Jar-Jar (he is still alive you know!) LOL

- No Billy Dee? Apparently his dancing did not impress JJ!

- Adam Driver will be a quirky character that uses his powers to get fat girls with over-exaggerated opinions of themselves ;)

- What role will Warwick Davis play? apparently an Ewok Jedi Master!

- Cameo by Ian McDiarmid as ..err. not the Emperor.

- Carrie will be driving miss Daisy ;)

- Chewbacca will be so old he will be shedding like a cat in heat!

- C3PO will finally come out of the closet.

- JJWars has begun.. get out the lens flares.

3. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That could work, and I just remembered that as of the last round of revisions Anakin's spirit in ROTJ was Hayden. So really Obi-Wan is the only one who would require a bit of hand-waving.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The announced cast also includes the Guatemala-born Oscar Isaac. I don't think we've had a Latino actor in a major SW film role before.

5. cooleddie74

Right after the Disney acquisition of Lucasfilm and the making of Episode VII were announced an interviewer asked Ewan if he'd like to come back to the franchise. He gave an enthusiastic "yes, if they asked me I definitely would" reply. He seems to enjoy having played Obi-Wan and I'd love to see him return and interacting with the OT cast.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Ha, yeah. As if he wasn't already sick to death of talking about SW to begin with, now he's going to have to talk about little ELSE for the next 10 years!

(Assuming of course he doesn't make Abrams kill off Han in the first movie)

7. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Well if Obi Wan was not a force ghost in ESB and ROTJ then maybe they could have brought him back as a force ghost. Kinda hard now to do that, since Alec Guinness was Obi Wan in ghost form. Nobody in the new film except R2D2 would remember Obi-Wan as he was in the prequels. Chewie only dealt with Yoda back then. Those 2, and to a degree C3PO, are the only links left to that era.

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Trivia alert: J.J. Abrams' second credit as a screenwriter was Regarding Henry, which starred Harrison Ford.

9. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Jimmy Smits would be the closest I'd imagine.

10. cooleddie74

Of course, all that didn't stop Lucas from changing Anakin's force ghost from Sebastian Shaw to Hayden Christensen and Luke had never seen that version of his father, only the scarred, broken and dying shell of a man under the Vader helmet. The Hayden spirit - as much as many fans hate it - would give the creators the leeway to depict Obi-Wan's ghost as a younger version of himself if they wanted.

11. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know I'm in the minority here, but Hayden's Force ghost was one of the few changes that I was completely okay with. It just made sense to me.

12. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Yes, his appearance before he turned to the Dark Side. That change does make sense.

13. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

The creepy leering look wasn't that great. I didn't have a problem with him being there, though.

14. cooleddie74

Continuity-wise it makes a lot more sense, but I can see why some fans were and remain upset that Sebastian Shaw was removed and replaced. That said: most of Shaw's performance is still in the film. He's still the actor who trades last words with Luke before Anakin dies, and the only things Lucas changed were his eye color (to match Hayden's and Jake Lloyd's) and eyebrows, which were digitally removed to match the rest of his head.

Sebastian Shaw is still Anakin Skywalker in the final moments of his life. Just not the Force ghost afterwards.

15. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Can we see that picture with more lens flare please?

16. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

Careful... “When the Gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.”

― Oscar Wilde

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That was back then when he was still Jeffrey Abrams. Before he turned to the dark side.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree it kinda made sense, but it still looks horribly out of place having Christensen show up at the end of that movie. No matter how many times I watch it.

19. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps Obi-Wan made some new Holocron recordings about the Jedi during his exile. He didn't have much else to do.

Personally I'd like to see him back for an Obi-Wan movie for the 50th Anniversary in 2027. He'll still be a few years younger than Alec was when he played the role. God willing.

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It made sense? Did it make no sense in the 80s when Shaw showed up?