Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Well, it's been a long time coming, but the Yamato's keel is complete as well as the first row of the hull over the waterline. Measuring in at 356 meters long an 37 meters wide, it took me one hell of a long time to surface the floor. I need to go do some research on cross sections. I'd like to try to make this as accurate as possible. Here's the first pic. The hash-marks in the floor are in 10 meter increments, with bigger marks at the 50 and 100 meter increments. Enjoy!
    [​IMG]

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I'm kinda wondering who will finish their big ship first!

3. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Haha, they kind of look similar in length, but Gebirg's got more surface area, so I don't know. You do have me beat in length though. Maybe I'll end up finishing first. Kind of looks like it could be a sub at this point. I like how you've layed out the measurements. And I find it interesting how we're using some of the same ideas in helping us build it. Though, I assume you're using cobble? Btw, are you building it on the server?

4. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

I'm getting pretty proud of the plantation Owain and I have set up :D

[​IMG]

Between four crops, my enchantment platform and the eventual move from spawners to breeding, we've got quite a bit going on.

5. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks great so far!

Well, I guess now that I'm back home I might as well start researching how potions work.

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Thanks much - yes, the main surface area is cobble, but the outer hull will be smelted stone, to help it survive explosions from the outside, if necessary.

And I'm doing this on my own local machine in single-player mode, from (I think) a v1.3 generated map.

You will probably finish yours a lot sooner than mine. The hull will go relatively quick, but the superstructure, turrets and AA emplacements will take for bloody ever to complete. I'm taking it slow and steady for now, interleaving it with other projects. I just got a wild hair recently to do something with it. I've given up on getting enough red wool to fill in the water line for now. Unless I can get a good steady supply of sheep, I'll likely just put down more stone at the waterline. It's weird, I used to have sheep running around all over the place and they now seem to have migrated out of the area. Guess I'll have to wait for the next herd to ramble through.

7. Owain Taggart

Yeah, I do like the area quite a bit. Btw Spock, you should fix the melon patch. I noticed that it needs replanting.

Oh and Gebirg, maybe you should do like what I've done, but then again it isn't exactly easy to use spawners in singleplayer. Which makes the breeding better for singleplayer, but I think I'll stick with the spawner method on the server. It's too bad that there are some things that are much harder to do in singleplayer.

Btw, I know someone mentioned there being a Minecraft reference in Skyrim in the form of the Notched Pickaxe, but it also goes both ways. Minecraft has a reference to the Elder Scrolls in its enchantments:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Enchantments

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  8. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

with warps down, and my plantaion on the other side of Avalon city, I might need to start building a new one.

9. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's something I didn't expect to read today: Jeb is now Minecraft's lead developer. Notch will still be involved, but Jeb makes the final design decisions and Notch will be splitting his time with a new project.

10. Robert Maxwell

I heard about that a couple days ago, when it was still just a rumor based on a couple vague tweets from Notch. Guess it's true! From what I hear, Jeb tends to have a better grasp on what people like about Minecraft and where to take its development, so I look forward to seeing what it looks like under his direction.

11. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree, Jeb does seem more in tune with what the community wants while Notch (somewhat understandably) didn't want to add other people's ideas into the game because it was his game. So that makes me optimistic that some cool mod ideas might get added. At the same time, going from two full-time developers to one is a step back. I know development on the game will end eventually, but that point seems closer today.

12. Robert Maxwell

Yeah, but Notch has also indicated that when MC development ends and they consider the game over and done with, they'll open-source it. He could always go back on that, of course, but if a few years from now the game is totally opened and given to the community, I'm convinced it will have a long and interesting life.

13. Owain Taggart

I was testing sheep breeding, but as far as I'm concerned it's next to useless. I suppose it's fine if it's the only way of getting wool quickly enough, but it takes too long for the sheep to mature, and you better have lots of wheat around as you need one bundle for each sheep you want to tag, which is a lot of wheat if you have lots of sheep you want to breed. I'm going to continue using the proven method of sheering them and killing them and waiting for them to respawn.

14. Cutter John

Sheep would be so much more useful if they regrew their wool over time.

So has anyone else encountered a glitch on the server where you get stuck when you try to walk past or through a hatchway?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  15. Owain Taggart

Yeah, was wondering if it was just me. The weird thing is, it seems to happen in particular spots. Your treehouse station for instance. I have trouble getting down that ladder due to the hatch.

16. Cutter John

Yeah, I had trouble with that one too and ended up just breaking it off. The glitch is sporatic though, so I replaced it later. Feel free to take your pick to it if it gets to be a pain.

I've also run into it in the underground chamber at the town square, and even the shutters at the cactus tree farm (which now has a stop and a branch line to my tree).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  17. Owain Taggart

I wonder what's causing it? We haven't had trouble with them until recently.

Oh and I noticed the new stop. Took a ride on it and noticed it was another one to your house :)

18. Robert Maxwell

If anything is causing the glitch, it would be the test build we're running. I intend to try to upgrade it tonight, although it's going to be touch-and-go since we still don't have a recommended Bukkit build.

19. Cutter John

20. Owain Taggart

Well hell, that might make sheep farming more efficient. What I'm not clear on is if you grow wheat in their pen and they eat it, making the cycle more automatic, or if you have to feed them wheat manually.

Btw, do note blocks work anymore? One thing I've noticed while taking a ride on the rail is that it no longer chimes like it used to.