THOR: Grading, Discussion, Review **SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 17, 2011.

?

What grade do you give THOR?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2011.
  1. A+

25 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. A

48 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. A-

49 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. B+

33 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. B

24 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. B-

9 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. C

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

any robots in this? i wanna check it out tomorrow after work.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Grrr...I guess you could count the Destroyer as a robot.

3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We got the Captain America trailer when I saw it early last week.

4. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The one that springs to mind is Garth Ennis' Thor: Vikings. I wasn't a huge fan of that though.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

You know, I'll go see this movie as it looks interesting (saving for the stuff in his home planet which looks like corny OTT alien-world/overdone mythological times stuff) but I've got to say that, for me, Thor has a lot of memories to overcome in my head.

Because when I think of Thor all I can think about is the little girl in "Adventures in Babysitting" who was obsessed with the character to the point of mistaking a Chicago garage owner for the classic hero.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Asgard's not a planet but a higher dimensional plane of existence.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah, it's an asteroid floating about in a higher dimensional plane.

I found it amusing that Imperiatrix Llandria was in awe of Odin during the trial of Reed Richards, when Gladiator wasn't disposed in the slightest with handing Thor his ass in FF 250.

But it seems that the Asgardians might have been fucking about on a lot of planets in 616 setting themselves up as gods for untold millennia.

8. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed the movie. I thought it was well cast, the Asgardians were reasonably portrayed, Loki's plan was odd but sensible to an Asgardian, and Thor's arrogance harked back to his early arrogance nicely. It had some nice Easter Egg moments for fans, and teased us ready for the Avengers movie. Overall though, I thought Iron Man was a bit more entertaining (Iron Man 2 was a bit more on par with this one). You can't really compare all that well to the X-men movies as the mutants have always had a different, distinct style to the Avengers characters but Thor was definitely a more fun, more intelligent movie than Wolverine. Saw the trailer for the Cap A movie though and I admit I'm really looking forward to it!

9. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

A-

Saw it at a free screenin' last night.

I liked it, right up there with The Incredible Hulk, but not as good as Iron Man. One of my friends did comment that it was better than Iron Man 2, and I suppose I can agree with that...

Love Stan Lee's cameo, and Hawkeye's introduction was pretty cool.

I may go see it again, take the older nephews or something.

10. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That explains a minor query I had. As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, I haven't read any of the comics and thought there was probably a reason why that particular character went for a Bow rather than a rifle. I have heard mention of that character before and hadn't realised at first:)

11. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

review coming this evening, but a spoiler for you guys

it will contain the word "easy"

also

Transformers & PotC continue to anony

12. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Well, the news that Jeremy Renner would be playin' Hawkeye in The Avengers was announced at SDCC last year. And I read beforehand that there was a shot of "Hawkeye" in one of the trailers, a silhouette in the rain of a guy holdin' a bow & arrow.

But that was definately Jeremy Renner in Thor as Hawkeye. No question about it.

13. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

That was great by the way. Loved seeing him in it.

14. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saw it tonight. Loved it. Hemsworth was perfect, Loki was suave as fuck, Darcy was hot, and the ties to the greater Marvel universe were interwoven nicely. Can't wait for Cap and The Avengers.

A+

16. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

right here is my promised review

Easy

Thor is a very easy movie, in nearly every way, its an easy watch, which dont get me wrong is a good thing in a movie, but the whole plot just felt a little too easy, and situtions too quickly resolved.

So Thor has been banished to Earth, to learn some humility, and become worthy of the hammer, 2 or 3 days later (ok so I didnt keep track of the passage of time) he is in love with an Earth girl (Jane), and willing to sacrifice himself for her, and possibly the human race, he just learnt his lesson really quick, and very easily. Its ilke it was the first anytime anyone showed up any kindess, which given his band of merry men and the fact he is basically Prince of the Asgard, seems highly unlikely. Heck its not like Jane didnt have her own reasons for doing so.

ok I get that he wasnt sent down to Earth because he wasnt physical enough in fights, but even without his hammer he is meant to be a strong guy, some stronger fights would not have hurt, make it all feel less easy.

The final confronation with Loki (who couldnt quite seem to fully commit to his deal with the Frost Giants when his adpoted Dads life was in the balance, when earlier it seemed he was quite happy for them to kill him) he has the very easily option of Loki loosing his grip and falling from the bridge to the earth. (Again cutting Asgard off Earth being a problem only becasue of his brief hoilday flind, as if he hadnt had one of those before.) That said its possible it was a duplicate of Loki who feel, the real Loki making a safer trip to Earth.

All that said, the two worlds appoarched seemed to work well for the movie, and the casting of Anthony Hopkins (Odin) and Chris Helmsworth was really good.

An easy movie to view, but the plot was just as easy, and the movie suffered for it.

On to other issues, I had to ask the cinema to turn the screen on, 5 minutes after the movie was due to start the screen was still black, wasnt impressed, and the Transformers trailer annonyed me, I was interested by the idea that Neil Armstrong had gone to the moon for another reason, was dissapointed to learn it was to look at a Transformer.

17. Servo

He was stripped of all his power and turned into an ordinary human man, he wasn't just Thor without the hammer. He'd have been killed in tougher fights, as was proved when the Destroyer fucked him over with just a wave of its hand. As a well built human with hand-to-hand combat knowledge, he was good against Coulson's soldiers, but not much else.

Erm, no. Loki's intention was never for the Frost King to kill Odin. He tricked the Frost King into coming to Asgard to kill Odin so he could use the attempt on Odin's life as a reason to declare war on Jotunheim and destroy it, so he could prove to Odin that he was more worthy of the throne than Thor.

Loki didn't lose his grip, he intentionally let go of the staff so Thor would believe him dead.

Seriously, did you even pay attention during the film?

It's a Transformers trailer. What were you expecting him to find? A Thundercat?

18. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

ok Loki let go, but that was still an easy out for Thor, he didnt have to do anything he might not have wanted to, mayb e a decesion a king migh have made, however maybe destorying the bridge was that decesion.

19. Servo

How was it an easy out? Thor is still going to have to deal with him in the future, seeing as he's being set up as a villain in the Avengers movie.

And yeah, he sacrificed his love for Jane and his desire to protect Earth to stop Jotunheim from being destroyed and protect Asgard. We know he'll get back to Earth somehow, but he doesn't know that. Even Heimdall doesn't seem to know every way in and out of Asgard, as Loki pointed out.

20. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

Its an easy out for Thor, as he didnt have to decide what to do with Loki, the decesion was taken out of his hands.

You dont think his time on Earth was a bit brief? for him to hold such feelings for Jane?