Sony rebooting Starship Troopers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TheNatureRoy, Dec 2, 2011.

1. TheNatureRoy

TheNatureRoy Lieutenant Red Shirt

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It's not really a reboot so much as a new adaptation of the book.

3. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Exactly!

I liked the original movie but I will give this new adaptation a viewing.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I love those writers!!!! I'm officially excited. They write military sci-fi action really, really well.

5. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Possibly. Alternately, the writers could soften Heinlein's message - a film that's generally pro-military without making service equalling citizenship and all that rot.

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

8. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I very much consider the original to be in my top ten, if not top five, films of all time. So this had better be spectacular.

9. Dan_theNerd

Dan_theNerd Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Keyword here: veteran.

If you actually read Heinlein's work, you'll see that the Starship Troopers system strictly forbids current and active soldiers/sailors/etc from voting and running for political office. Only veterans.

For the record, as a fan of the book ST, I just want to say to anyone that thinks Verhoeven's movie was accurate and true to Heinlein's book and vision - you are sorely mistaken. Verhoeven took a philosophy and piece of speculative literature and completely perverted it into a left-wing hippie gunfight sexfest. With bad dialogue.

Still, a fun movie though.

Jedi Marso likes this.
  10. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Presactly

11. TheNatureRoy

TheNatureRoy Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yeah, kinda like the Spider-Man & Superman reboots...

Reboot, remake, fresh take, whatever... Semantics. In any event, it could be cool.

12. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Another Willie Wonka remake here? America should be shot for being so stupid to waste so much money when people are starving on main st., USA. Greed is good. I forgot. That guy should be boiled in oil. Fool me once. It certainly is never gonna be as good. Do we need a different take on man vrs. intelligant giant bug? Seems to me it's been done, especially when there's so many other things that deserve to get done and aren't.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And it should also be noted that the general population is not lacking in RIGHTS. Look at Rico's family, for example; they seemed fairly well off. Veterans may be the only ones who can actually vote, but the entire population - civilian and citizen alike - enjoys the full protection of the law.

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see a Starship Troopers TV series. But a movie I can take or leave.

I wouldn't trust any society, no matter how well-meaning, to safeguard people's rights. People have to safeguard their own rights. If they cannot vote, they will lose their rights sooner or later (even if they can vote, they better keep their wits' about them!)

However, if military service is so widespread that everyone knows a veteran among their friends and family, that might mitigate unfairness. The real problems stem from a whole segment of society being disenfranchised, with nobody to look out for them.

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ In the book, everyone is eligible to serve so one chooses to be disenfranchised by not serving.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  16. Gojira

I think that it is a little different than that. It is just like the recent True Grit movie. That was not a remake of the 1969 version starring John Wayne. No the more recent movie was an adaptation of the source material...a novel.

So this Starship Troopers will not be a remake of the other movie but an adaptation of the source material...a novel.

17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I love the original film, the sequels and book notsomuch. I'll watch the new one though, fer sure. :)

18. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I don't think many people DO think it's an accurate version of the book. It's better. It's a fantastic satire of the book itself. You'll have to point out here the left wing hippies are.

That we can agree on.

19. Gojira

The third movie..marauders wasn't too bad.

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It disenfranchises people who choose not to serve.