(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We'll be sure to give you a 3-0 headstart next season before we pull it back and win......:guffaw:

2. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

They are both out of contract. I don't know who else they have on big money - probably Martins, Coloccini, Duff, and probably Alan Smith and Joey Barton knowing them.

I suspect Newcastle might benefit in the long run from a spell in the Championship. If their "loyal" fans keep filling up St James' Park, revenue will be good, and they would surely be an attractive side for the better players. They've got a few young players who look decent prospects - Andy Carroll will probably shine for example.

If Ashley can keep them in business long enough for Shearer (or his replacement) to build a team of men who want to play for the club, they'll be back up in no time.

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, even if they lose a lot of players, I would still make them odds on favourites to win the Championship next season and come straight back up. It could end up being good for them, clearing out the dead wood will give them a chance to get back on to a solid cost base and get some players in who are committed to Newcastle and not just using the club as a stepping stone.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I hope Owen goes to a decent club that should give him a boost because he can still score but has always been a striker who needs the team to be playing well to score, hes not like Rooney or Torres who can lift the team up by themselves. I still feel with there debts Man Utd must look at a free transfer of Owen as good buissness and buy him in the summer mainly because they need a natural goalscorer in there squad and Fegie almost went after him during the last 2 transfer windows.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

There would be a lot of plusses to signing Owen- he's a free transfer, and a damn fine goalscorer. On the downside he is injury prone, and his wages would be steep for, essentially, a bit part player. Fergie could probably find someone younger, fitter and (even with a transfer fee) cheaper.

Newcastle definitely need to clear the decks, the question is how much it will cost them to do that, and whilst they probably do need players who will play for Newcastle, they also need fans with a slightly more realistic opinion of their club's place in this world. Be very interesting to see if St James keeps filling to the rafters when the likes of Blackpool or Plymouth come calling as well.

6. Tomalak

Rafa was allegedly offered him in the summer for a million and 45k wages, and turned him down. From what I've heard, his back is fucked, and he'll never play at a high level again. He lost interest in football when it became obvious his England days were over, and all he's really after is one last payday so he can focus on his horses.

Talk about Manchester United seems crazy. They dumped Saha, who has more life in him. I bet Spurs sign him though!

7. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Super-boring game so far with Chelsea employing an innovative 10-0-0 tactic.

8. Angel4576

The kind of defensive display that most foreign teams are incapable of, which is why English teams dominate the game at the moment.

It doesn't come as much of a surprise that Barcelona were unable to break Chelsea down. Job half done, another all-English final is looking inevitable I'm afraid.

9. Tomalak

Barca were there for the taking. Shocking lack of ambition from Hiddink after all the talk before the match.

10. Nivilla1982

Nivilla1982 Ensign Newbie

Is it really advantage Chelsea? I can see Barca winning in London.

11. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dismissing Barca when there is such a thing as the away goal rule is a bit premature.

12. Roger Wilco

Barcelona clearly is the favourite to go to the finals, 0:0 away is not a good result in the European Cup.

13. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

It's not advantage Chelsea by a long shot, and it was a boring game, but I loved watching Barca's overrated primadonnas get frustrated by not scoring. And Guardiola whining during the post-match press conference was great too.

Alves and Iniesta constantly rolling around was ridiculous. They almost made Drogba look like an honest player.

14. Angel4576

Marquez and Puyol both out for the second leg. Providing Chelsea keep 11 men on the field, they'll win the second leg. Barcelona have been eliminated on English soil three times in the last four seasons. Can't see this one being much different. Defensively, particularly away from home they're not great, and with key players missing, Chelsea should have more than enough.

IMO, Chelsea can probably afford to concede and still win. Doesn't really bother me either way, I'm not a Chelsea fan, but they're like robots at home in Europe, they just grind out results and I expect they'll do the same in the second leg. To be honest, it really wouldn't surprise me if Barce don't score.

From memory, last season, when Barcelona went to OT in the SFs, didn't they also have Eto'o, Henry and Messi in the squad? Yet United stopped them scoring with a defence that included Wes Brown and Owen Hargreaves. Barce are great with the ball, and generally tend to have plenty of possession, but over the last three or four years they've struggled to really make this count against English opposition. The only success they've had is when the English team's been down to 10 men (Chelsea, Arsenal).

15. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was amusing to see how frustrated Barca got when the German ref didn't offer them the same level of protection, or go for the play acting, that regularly features in Primera games.

16. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

:lol: No small feat.

17. Roger Wilco

Impressive performance by Scum, at least in the first half, a lot better than either team yesterday. Although I doubt they are happy with the 1:0, that still gives Arsenal a shot in the second leg, which wouldn't have been necessary.

Anyway, I hope Barcelona makes it, could be an interesting match. If Chelsea advances to the final, I won't bother watching.

18. Angel4576

I agree. Another bout of Man United Vs Chelsea isn't my idea of fun. Arsenal Vs Barcelona would be many people's idea of a great final, but sadly it looks as though Man United will be there again.

I find it difficult to look beyond United winning it again sadly.

19. Tomalak

I seem to recall last year's final clashed with The Apprentice, so I only tuned in for the penalties. Even laughing like a drain when "JT" fell on his fat arse wasn't enough to distract from the reality of Wayne Rooney waving aloft the only thing with ears larger than his own.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Christopher Eccleston?