Is the Playstation 4 About to be announced??

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AlphaMan, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Sony recently announced they shipped more not sold more than 360 consoles though they will edge M/S by the end of this cycle. However despite Sony making a great comeback after a piss poor start they still sell less games on the PS3 and I bet XBox gains more revenue from XBL than Sony does from PSN. Sony had a huge marketshare in 2005 and they loss so much of it.

3. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed.MSFT is making a ton on XBL, no doubt because the PSN is free. Where Sony drops the ball is on marketing their games. Allowing COD to have a 30 day headstart on XBL is a bad move, IMHO. They have to do more to neutralize XBL's advantage in North America.

When I say PS3 outsold 360, I mean since its release in 2006. They have pretty much equal marketshare worldwide and the PS3 has been in the market for a year less than the 360.... and at all times, $100 more than the 360. A price drop and some marketing would do Somy wonders, but that's hard to do when the company is loosing so much money.

Today is te big day!! Spike TV will be airring the conference!

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Somebody wake me when it get to $299. Then I'll give a shit about it.

5. AlphaMan

Did anyone else watch the livestream? The PS4 is officially real. A powerful 8 core AMD x86 processor, 8GB of unified DDR5 RAM and a top of the line GPU. Considering the PS3 has 256 MB of RAM and another 256 RAM to GPU, that seems like a quantum leap.

No price point, no release date, no PS Vita price drop, and a lot of people seem annoyed that they didn't actually show the PS4 box.... and only 1 new IP.

Looks like Playstation Mobile will be available on a ton of devices... perhaps even iOS and Android.

Ubisoft's Watchdogs looks good. Killzone Shadow Fall looks like it was running at least 60 frames per second and inFAMOUS Second Son looks downright amazing. We didn't see anything from Naughty Dog, but Bungie came out and showed the Playstation some major love with exclusive content for the PS4. Pretty excited that Diablo III is coming to consoles, but bummed that there was no footage of it running on a PS3 or PS4.

All in all, it looks like it's going to be a great platform.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  6. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Man, that was boring. I was hoping for a few "$599!!!!" or "RIDDDDDGE RACER" memes. There wasn't even a "Giant Enemy Crab" moment ... :sigh:

7. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm looking for a statement something like: "The Playstation 4 requires an online connection to use." If there's no physical media and no game discs to buy, Sony effectively will eliminate the second hand market, something the game industry is dying to do.

I'm enjoying this blog:
    http://www.dpaddbags.com/blog/the-sony-playstation-4-launch-announcement-drinking-game/
    Take a drink if the Playstation 4 requires an always-on internet connection.
    Take two drinks if always-on DRM is described as a benefit to consumers.
    Finish your drink if the crowd cheers that previous statement.

I'll have no part of a cloud based console. What the fuck is the point of that? I'll happily go back to PC gaming if the future of the console market is based around getting assfucked by game companies that are going to bully consumers into paying for their bullshit no-media software, reeking of senseless "social media" features. I'm paying for it = I want to hold it and put it on my shelf. Non-negotiable.

(From Wikipedia):

Announced titles

This is a list of games currently announced for the PlayStation 4.
    Title Publisher/Developer
    Deep Down
    (working title)[11] Capcom
    Destiny
    [12] Bungie
    Diablo III
    [13] Blizzard Entertainment
    Driveclub
    [14] Evolution Studios
    Final Fantasy
    (TBA)[15] Square Enix
    Infamous: Second Son
    [16] Sucker Punch Productions
    Killzone: Shadow Fall[17] Guerrilla Games
    Knack
    [18] SCE Japan Studio
    Watch Dogs
    [19] Ubisoft Montreal
    The Witness
    [20] Jonathan Blow

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Why the hell would ANYONE play Diablo III on the PS4 which the game is infinitely better being played on a PC? :wtf:

9. ALF

If you're saying that it's a game for a mouse/keyboard and not a console dual joystick layout, then I'm entirely in agreement.
    I think Diablo III is more of a fit with the DMCA and always-online anti-piracy that makes it a launch title. THAT is the philosophy moving forward driving the gaming industry and it is why I will never accept it. The era of the gamer being in charge is over.

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Except Sony is just copying Nintendo anyways by allowing PS4 games to be streamed to a Vista. Why bother even something original.

On a different note.

And why would anyone want the PSN for free, it won't be free when the hackers steal your info.

11. AlphaMan

I didn't see anything that suggested no physical media. Seeing as how Sony invented Blu-ray and there are reports that the next Xbox will adopt a BD drive, I doubt Sony will abandon it now.

Always online would make me hesitate too. There are too many outages in my neck of the woods to tolerate that. Part of the advantage of console gaming is the added security of being on a closed system. There has been very little in the way of piracy on consoles.

12. AlphaMan

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Worldwide yes, but not in every market. In markets like the N. America and the UK. Doesn't the 360 still out sell the PS3?

http://www.techradar.com/news/gamin...surpass-nintendo-wiis-uk-sales-record-1131356

14. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

So, the bullit points thanks to joystiq:

It's basically a PC so it won't play PS3 games...
    So if you want to play PS3 games you will have to keep that system as well...

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks like you got that with the share button and functionality.

16. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you don't want that crap, the last thing you'd want to do is return to PC gaming. This always online DRM bullshit started on PC, and it's unusual these days to purchase physical copies of PC games, they're mostly downloaded through services like Steam or Origin.

Why should I have to pay to access Youtube or browse the internet? I can get my head around charging for multiplayer gaming and Microsoft services, but why in the fuck should I have to pay to access external services?

I have a 360 and it's a great machine, I've purchased twice as many games for it than I ever bought for the PS2. But the nickel-and-diming MS does with Xbox Live has me really temped to jump back to the PS4.

17. ALF

What an incredible relief... they seemed to have carefully phrased it for old school, offline grumpy gamers like me! :D
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-playstation-4-does-not-require-an-internet-connection

"Does the PlayStation 4 always need to be connected to the internet, I asked? "You can play offline, but you may want to keep it connected," he suggested. "The system has the low-power mode - I don't know the official term - that the main system is shut down but the subsystem is awake. Downloading or updating or you can wake it up using either the tablet, smartphone or PS Vita."
    Are all of those things optional, though? For people who have broadband data limits, for example? They can customise everything?
    "Oh yes, yes, you can go offline totally. Social is big for us, but we understand there are some people who are anti-social! So if you don't want to connect to anyone else, you can do that."

Maybe I'll get to enjoy Diablo III, after all. Thing is, I'm still not done with Lord of Destruction.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Ahh, more energy-leeching technology. Just what we all need.

19. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

...posted from a computer or phone to a forum dedicated to an entertainment franchise. Yes, no hypocrisy here at all! :lol:

20. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

There are still people who have data limits on broadband? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Gee.. thanks for calling me a dinosaur because i don't want to update any of my friends (real and those i can make with a click of the mouse) about anything i do! I still have my phone and email and the people who i want to be contacted by know how to get ahold of me.
    Damn.. that was one of the most arrogant statements i read in a while! :rolleyes:

As to the PS4 presentation.. weak sauce by not showing the thing itself. The controller looks sleek but i want to see the main machine.

And i couldn't help but smile broadly when i read that people will be able to play used games on it.. i guess Sony is really up against the wall when they're not trying to antagonize their customers.

The PS4 has to be a big hit or else Sony is in very serious trouble.. it needs a golden goose right now.

Let's wait and see what MS has in store.. i don't believe this generation console war will be decided by raw processing power but by unique and interesting gadgets.. so far i didn't hear much from Sony but MS has some cool things in store. Question is how much of it is hype and what's real?