TCM Genre movies schedule...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Klaus, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yes, there absolutely is, because the problem is that they rape, period. To imply that raping men is somehow different or worse than raping women is both homophobic and misogynistic. I mean, what if you replaced "rape" with "rob" or "beat" or "murder"? Would it matter whether the victims were men or women? By singling out "raping men" as being an issue rather than just "raping people," you are implicitly saying that raping women is more natural or acceptable.

And that phrasing you use -- "certain men" -- that's a dead giveaway of homophobia, of singling out a group that's "different." For generations, one of the perennial lies used to justify the demonization of homosexuality was -- and still is -- that homosexuals were the same as child molesters, i.e. rapists. Which is a complete lie, of course, because rape is not an act of sex, it's an act of violence. It has nothing to do with whom the rapist finds sexually desirable, only with whom they find vulnerable.

And I think it's disgusting that you think having a negative opinion of a movie is more reprehensible than propagating a negative stereotype of an entire cultural group. And that is the last thing I have to say to you.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Lol, well Trek_God_1, I think you can add yourself to the legion of us who have been put on Christopher's ignore list for having an opinion he doesn't agree with. You'd think he would be running out of people to talk to by now.

3. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Bull. You are blinded by the view from your soapbox, which is completely inapplicable to a specific group engaging in specific act.
    1. No one was comparing the rape of a woman to the real situation in Tennessee, as it was not part of the discussion. You did that.
    2. You have shifted your positions (or run away from them) so many times in this discussion that you're no longer in the discussion. Guy, you are so hard-wired to make blanket judgements about those who (unlike you) actually know the region and specific people committing an equally specific act of rape, that you cannot begin to see the self-defeating hypocrisy in arguing in the manner you do now.
    3. Further, in trying to "defend" those who happened to be committing homosexual acts of rape (by screaming against those who recognize the defining detail of the act for what it is) you are tossing them--criminals--in the same category as every homosexual in the world, yet you cannot see that from the view provided by that soapbox.
    You have chained a criminal act to homosexuality in general. You're not defending it, but adding a negative perception to it.

1. For a guy who so often asks other members not to "misrepresent my statements," you have little trouble committing the same act, and I've caught you in another lie: you were not just having a negative opinion of a movie you did not see, but you catapulted from fiction into reality by claiming the film needed to answer for its "stereotyping" all Appalachian people, which is demonstrably false. But how would you know? Out of the gates, you've admitted never watching the film (and we can assume you did not read the novel on which its based), and it is clear you know nothing about the real individuals from or region of Tennessee I referred to.
    2. What is truly disgusting is that you cannot see that your astoundingly self-invalidating position did not prevent your total hypocrisy in not only accusing the filmmakers of stereotyping, but damning relatives you do not know (and the real experiences of male on male rape they know as fact) from a sub-culture, region & history you know nothing about, all to support your constructed "outrage" over an equally (and loosely) constructed accusation of an "attack" on an entire group...when you had no trouble doing the very same thing in your hole-ridden, evidence-free crusade.
    We can conclude that to you, truth and "outrage" only flows in one direction.

You are not kidding. Its actually sad for the man to behave in that manner.

Moderators, this has gone far enough: if Christopher insists on making sweeping judgements, mischaracterizing just about every part of this discussion and--frankly--posting lies in order to sell his agenda born only from his mind, then he cannot offer anything of value, and I will not engage in his nonsense beyond this post.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  4. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Right now I want BOTH of you - @Christopher and @TREK_GOD_1 to go to neutral corners. This sidebar has taken us so far off topic I'd need to borrow Cmdr Sinclair's Ouija board to find my way back! There is to be NO more pursuit of this topic or there will be warnings.

5. Christopher

So anyway, I watched Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein today. It's the first time I've seen it, or any A&C film, in decades, and it's a reminder of why I haven't watched an A&C film in decades. It's a reasonably entertaining comedy, but I've never really liked Abbott and Costello much. Costello was somewhat funny, but on the verge of being annoying at times. And Abbott is just unpleasant, mean, and bullying. I can see how they're the template for characters like Ernie and Bert, and maybe Gilligan and the Skipper (though those two owe much, much more to Laurel and Hardy), but usually a pairing like that works because the angry/frustrated straight man still has some charm or likeability. (The Gilligan producers screen-tested for the Skipper using a scene where he really piled endless abuse on Gilligan, and Alan Hale, Jr. was the only one who could pull it off without seeming sadistic.) But Abbott... there is absolutely nothing to like about this person. He doesn't seem to like his partner at all. Maybe it's because, according to Wikipedia, they'd had a personal falling out a few years earlier, though they'd nominally patched it up enough to resume working together.

It is interesting to see Lugosi play Dracula again. Lon Chaney, Jr. doesn't do much for me as Talbot, though, and Glenn Strange is a virtual non-entity, which is ironic considering that he's the title character (never mind hairsplitting about the name "Frankenstein"). It is interesting that they decided to play the monsters straight and save the comedy for A&C's reactions to them. (And I liked the cartoon morphing effect when Dracula turned into a bat and back.)

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

So I watched the first 30 minutes of DRACULA'S DOG last night. Nothing about it being based on a book by Ken Johnson in the opening credits, just a screenplay credit for a Frank Perelli. So I'm guessing the book was just a novelization of the movie.

In case anyone was still wondering about this . . ...

7. Christopher

^What we were wondering about was whether it was based on John W. Campbell's "Who Goes There?", as Wikipedia claimed. But that credit would seem to disprove that claim, unless it was an unauthorized adaptation.

8. Greg Cox

Different debate. That was about HORROR EXPRESS.

The provenance of DRACULA'S DOG was a separate discussion, regarding whether the book was based on the movie or the other way around.

9. Christopher

Oh, yeah. I didn't read closely enough. Oops.

10. Christopher

Here comes October, which is naturally loaded with horror and sci-fi:

SUN 10/2
    10:00 AM: Heaven Can Wait ('43): Afterlife comedy from Ernst Lubitsch, seen here fairly often.
    8:00 PM: Frankenstein ('31)
    9:30 PM: Bride of Frankenstein ('35)
    11:00 PM: Son of Frankenstein ('39)
    Oh, boy, the whole trilogy! In order, no less!

MON 10/3
    1:00 AM: The Wizard of Oz ('25): Silent version, made with the involvement of L. Frank Baum's son, and starring Oliver Hardy as the Tin Woodman (a part I would've thought better suited to Stan Laurel).
    4:45 AM: The Curse of the Cat People ('44)
    10:00 PM: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001): Part of a Christopher Lee theme night.

FRI 10/7-SAT 10/8: A '20s horror marathon of mostly silent films, followed by a couple of later horror films we've seen in this list before:
    8:00 PM: Nosferatu ('22): F.W. Murnau's famous Dracula adaptation.
    9:45 PM: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari ('20)
    11:15 PM: Unholy Three ('25): Not actually horror, but has horror star Lon Chaney, Sr. as a ventriloquist heading a circus crime ring. Directed by Tod Browning.
    1:00 AM: The Phantom of the Opera ('25)
    2:45 AM: Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages ('22)
    4:45 AM: The Penalty ('20): Another Chaney crime boss, this time an amputee seeking revenge on his, er, amputator.
    6:30 AM: The Unknown ('27): More Browning, circuses, Chaney as criminal, and Chaney playing amputee. Some weird themes showing up here.
    7:30 AM: Mad Love ('35)
    9:00 AM: Isle of the Dead ('45)

SUN 10/9: The next three Universal Frankenstein movies.
    8:00 PM: Ghost of Frankenstein ('42)
    9:15 PM: Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man ('43)
    10:45 PM: House of Frankenstein ('44)

MON 10/10
    12:15 AM: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde ('20): Wow, instead of the versions they usually show, it's the silent version with John Barrymore.
    2:00 AM: House (Hausu) ('77): The Japanese horror classic.
    3:30 AM: The Haunting ('63): Robert Wise haunted house film.
    6:00 AM: Captain Sindbad ('63): Guy Williams as the legendary sailor. From the director of The War of the Worlds, Byron Haskin.
    7:30 AM: Atlantis, the Lost Continent ('60): George Pal film about the fall of Atlantis (oops, spoilers).
    9:15 AM: The Colossus of Rhodes ('61): Sergio Leone's directorial debut, a sword-and-sandal film that's not really genre, but barely qualifies due to its somewhat fanciful depiction of the title statue.
    11:30 AM: Hercules, Samson & Ulysses ('63): More Italian sword-and-sandal.

MON 10/10-TUE 10/11: Christopher Lee marathon.
    8:00 PM: The Face of Fu Manchu ('65)
    10:00 PM: The Brides of Fu Manchu ('66)
    11:45 PM: The Vengeance of Fu Manchu ('67)
    1:30 AM: Nothing But the Night ('72): Lee and Peter Cushing investigate a string of murders.
    3:15 AM: Scream and Scream Again ('70): Serial-killer film with Lee, Cushing, and Vincent Price.

FRI 10/14-SAT 10/15: Horror comedy marathon.
    8:00 PM: The Cat and the Canary ('39): Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard in a "survive the night in a creepy house to earn an inheritance" movie.
    9:30 PM: The Fearless Vampire Killers ('66): Directed by Roman Polanski.
    11:30 PM: Little Shop of Horrors ('60): Roger Corman classic.
    1:00 AM: Young Frankenstein ('74): Nice follow-up to the Universal Frankenstein films from earlier in the month.
    3:00 AM: Hillbillys in a Haunted House ('67): I think they showed this once before.

SAT 10/15: A string of East Side Kids/Bowery Boys movies with vaguely horror-ish plots:
    4:30 AM: Spooks Run Wild ('41): With Bela Lugosi.
    5:45 AM: Ghosts on the Loose ('43): Ditto.
    7:00 AM: Master Minds ('49)
    8:15 AM: Spook Busters ('46): Who you gonna -- no, wait, that's someone else.
    9:30 AM: Spook Chasers ('57)
    10:45 AM: The Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters ('54)
    Noon: Cabin in the Sky ('43): All-black cast in a God-vs.-Satan fable starring Eddie "Rochester" Anderson.
    1:45 PM: Around the World in 80 Days ('56)
    8:00 PM: The Innocents ('61): Deborah Kerr as a governess who thinks her charges are possessed.
    Midnight: Eye of the Devil ('66): Kerr and David Niven in an occult thriller.

SUN 10/16
    8:00 PM: The Curse of Frankenstein ('57): Now we get into the Peter Cushing series from Hammer Films.
    9:45 PM: The Revenge of Frankenstein ('58): First sequel.

MON 10/17
    2:00 AM: Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell ('68): Japanese film about an alien vampire invasion.
    3:30 AM: The X from Outer Space (Giant Space Monster Guilala) ('67): Obscure Japanese kaiju film. I think I missed this one the last time TCM showed it, so yay.
    6:00 PM: She ('65)

MON 10/17-TUE 10/18: Another Christopher Lee marathon.
    8:00 PM: Horror Hotel ('60): Witchcraft in a small village.
    9:30 PM: Horror Express ('72) again.
    11:15 PM: The House That Dripped Blood ('70): Anthology of four Robert Bloch stories.
    1:15 AM: The Creeping Flesh ('72): Lee & Cushing vs. an evil walking skeleton, which is kind of the opposite of the title.
    3:00 AM: The Oblong Box ('69): Lee & Price in a Poe adaptation.
    4:45 AM: The Woman Who Wouldn't Die ('64): No Lee here. Gary Merrill as a wife-murderer haunted by his victim.

TUE 10/18
    6:15 AM: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde ('32): The superior Fredric March version.

WED 10/19-THU 10/20: "Fictional presidents" marathon with several speculative entries:
    8:00 PM: Fail-Safe ('64): The classic nuclear-war thriller.
    12:30 AM: Seven Days in May ('64): Near-future speculation about a military coup in the US.
    2:45 AM: Gabriel Over the White House ('33): Oh, man, this is creepy, and perhaps timely. Basically a pro-fascism propaganda film in which US President Walter Huston dissolves the Constitution and becomes a dictator -- and this is presented as a good thing. Pulled from release after only 2 weeks. Worth reading about on Wikipedia.

THU 10/20
    3:45 PM: Angel on My Shoulder ('46): This one's been on the list several times.

FRI 10/21-SAT 10/22: Another horror marathon, mostly stuff we've seen here before.
    8:00 PM: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde ('41): The lame one.
    10:00 PM: Eyes Without a Face ('60)
    11:45 PM: The Body Snatcher ('45): Wise, Lewton, Karloff, Lugosi.
    1:15 AM: Phantom of the Rue Morgue ('54)
    2:45 AM: Macabre ('58): Doctor must rescue daughter who's been kidnapped and buried alive.
    4:00 AM: The Corpse Vanishes ('42): Lugosi as mad scientist.
    5:15 AM: The Brain That Wouldn't Die ('62): Severed head kept alive. Seen on MST3K.
    6:45 AM: The Killer Shrews ('59): Another MST3K film.
    8:00 AM: The Devil Bat ('40): Lugosi breeds killer bats.
    9:15 AM: The Seventh Victim ('43): Val Lewton Satanism thriller.

SUN 10/23
    8:00 PM: Frankenstein Created Woman ('67): 3rd Hammer film.
    10:00 PM: Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed! ('70): 4th Hammer.

MON 10/24
    Midnight: The Phantom Carriage ('21): Silent Swedish horror film about Death's carriage.
    2:00 AM: Epidemic ('87): Outbreak horror, or something.
    4:00 AM: The Satan Bug ('65): Theft of a deadly virus.
    3:15 PM: The Gorgon ('64): Cushing and Lee vs., well, a Gorgon.
    4:45 PM: The Curse of Frankenstein again.

MON 10/24-TUE 10/25: Marathon of six Hammer Dracula films (the first seven minus the second, The Brides of Dracula):
    8:00 PM: Horror of Dracula (aka Dracula) ('58)
    9:30 PM: Dracula, Prince of Darkness ('65)
    11:15 PM: Dracula Has Risen From the Grave ('69)
    1:00 AM: Taste the Blood of Dracula ('70)
    2:45 AM: Scars of Dracula ('70)
    4:30 AM: Dracula A.D. 1972 (A.D. 1972)

WED 10/26
    6:00 AM: The Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy ('65)
    7:15 AM: The Time Machine ('60)
    9:00 AM: Time After Time ('79)
    11:00 AM: Time Bandits ('81)
    1:00 PM: The Ice Pirates ('84): Spoofy low-budget sci-fi with Robert Urich, Anjelica Huston, and Ron Perlman. Actually does fit the time-travel theme of the day.
    2:45 PM: Satellite in the Sky ('56): British space movie. I think we talked about it earlier in the thread.
    4:15 PM: Logan's Run ('75)
    6:15 PM: Soylent Green ('73)

FRI 10/28
    8:00 PM: Dracula ('31)
    9:30 PM: The Mummy ('32)
    11:00 PM: The Invisible Man ('33)

SAT 10/29
    12:15 AM: The Wolf Man ('41)
    1:30 AM: The Black Cat ('34)
    2:45 AM: The Uninvited ('44): Ray Milland haunted-house film.
    4:30 AM: Island of Lost Souls ('33): Dr. Moreau adaptation with Charles Laughton.
    6:00 AM: The Devil-Doll ('36): Lionel Barrymore shrinks people.
    10:30 AM: Bowery to Baghdad ('55): Bowery Boys find Aladdin's lamp.
    Noon: The Black Scorpion ('57)
    1:45 PM: The Blob ('58)
    3:15 PM: Village of the Damned ('61)
    4:45 PM: The Thing From Another World ('51)
    6:30 PM: Earth vs. the Flying Saucers ('56)
    9:30 PM: Carnival of Souls ('62): Ghost story.
    11:00 PM: It's Alive ('74)

SUN 10/30
    6:00 AM: Topper ('37)
    Noon: The TIngler ('59): With Vincent Price.
    6:00 PM: The Abominable Dr. Phibes ('71): More Price.
    8:00 PM: Young Frankenstein again.
    10:00 PM: Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein ('48)

MON 10/31-TUE 11/1
    6:00 AM: Mark of the Vampire ('35)
    7:15 AM: Cat People ('42)
    8:30 AM: I Walked With a Zombie ('43)
    9:45 AM: Dementia 13 ('63)
    11:15 AM: House of Wax ('53)
    12:45 PM: Black Sabbath ('64): Anthology.
    2:30 PM: Dead of Night ('45): Anthology.
    4:30 PM: House on Haunted Hill ('58): Vincent Price.
    6:00 PM: The Haunting again.
    8:00 PM: The Devil's Bride ('68): Satanism with Christopher Lee.
    9:45 PM: The Mummy ('59): Hammer, Lee, Cushing.
    11:30 PM: The Hound of the Baskervilles ('59): Hammer, Lee, Cushing as Sherlock Holmes.
    1:15 AM: Scream of Fear (aka Taste of Fear) ('61): Lee, Susan Strasberg.
    2:45 AM: The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll ('61): Hammer's take on the story, with Lee.
    4:30 AM: To the Devil, a Daughter ('76): More Satanism with Lee, plus Honor Blackman.

Whew.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was looking through the schedule and I was thinking about all the typing you were going to have to do. :) An embarrassment of riches this month, going to be vegging out a lot I think.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

On only a slightly related note, Last night TCM had Anchor Man: The Legend of Ron Burgundy on. It was sort of surreal to see such a contemporary movie on that channel. Anything from this century just doesn't seem right.

13. Christopher

Yeah, I didn't realize what I was getting into when I started.

14. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Agreed. Anything after the 70s doesn't seem right to me. Might be cool if TCM could break up into several sub-channels like other channels have done-- a channel for each decade. Or develop their own streaming service, like Netflix).

15. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for posting the list, Christopher.

:)

16. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why? It's 40+ years past. many younger folks would consider many films from that period 'Classic' today.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They post a lot of the movies they show to their app and their website. I watched Zardoz on the app, and I'll probably be using for some of this month's movies too.
    I hear a lot about the Hammer Horror movies, so I'm thinking I might have to check at least some of them out if I get the chance.

18. Christopher

I'm kind of curious about the Hammer horror films, but I'm more interested in the Universal Frankenstein series. It's too bad they aren't showing House of Dracula, because after showing Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein last month and the first six Universal films this month, that's the only one left in their Frankenstein series (even though it isn't named for him).

19. Greg Cox

Thanks for posting. I'm sure all that Halloween programming gave your typing fingers a workout. (As opposed to your other fingers.)

I confess to being a bit jaded about TCM's Halloween programming at this point. It's undeniably an embarrassment of riches, being packed with every kind of classic horror flick you could ask for: silent classics, Universal horrors, Hammer horrors, Val Lewton horrors, The Haunting, The Innocents, you name it.

But, at the risk of sounding hopelessly spoiled, it's the same outstanding collection of classics they show every October, most of which I've seen many times before. Oh well.

Still, some annotations:

Apparently, the Star of the Month is Christopher Lee, hence all the Fu Manchu and Dracula movies, etc. And which explains the omission of BRIDES OF DRACULA since Lee passed on that one. I believe they are also showing some of his non-genre fare, such as JINNAH and THE THREE MUSKETEERS.

More trivia:

1) CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE is actually the first movie directed by Robert Wise, who later directed such classics as THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN, THE HAUNTING, and the first Trek movie.

2) THE SEVENTH VICTIM stars a very young Kim Hunter, who would later play Zira in the first three PLANET OF THE APES movies.

3) Be aware that Lee does NOT play the title role(s) in THE TWO FACES OF DOCTOR JEKYLL. He's only a supporting player in that movie, which is utterly tedious, btw. (One of the few Hammer horrors I've never been able to finish.)

4) And, of course, this is where I mention that THE DEVIL'S BRIDE was scripted by Richard Matheson. :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  20. Christopher

Sometimes I wish I had a spare set...

Well, they only have so much in their library, I guess. A lot of this stuff is new to me, though, or at least I haven't seen it in a long time.

Yeah, I noticed. I hadn't known there was a movie about Mohammed Ali Jinnah. I guess since Gandhi got a biopic, it's only fair. Given that it's a Pakistani-made film, though, I'm surprised they cast a white actor in the role. At least Ben Kingsley is halfway the same ethnicity as Gandhi.

The Wise films they most frequently show on TCM are Curse of the Cat People, The Haunting, Helen of Troy, and West Side Story, I think. Curse is a really interesting movie, since it's a sequel to a horror movie, but isn't in the same genre at all, a much more soulful and sensitive film. I know I discussed it somewhere back in this thread.

Well, Hammer did Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Mummy, so no surprise they takylled Jeckle -- err, tackled Jekyll too. (How many other classic monsters did they redo?)