You know what really irks me about "Insurrection"?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Lance, Nov 8, 2013.

1. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

yeah it's a pretty stupid plot point, especially since Kirk would know that Spock isn't given to lying.

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe Kirk thought Pike was hip enough that he'd accept the falsified report and overlook the PD issues given that Kirk saved the people.

Oops.

3. sonak

well he'd have actually had good reason to think that, considering all the rule-breaking in STXI Pike had overlooked(stowing on board, trying to mutiny, etc.) and had given him a promotion. But because in this movie Pike needs to "teach him a lesson," he reacts differently.

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't seem to find a decent transcript of the movie, however, didn't Pike say something about there were senior people in Starfleet who thought that Kirk had been promoted too quickly?

Pike's decision might have taken into account the position of others in Starfleet Command who also read the two conflicting reports. Pike was part of the chain of command, his decisions didn't exist in isolation.

(and why doesn't chakoteya.net have a transcript, it's been nearly a year?)

:)

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Might not be much love for the Abrams films there. They used to have the 2009 transcript but its been pulled.

From the website:

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually it wasn't Pike that demoted Kirk, Starfleet held some kinf of tribunal Pike wasn't allowed at where they decided to demote Kirk.

Pike just got Marcus to bust Kirk down to first officer instead of all the way back to the academy.

7. sonak

ah right, faulty memory. I've only seen the film twice so far.:eek:

8. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Can we stop talking about that crappy movie "Into Darkness" when we're supposed to be talking about that other crappy movie "Insurrection?"

:)

9. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm curious.

How many people who hate Insurrection paid to see it multiple times in the theater? How many bought it on VHS? DVD? Blu Ray? How many have bought it on all formats?

I ask because if someone hated the movie so much, why spend all that money on it? To complete a collection? To be able to complain about the details on this BBS?

Just asking, no agenda.

10. BillJ

I picked up the Collector's Edition DVD for cheap and my Blu-ray was part of the TNG movie collection.

11. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw it once in theaters and it was one of the first DVDs I picked up...to be clear, this was before DVDs had really taken off as well. Nemesis hadn't even been made yet. I've watched it a few times, though not recently.

12. Hober Mallow

I saw it once in the theater. Never bought it on any format. I did end up seeing it again at my dad's house, though, while my dad was watching it.

13. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I got the then (10) movie complete set.

And just because I point out lots of faults in INS doesn't mean I won't watch it when they show it on TV.
    I got as many complaints about TWOK and its my favourite movie ever. Its just that the pluses in TWOK way outweigh the minuses.

14. Kev72

Kev72 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I just watched Insurrection on Friday; I like it. Not the best Trek, but definitely watchable.

15. BillJ

I never made it to the theater. The previews made it look like ass. :lol:

16. sonak

I saw it in a theater when it came out, and I own it as part of the TNG movie collection, but INS, along with TMP are the two Trek movies that I watch the least of those that I own.

Although, when I first saw Insurrection in theaters, I thought it was decent. It's one of those movies that as you watch it more and think about it more, it becomes worse and worse.

17. Hober Mallow

You know what's funny is that my dad, a huge Trekker, went with me to the theater to see it. When we saw it again on TV some years later, he didn't remember ever seeing it. That's how memorable that movie was.

18. sonak

indeed- SFdebris calls Insurrection the "Franklin Pierce" of Star Trek movies precisely because it's the most forgettable of the bunch. Not hated enough to be memorable like TFF or Nemesis and not nearly good enough to be remembered fondly.

19. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really don't think it's that bad. I rather like it.

(I like TFF too, but not crazy about NEM--if that makes any difference here.)

20. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

TFF and INS can be a fun watch, cause they're bad movies but would have made half-way decent episodes of the shows. NEM is just bad all the way around.