STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Honestly, if you're a Trek fan, it's been obvious from the trailers. Hell, IMDB has had John Harrison/Khan for months.

2. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

I heard that World War Z had a production budget of 400 million dollars. Who the f**k sinks that kind of money into a movie like that in this day and age? That's ridiculousness.

3. Matt S

Matt S Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think the TX heat is affecting my brain, but is this movie doing decent after all? If so, awesome?

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I don't know why they just don't scream Khan's name out in all the ads. The movie is OUT already and that info is all over the internet, no point in keeping it a secret anymore. Might as well advertise the hell out of the name to get butts into theater seats.

5. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I agree. They should do a run of television spots advertising that this is KHAAAAN. Guaranteed more butts in seats

6. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

There's a LOT of bitchy, whiny Trek 'fans' on social media, and IMDb complaining about this movie. It seems the more civil fans tend to congregate on here.

The haters are probably a minority, and they still paid their money to go to the cinema, and see the film. But boy, are they loud.

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

That figure comes from a tabloid writer completely misreading the recent Vanity Fair article on World War Z. The article states that the budget went from $170 million to $200 million because of reshooting 40 minutes of the film. The tabloid writer idiotically read that as being $200 million for the reshoots in addition to the original $170 million and then rounded up to $400 million for a juicy headline.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except for a forty-eight hour period of speculation last weekend it's never been thought to have been doing anything other than decent business.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Looks like Hangover 3 is going to be a huge disappointment after looking at the Thursday numbers. It would be lucky to made half as much as the second movie in the US. This only means great things for STID! :techman:

10. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I would have found out before the film, it would have ruined the surprise. Yeah, I had a very strong suspicion, but I had been avoiding all spoilers, and made it to the movie unspoiled. When Harrison says he's Khan, I had a little "ha ha!" moment. Sure, others new, but I had remained unspoiled and it was a satisfying moment for me.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

You didn't realize the it was already Khan after hearing the 72 number of torpedoes (The exact same number of Augments in "Space Seed") line and seeing the man that was frozen in tube? It was extremely obvious by that point.

There was also Khan's "I'm better" at "everything" line the trailer. ;)

12. Phily B

Don't go to IMDB for movie discussion :p

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Cumberbatch is Khan" has been the greatest non-secret secret on the Internet since casting first began last year. People who knew the truth kept shouting it (by which I don't mean posters on this board, but various journalists and others in Hollywood) and fans kept bending themselves out of shape to find some way to "prove" that it wasn't so.

14. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always assume the "I'm better at everything" line is something an arrogant baddie would say anyway. As for the 72 torpedoes, no, I haven't seen "Space Seed" in a long time, and didn't connect it with the number of augments on the Botany Bay. Even then, I still had a strong suspicion it would be Khan, but wanted to find out by seeing movie, not by someone who couldn't hold their tongue.

In the internet age, it's damned near impossible not to learn about half of a movie before it's out. I was lucky this time.

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thank god it wasn't Gary Mitchell.

16. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Amen! And while we're at it, I avoid the AICN talkbacks too... It's soooo negative...

17. Phily B

I don't think I've gone on a board for a movie and its not full of hate and trolls. TDK and Avengers boards were friggin blood baths.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

What kind of lame villain's name is "Gary Mitchell" anyway? :lol: ;)

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Fast 6 is going to be huge this weekend as expected if you look at all the sellouts. Hopefully STID will be able to benefit from the increased activity this weekend at the movie theaters.

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

About as lame as John Harrison.. (okay Gary is a lamer name but..). Imagine if they had retconned Gary Mitchell into working for Section 31.