MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Let us keep Farrell! He's the most competent manager we've had since Cito Gaston was here the first time. Since then we've had Tim Johnson, Jim Fregosi, Buck Martinez, Carlos Tosca and John Gibbons. Name me one competent manager in there!

2. TenLubak

TenLubak Commander Red Shirt

Plus it looks like the Red Sox want to get rid of that troublemaked GOnzalez and send him and others way to the Dodgers, so that they can't whine about Bobby V any more.:guffaw:

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Or it was a chance to get out from under almost half a billion dollars in contracts and rebuild without bumping the luxury tax ceiling for a group that just wasnt working...

4. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

That is the most disingenuous thing John Henry's ever said. It is a known fact that he wanted Carl Crawford.

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Crazy. Mauro Gomez steps in at 1st for the Sox and has a 4/6 night with a run and 3 RBIs.

Gonzalez hits a homer for the Dodgers and Punto draws a walk and comes around to score.

6. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

It was this exactly. The only person the Dodgers really wanted was Gonzalez. (Mexican American from southern California) The biggest part of the deal for Boston was forcing the Dodgers to take Crawford and Beckett. Somebody tweeted yesterday that this deal might make Magic Johnson more popular than Larry Bird in Boston.

7. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Jesus Christ, Red Sox.

Why the hell would any future free agent ever want to play for Boston again? They're just going to drag your ass through the mud when things don't work out as planned. And this trade wasn't made for luxury tax considerations -- John Henry has enough cash to run payroll as high as is reasonably possible. Signing Josh Hamilton and Zack Greinke this winter in no way prevents the Red Sox from signing David Wright and Curtis Granderson in 2014, for example.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Way to go Ike Davis! Walk-off HR! :techman: :beer:

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

^ I'm sorry, but if Beckett thinks that's what he was doing... :guffaw:

Pretty much what they wanted out of you, Josh, was to appear to give a shit. Like not begging off of a start because of soreness, and then playing 18 holes of golf. Not being in such shit shape that you miss starts regularly, and even somehow GAIN weight during the grind of a season. Or even show up in shape to start with? If THIS was his speaking up and being more outspoken, we're all set. Like owning up for sucking at the end of last year would have been good, rather than vowing to hunt down and find the snitch that told people he was drinking beer and eating fried chicken instead of doing his job...

Not being a complete prick to the media and fans, and appearing to give a shit. That's pretty much the magic formula...

10. Timby

Those quoted statements were made by Adrian Gonzalez.

11. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Didn't need the pirouette at the end, easy way to twist an ankle. This from a guy who was out a majority of the season for bumping ankles with David Wright.

12. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Ah. Clicked the link, saw the first half was about Beckett, and went back to posting here.

Thing is: we didn't want to get rid of Gonzalez. But doing so got us rid of Beckett, Crawford, Gonzo's 6 years left on contract, and another year of Punto. He was more the price of clearing the slate, I guess. Plus, his little comment about taking a leadership role and speaking up led to apparently things like attempting to set up a coup against the manager.

That, and he was expected to be a monster at Fenway. While he wasn't bad, he never really seemed to replicate what he was already doing in SD, much less improve it.

13. Timby

News: Vin Scully is returning to the booth next season.

Views: Vin rules. [​IMG]

14. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

He is one of the bright spots in Major League Baseball. He works solo and in the year 2012 after doing this for 60 some years, he still manages to avoid sounding like some cranky old purist that thinks baseball has gone to hell. I can only hope that I age as gracefully as he has.

I lived in Hawaii for a few years and was able to get FSN West which allowed me to have access to all the Dodgers/Angels games. I always had those games on as background noise while I was piddling around the apartment. Dodgers fans are lucky to have him.

15. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That gif of Vin and your avatar actually look pretty good together. :lol:

16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

17. Timby

Jesus Christ. It's 7/53 (eighth year with $16 million team option in 2020 kicks it to 8/69, with $2 million escalators for 19 and 20 if he finishes in the top 5 in MVP voting during the life of the contract), so the AAV isn't obscene, but the Cubs outsmarted themselves on this. They'll save money if he becomes a perennial All-Star, but if his BABIP comes down (which it is guaranteed to do), he never gets over his absolute fear of taking a walk, and he doesn't improve defensively, then they're overpaying by a gross amount. This was a case where the team should wait a couple more years and see how the player develops, considering he was under team control for another four seasons.

Okay, Theo, flip him for some world-class prospects at the winter meetings after you convince someone that he's worth their entire farm system, because I'm sure that was your endgame all along. GO.

18. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey Matt Kemp, that's two full speed wall hits in two days. The 'warning track' includes the word WARNING for a reason.
    Glad you're ok though.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ At least he wasn't playing in Toronto at the time...Rogers Centre has no warning track!

20. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's just evil. I love it. :evil: