The most you would spend on a book?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Apr 5, 2012.

1. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I've bought textbooks that push $200. Other than that, books are generally obsolete.

2. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Besides textbooks, the most I've paid for a book was pre-ordering the new Harry Potter books as they came out. I can't remember how much that was, around $20 I'm assuming. Normally I wouldn't even pay that much; on my Kindle, I completely ignore anything over $9.99, and even that is too high and something I would only pay if I REALLY wanted the book. But honestly, there hasn't been anything I've really wanted that's been published recently. And by recently I mean the last 60 years. :lol: I have a large collection of Agatha Christie novels that I am still working my way through.

3. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

^I swore up and down you would never get me to watch one of those movies.

But after I got my mom a puppy and she named him Dobby, I was curious about his namesake, so we watched a few of the earlier movies. I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked them.

4. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They are? What about the millions of volumes' worth of information that is available nowhere else?

Justin

5. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

THe most I would spend on a book, depends on how much I could afford...My affinity for antiques and other bits would cause me to bite on any offer I could afford on first editions and such. Alas, I do not possess the funds to embark on such a purchasing endeavor.

6. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

I have a small collection of rare first editions...including a collection of books that were written in the mid to late 1920's about Rudolph Valentino (and one book written BY Rudolph Valentino). Most of these books were over $100 and I think one was around $200.

Unless it's a collectors item like that, I don't spend tons on books anymore - I buy mostly paperback novels (although I did buy one large coffeetable sized book last year about Pearl Jam - that book was about $35).

I have enough books now to keep me reading for the rest of my life, so I'm not inclined to buy books unless I really want them.

7. Theodore Jay Miller

Theodore Jay Miller Commodore Newbie

I spent $40 on The Star-Stealers, The Complete Tales of the Interstellar Patrol, by Edmond Hamilton. And I spent $80 on a birthday present for my brother-in-law: a 1000-page hardcover omnibus of Wolverine comics.

8. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

I spent £30-£40 on a 19th century book on the outlying villages of our city. It was a gift for my husband. I understand paying a fair price for first edition and other rare books, but I'm loathe to spend so much money on a book that I'd be afraid to touch it. I have an 1841 edition of Eliza Acton's Modern Cookery for which I paid just £25 as it's not in great condition. This means that I feel comfortable looking through the book and have even tried a few of the cake recipes (very rich, but delicious).

9. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Keep watching. Dobby's shining moment is in the last movie.

10. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

The most I've spent was around $85 for the new annotated Sherlock Holmes a few years back. In fairness though, it was three volumes.

Generally though, I wouldn't spend more than 10-15 dollars.

11. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

How much I would spend on a book would depend on the book and how much disposable income I had. If I were rich, I would buy lots of old, expensive books.

The most I've actually spent on a single book is $150 for a hardcover collection of Richard Matheson's Night Stalker scripts (including the third unproduced movie). It is also numbered and signed, but I didn't know that when I bought it.

13. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

About $115 for G.E.M. de Ste. Croix's Class Struggle in the Ancient World. And about $102 for the three volumes of Jonathan Israel's history of the Enlightenment. Worth every penny, both of them.

14. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did briefly think about getting Jung's Red Book(currently over £100 on Amazon UK), then decided it would be more consistent with its principles to obtain the knowledge through the collective unconscious instead...

15. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

The trouble with the collective unconscious, though, is that it has a tendency to be vacuous at times.

16. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

spent around $200 on a book of Amano prints and I have tracked down a deck of Tarot cards with an art book illustrated by Amano that will run me about $90

17. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Well, turns out I didn't have to pay toll on the book. So my answer is: 132 USD. The most I have ever spent and is likely to spend ever again on a book. But seeing as it was the "Star Trek Deep Space Nine Companion", with lots of awesome info...I'm okay with that :D

18. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Should have been "I can live with it", for the full Sisko effect... :p

19. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

True enough :lol:

20. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

^ Enjoy the book. I got the book years ago. It's been a while since I looked at it, but it's always handy when what to know a certain information regarding an episode.

For me it was probably around $50, as I brought a hardcover novel over 10 years now. Not sure where it is now, as with the amount of moving I've done in that time.