Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Due to having only two tac consoles and two tac powers, your choices are limited.

The most obvious is to replace your tac consoles with Fleet Spire's Vulnerability Exploiters with [+Pla] and Fleet Embassy's science consoles with [Pla] [-Th]. These will further increase the damage output of your plasma weapons. In fact if possible, put all 4 universal consoles into your engineering slots and get 4 of these science consoles to maximize plasma damage. Since your ship's already fairly survivable, you don't really need that Tetraburnium hull plating. I'll leave it to you to decide if its worth dropping the RCS console as I'm not familiar with the turn rate of your ship.

As per what I told Joel, a ship only does maximum damage when all weapons are firing. So you may want to consider dropping the torpedo and DBB in favor of 2 more beam arrays and just focus on broadsiding enemy ships.

For boff abilities, Timelord's suggestions are good. Also, you have A LOT of heals and defensive abilities. It explains your ship's survivability, but it also explains why it doesn't do a lot of damage. Typically I limit myself to 2 shield heals and 2 hull heals, leaving the rest for more offensive powers. If you are willing to drop some of the defenses, there are two possible ways of changing your boff abilities. You can either go for a more standard build with focus on more power to weapons, or go for a Dual Aux2Batt build. Bear in mind the dual aux2batt build will require two very expensive duty officers and there are many players who hate the constant button mashing and ability juggling required to keep the build humming at full strength.

Here's the more standard build:
    TacTeam I, FireAtWill II
    EP2Shields I, ReverseShieldPolarity I, Aux2SIF II, DirectedEnergyModulation III
    EngTeam I, Aux2Batt I, EP2Weapons III
    TransferShieldStrength I, PolarizeHull II
    HazardEmitters I

To use Dual Aux2Batt, just swap out RSP I with a second Aux2Batt I.

2. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks, Timelord and Intrinsical. That's exactly the kind of feedback I've been looking for. I'll play around with some of the recommendations tomorrow (some of the equipment, I'll have to save up for), and will let you know about my progress.

3. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

The trailer is okay, needed more narrative structure, maybe some Tuvok voiceover.

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well the info most people were wondering about finally came out today

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/7002133-tier-5-starship-upgrades

also the Lead Dev came down to the discusion forum to point out that starship traits can be acquired from other stuff so the not getting Mastery level 5 isn't a big deal, and since not all T6 ships will get seats for the new boffs thats probably not a big loss either.

So really we lose out on a Boff slot, which for all we know would have been an ensign slot any way.

6. intrinsical

I'm not too happy that its going to cost $5-$10 to upgrade each ship. I have characters using the Fleet Armitage, Vesta, Fleet Avenger and Scimitar. So its going to cost me $20-$40 to upgrade them.

And now I expect Tier 6 ships to cost even more. Possibly $25-$30 per ship class. Coupled with the connectivity issues with Cryptic's Cogent data center since January, I have only been able to play a couple of minutes every week. I don't know, despite my love for all things Trek, I think its time for me to quit STO totally.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  7. Hartzilla2007

Well they did say you only need a T6 or T5-U ship for the high end endgame stuff.

So either some kind of special harder que event or that nightmare difficulty level thats been occasionally mentioned.

8. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

New T3 (Commander) ship.
    The long awaited and hardly surprising Constellation class is available.

Attached Files:

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

They want a 1000 Zen for that ship. I love the Constellation, but Jesus.

10. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

That is the standard price for T3 ships with a special ability console.
    You can check that against older store ships.

11. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

What is being given away this weekend as part of the Giveaway Event. Linky. Already claimed my TNG season 1 uniform.

12. LeadHead

Thanks for sharing that link. It's good to know that there's no need for me to log in for any of that. When they do things things like this it's always for something I already own. Argh, maybe next time. :rommie:

13. Amaris

Maybe so, but that's still $10 per ship.

14. Hartzilla2007

What about the T5 Ambassador that's apparently going to be put in the store just for the giveaway?

15. LeadHead

I was here when they first added Temporal Ambassador. They gave those away then when you completed the mission.

16. Amaris

I love my Ambassador, and still use it for my Vice Admiral. I have a second character, and I've got her in the retrofit Excelsior.

Still, I'm hoping the giveaway will be an Intrepid class ship. That would be fitting, considering the upcoming Delta Quadrant expansion. Sure, I could get one, but they're 80,000 dilithium, and I don't have that kind of currency lying around, nor do I play enough to build that up in a reasonable amount of time.

So *crosses fingers* come on, Intrepid class!

17. intrinsical

I kind of doubt it. As you've said the Intrepid will be the star of Delta Rising. There's no way they'll be giving it out for free. Rather, I expect them to sell a mega-bundle containing a T6 Intrepid.

18. Amaris

Shh! You'll jinx it!

19. pteal1979

pteal1979 Tal Shiar's Most Wanted Red Shirt

What ever you do don't buy any ships with dilithium at the moment as they will not be upgradeable when delta rising launches. Which is a pain as my kdf alt only had dilithium cost ships and mirror ships

20. Amaris

Oh, I have no plans for upgrades regarding the Intrepid. I just want one for my lower level character (I accidentally picked the Galaxy class instead of the Intrepid, and there's no redo's).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.