Abrams Directing Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Kamdan, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

What the Mouse wants, the Mouse gets. And nobody gets in the Mouse's way. Abrams got an offer from the Mouse he couldn't refuse. Nuthin' personal.

Given how some fans felt STID took a back burner to other Abrams projects (hence, waiting four years), imagine their uproar if he decides to at least produce STXII, and the project is delayed by the SW movie.

I doubt Paramount's pissed. Nonplussed at worst. I bet if they thought it would help, they may even begin promotions for STID with, "From the director who will bring you the next 'Star Wars' movie...."

Abrams going to SW is a little like Roy Williams leaving Kansas for North Carolina. How could KU alum begrudge him returning to his first love after all the success he had with KU? And it's not like things have been bad for KU since Williams left. I'll hold onto that as a metaphor for what just happened here.

2. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I know KU people that still hate Roy Williams. :)

Trek supposedly inspried Lucas to work in Sci-Fi. The big box office of Star Wars moved Star Trek from Phase 2 to TMP, right? They've been linked before.

I have zero knowledge of 'the industry' but as has been said in this thread if word was that 'Into Darkness' was crap I doubt this would have happened.

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

In what way is this any sort of a slap? I think the "slap in the face" thing is overused these days, to the point of having become meaningless. Sort of like "reboot" has.

Taking into account all of the things Abrams has been doing besides directing movies, he actually looks pretty busy to me.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Heck, if you look at the books, you've had people crossing back and forth since the beginning. Case in point: Alan Dean Foster, who wrote the first two STAR WARS novels and has also written numerous TREK books, including the novelization of the most recent TREK movie.

5. Corran Horn

Oh absolutely. Christie Golden has done both. So has KW Jeter. (I'm sure you knew that) :)

6. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, those KU people can give me all their 2008 NCAA Tournament Champions t-shirts if they want. I'll just cross out KU and put ISU.

As you and Legion speculated earlier, the inside buzz on STID must be good for Disney to be hungry for Abrams. Conversely, if one is a SW fan, I think it would be a good sign all around to have Abrams on board. If he didn't see the entire script while he was deciding, I'm sure he saw huge chunks of it. If he didn't like it, I can't imagine he'd have agreed to direct it. (I wonder if he had to sign a secrecy oath if he did see the script?)

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And Vonda McIntyre and Ann Crispin and others I'm no doubt forgetting . . . .

8. Corran Horn

Unfortunately the 'conversely' I was thinking was that if Zack Snyder isn't doing it that might mean the new Superman movie isn't that great. Of course that's totally uninformed speculation.

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly.

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Maybe we'll get something billed as Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek.

11. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You make a good point. He is going to be asked about Star Wars at every single interview he does for Into Darkness from now on. Will take some of the buzz away from Into Darkness for sure. On the other hand maybe more people will see it because of the Star wars hype?? That is what Paramount has to hope for anyways.

12. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Something is very wrong here. Having JJ direct Star Wars has nothing to do with artistic preference. This is about getting OUR money, boys and girls. I'm thinking they're trying to get the most out of the science fiction buck these days and trying to turn Star Trek fans into Star Wars fans and visa versa.

They want the two fandoms to be interchangeable so both studios get the most out of the sci-fi fans wallets.

I dunno. I've got a very bad feeling about this.

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

They should have always been. The only reason they aren't already is because of stubborn fandoms. Trek and Wars have always been two sides of the same coin.

14. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

I wonder if he'll say "This movie isn't made for Star Wars fans."

15. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

This year is Doctor Who's fiftieth anniversary and the BBC have been commissioned an anniversary special for the day it originally aired, a drama about how Doctor Who was created, stories for each Doctor every month on the big screen at the BFI (which, so far, have each sold out before the day of the event), different stories for each Doctor every month on BBC America (the first time Classic Who's aired on the channel), short stories for each Doctor released as eBooks to later be collected in a physical anthology, re-released books for every Doctor with new covers, and much more that hasn't even been announced yet.

Anniversaries mean something. It's a matter of pride, of accomplishment, that something can endure and still be remembered and loved and treasured 50 years after it's released. There's plenty of successful shows in the 60s that have faded into obscurity, but the fact that Trek is still here, still loved, that people still know Kirk and Spock and new adventures featuring them are still made. This SHOULD be something to be celebrated and rewarded and cherished. To compare it to the unfortunate habit of human beings getting self-conscious about their youth and futility and getting closer to death, as Bashir and Garak discussed in a DS9 actually, is insane. It's not a physical person worried about getting old. It's an artistic property that endures and lingers.

16. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What's the worst that can happen? You go see a Star Wars film? A Star Wars fan checks out a Star Trek film? Studios do want the most people to come see their films. Unless, of course, you're Rick Berman.

17. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I can understand both sides of the argument. But it is his choice AND we need to hear from him. Not Orci, not the tabloids, him.

He will hopefully outline his plans for the future.

18. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    No, you guys are being too naive. There's more to this.

And no Star Trek and Star Wars are not the same thing and they should never be.

19. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

You only missed that joke by about 80 posts. :bolian:

20. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

What more is there too this? Studios are looking to make money and JJ makes money. He's probably a better fit for Star Wars than Star Trek.