MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Hey, I can't really argue with you there. I think it's the organization as a whole rather than just the one man, but I think he certainly think he's a major component (at a minimum, Pat Gillick would have shut out those irrelevant people from the process).

I thought the point was that we would take low cost (low risk) players and take a gamble that they work out (while rebuilding our farm system). However, we show no sign of wanting to avoid spending and haven't done much to help the farm system aside from sucking this year and getting a better draft pick (although I think there's a year coming up we're missing one, I forget, though).

That being said, trading Michael Young is a good thing, not a bad thing, so I'm not going to complain there (this might be the most useful thing he's done all year).

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

For the first time since 1992, the Pittsburgh Pirates will not have a losing record. I'm happy for them, and that city. They finally have a winner that the city can be proud of in Baseball.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Giants have been awful this season, but Yesmiro Petit was one out away from a perfect game tonight. He came oh so close, with 2 out in the 9th, Eric Chavez hit a ball that landed like a foot in front of Pence for the only hit Arizona had. Great effort and gives the team some kind of positive.

4. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Fun fact: Koji Uehara just completed a Perfect Game for the Red Sox. Yeah, aware that's not really a 'thing' for relievers, but after mowing down the Yankees in order last night, he's now retired his last 27 batters in a row without a baserunner.

So sure, not really a thing, but neat accomplishment nonetheless. Hasn't had a baserunner since early/mid August, and has been getting plenty of work.

Guy is fun to watch, and definitely came out of nowhere to latch onto the Closer role. Then again, if you compare his stats over the past couple years, he's statistically the best in the game. 1.12 ERA on the season, 64 IP. And since taking over as Closer, his ERA is actually 0.27. (that was before last night, so is probably slightly LOWER than that!) :eek:

5. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jeter is shut down for the season. :(

(Yankee haters - try not to gloat TOO much. His career isn't over YET.)

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As for as being shut down "for the season" that doesn't really mean much regarding his career stats two weeks into September. Really the damage has been done by now and about time he gave up on it this year with all the crap he's put up with. He's going into the Hall regardless of if he plays another game or not.

8. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I met a fan of an antique dynasty
    Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in at shortstop. Near them, on the infield dirt,
    Half prostrate, a diving infielder lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of injury,
    Tell that its manager well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The glove that mocked them, and the heart that tried;
    And in Monument Park these words appear:
    "My name is Derek Jeter, captain of captains:
    Look on my ankle, ye Mighty, and despair!"
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, legless and bare
    The lone and level Wild Card stretched far away.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Why would any Yankee Haters gloat? He's been a butcher in the field for years, and isn't doing a ton with his bat anymore. We want him out there ALL the time, and for years to come ;)

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Most people who hate Yankees at least like Jeter. He demonstrates the Yankees doing things right, as opposed to targeting the best two or three free agents available and getting all of them, like they did for quite a few years.

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yep, never had a problem with Jeter or Mo. Came up through the system, play the game right, and don't run their mouths. Never been at the center of any issues with the Sox, and generally just classy players.

the REST of the entitled, self-important mercenaries, however... :p

12. Mr. Laser Beam

@Timby: :guffaw:

Honestly, do you mind if I post that over on Baseball-Fever.com? I'll credit ya. :)

13. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Vladimir Guerrero Retires

The best player I've ever seen that nobody talked about. In his prime, he was one of the two or three best players in the game. His only crime was playing in Montreal, so no one saw him play. I think he belongs in Cooperstown and will be disappointed if he doesn't find his way there.

Todd Helton Retires

Not a HOF'er, but a great player. One of baseball's best hitters for the first half of his career, but injures slowed him during the second. He'll probably be remembered the same way that Will Clark and Don Mattingly are.

--Sran

14. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

Sorry to see Helton go. Although I'm a decade older, he and I attended U.T. together back in the mid-90s. Nice approachable guy.

Sir Rhosis

15. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Helton is a humble guy and a class act all the way. Even his DUI arrest last winter, he admitted his wrong doing and apologized for his actions with no pretense and no arrogant ballplayer B.S.
    His numbers are very good, good enough that the Rockies should retire his number, but he's not a Hall of Famer. Especially with the altitude bias.
    It's been a pleasure watching him play all of these years, and somewhere my wife still has his autograph from when he was with the Colorado Springs Sky Sox (AAA). Seems like so long ago...

16. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

This September for Atlanta is starting to feel dangerously close to 2011. They will most likely stumble into the playoffs but I don't think anybody is remotely scared of them.

17. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope not. They need to get the bats out their butts. Simmons missed a routine ground ball that could of ended the day game with a win. That was reminiscent of when Brooks Conrad missed one in that game with the Giants back in 2010. Today wasn't a play off game. Today was miserable.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Yeah, yeah, it's nice that the Dodgers clinched, but they could have done something other than rub it in the Diamondbacks' faces (in the Dbacks' own ballpark, no less) when they did it. Linky

19. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I don't know, its not like they did it as soon as they got the last out in front of the fans or anything. The place was empty when they got into the pool.

On another note. I had no idea Jason Heyward was returning today for Atlanta. I didn't expect to see him until the playoffs. I'm glad he can get some at bats the next few weeks leading into the post season.

20. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see anything wrong with it either. I'm no Dodger fan but its like dude above me said it isn't like they did it in front of D-Back fans.

And Go Fish tonight!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.