QonoS and its moon

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RoJoHen, May 27, 2013.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

No idea if this has been brought up anywhere (probably, but I can't find it). What's up with that half-exploded moon orbiting Kronos? The nerd is me instantly thought, "Praxis," but it's way too early for Praxis to have exploded...or is it? Could it have blown up early in this timeline? Am I reading too much into it?

Any thoughts?

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I always figured "overmining" was an excuse for conducting subspace weapons tests on Praxis, which explains partly why it exploded the way it did (subspace shockwave event) and the ban on such weapons on the Kithomer Accords afterwards.

The Narada event happening on their doorstep probably had the Klingons stepping up their production/testing. With similar results it would seem.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

My guess is Praxis, and clearly part of the surface of Kronos is abandoned and laid waste. I really like this kind of unrefered to tie in to the prime universe...and it looked fantastic on screen.

4. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I also thought it was a nod to Praxis. I am quite sure not everything in each universe is happening in tandem. Chemahkuu's explanation (above) sounds good to me.

5. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

I thought the same when I saw the film. Q'onos with a smashed moon and half the planet uninhabitable? What else could it be.
    I really like that in this timeline, lots of the same stuff is happening but entirely out of order. Makes me wonder what's coming next?

6. Lord Lunacy

Lord Lunacy Commander Red Shirt

Sounds logical.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Overmining Praxis" was never anything more complicated than Meyer's clumsy transposition of the Chernobyl disaster into his superficial allegory.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yep, works for me! Poor Praxis, forever doomed to blow up.

I feel bad for Martok. His hometown is uninhabitable in this reality.

9. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Will there ever be a Martok in this 'verse?

10. JackSparrowJive

JackSparrowJive Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Exactly. The "Nero event" kicked off something of an arms race in the JJ-timeline, so both the Feds and KDF stepped up their game. So as you said, the KDF just caused Praxis to explode sooner than it would have otherwise.

11. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is a reboot.

In 10 foot high letters>>> Anything from the entire Prime Universe canon they want to hijack for a nustory is fair game.

I wouldn't be in the least surprised if the Prometheus showed up in the next one!

In Universe, Nero's incursion accelerated everything in this timlene, blah, blah, blah.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Not really sure what point you're trying to make.

13. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sorry RoJoHen.

It probably is an early blown Praxis. 'Why' is anybody's guess.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Possibly. Didn't Martok say that his home province was kind of a dump anyway?

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Why? Because it was a homage to STVI. Obviously the producers felt that the audience was smart enough to get the reference without it having to be spoon-fed to us.

16. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

They did, and we are. And it was greatly appreciated too.:klingon:

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kor rejected Martok's first application to become an officer in the Klingon Defence Force because he was from Ketha.

18. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

In ST6, our somewhat ill-informed Starfleet heroes and villains spoke out their own theories on what had happened to Praxis (think Chernobyl, but without the open and frank reporting policy of the Soviet Union :devil: ). Yet they also speculated that the Praxis explosion would cripple the Klingons, making them

a) pissed off and likely to go banzai any moment now, because
    b) they would realize that in a few years they would be powerless to do so, but
    c) in the immediate aftermath of the explosion, Starfleet would have an excellent window of opportunity to bring the Klingons to their ugly knees, thereby preventing the banzai charge.

Was this, too, ill-informed guesswork? Or did the analysis have a sound basis? If it did, then a "prematurely" exploded Praxis ought to make the plans of the Marcus cabal sort of redundant: Klingons had already ceased to be a threat due to their homeworld and industries being savaged, and they had not gone banzai yet and thus never would...

Timo Saloniemi

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I see, well in any event the subspace weapon theory fits nicely anyway.

Also, Kronos.

20. siskokid888

siskokid888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Either Quark's, or a bar on St. Mark's Place
    It kind of fits in with a "multiple universe" theroy I once read - that, from the point the "universes" diverge, as time moves forward, the "alternate" moves further and further and looks less and less like the "original", although you would still be able to see some similarities, it would get more difficult as time advanced.