JJ Abrams to make another TV show about an island

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Temis the Vorta, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

A real one this time, with fewer smoke monsters and a lot more tourists: Alcatraz!

Doesn't sound sf/f, but it might have light genre elements.

Is it going to be a historical drama set when the prison was running, or a contemporary drama about the island as a national monument? If the latter, they'll definitely have to amp up the ghostly balderdash. :rommie:

It's not a very big island and frankly my dears, it's not even very interesting. The best thing about it is the incredible views since you're right in the middle of the bay. I think they should just bulldoze those crumbling, ugly-ass buildings and turn it into a lovely park but I know they make boatloads of money from tourists so forget about that.

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why can't it be both with flashbacks, flash forwards and flash sideways? :)

3. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

This is full of fail unless it is like The Shawshank Redemption.

4. Temis the Vorta

It might switch off between something like a gangster drama in the 30s where someone gets murdered by their cellmate, and the present-day when their ghost is running around scaring tourists. Hopefully it won't be as silly in execution as I'm making it sound. :rommie:

5. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Prison Break!

6. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    Meh. The first season and some of the second was good.

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Rock has been taken over by terrorists, and the only man who's ever successfully broken out must break back in -- Andy Dufresne!

8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Starring The Rock? ;)

9. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I had heard that the show was actually going to be J.J.'s reboot of "Gilligan's Island".......

10. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Titus Welliver would be perfect for this. Watched him on the Kevin Pollack Chat show, he does an amazing Christopher Walken and Al Pacino.

11. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

The last time JJ came out with a new show, it was also compared (unfavorably) to Lost. There was an airplane, a crash, "mysterious elements" and the like, and was something like 10 million bucks for the pilot episode. That show, Fringe, is now going into its third season. Beyond the superficial elements in the pilot, it has nothing to do with Lost. I somehow don't think he's a one-trick pony.

12. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I like prison dramas, so if that is what this is, I'll most likely give it a chance.

13. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Unless it is LOST on Alcatraz!!!

:lol:

14. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree, Felicity to Lost to Fringe to the upcoming Undercovers to Alcatraz and there was another one in the works but I forget the premise, but all appear to be real different from each other. Abrams got range, I'm sure he'll stick around first season to get things started and hand over the reigns and take off like he usually does.

To say he's this generations Speilberg in terms of range from project to project, would that be a stretch?

15. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

HBO medical drama Anatomy of Hope, perhaps?

Abrams certainly is prolific and most of his output is of quality, though I'm not sure I'd agree with that statement (to be honest, I'm not all that big on Spielberg). In any event, some critics have also made this comparison and Abrams certainly remains a name to watch in television and film.

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Everyone in the show is dead. We've been following ghosts that roam Alcatraz.

I'm calling it.

17. Temis the Vorta

Have you seen those comedy videos he made with Mark Pellegrino? Those guys are both incredibly talented and funny! :rommie:

18. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Danny Cannon to direct the pilot

November 12, 2010
    http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/several-television-pilots-land-directors
    /

'Alcatraz' Drama Picked Up To Pilot At Fox

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

^ Fox has no room though? I can't even fit the shows they already have + new ones already confirmed to come on there 2011-2012 lineup. Fox picking up a new J.J show would kill Fringe IMO.

20. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

First piece of casting is out, and it's a familiar face from Lost: Jorge Garcia!