2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Hmm, interesting charts, for sure. Sort of why I missed having the "Pitch Tracker" thing on the screen. But, what's shown there is different than what the ump sees and how he's going to call it. And there were some pretty crummy calls from the HP ump last night.

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

How pitches were being called is of no consequence to my argument, so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up -- there are only one or two pitches from Bumgarner's entire run last night that are really egregious called strikes.

The issue was that the Royals were swinging at pitches that were in Wichita.

4. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Yeah, that last at bat was painful, but so was the outfield butterfingers by the Giants. It just looked like everybody was so nervous that they couldn't even play right.

Sucks for the Royals. I was rooting for them.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

All teams fans have thier bad apples. This is why I stay home.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Somehow I doubt Royals fans would have done that. There'd have been a bitchin' barbecue though.

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah there are some Royal fans who would do that.

8. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, I'm still scratching my head about the bunt with the 2-0 count with your hottest hitter. It was only the 5th inning, why play for a tie there? 2-0 would been a perfect time to hit and run.

9. Timby

Yost said that he didn't call for the bunt and Escobar did it on his own, which, if true, is just utterly insane. (Well, it would have been insane if Yost did call for the bunt, too, but he's an idiot so I wouldn't have been surprised.)

10. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, they're better than everybody. :confused:

11. Trekker4747

My experience in this town tells me there wouldn't have been the level of rioting/celebration we've seen in SanFran. Plenty of parties and DUIs, sure. But not the property damage and fires we've seen in SanFran.

12. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, let's not blow too much smoke up Bumgarner's, uh, butt. He showed some balls last night, but he wasn't filthy by any stretch. Royals came up without a plan and just folded to him. Swinging at garbage. Last at bat was pathetic, they were like eye-level.

You've got a guy going on 2 day's rest, who is well past maxed out on his counts, and instead of working the count and trying to grind him out of the game, just taking hacks at whatever he throws out there? Come on.

Giants get a lot of credit, and 3 out of 5 is amazing, but the Royals turtled on this one when it got real. Let's put the blame in the right place. It's not the umps, Bumgarner wasn't other-worldly, the Royals just felt the pressure and didn't keep their heads when it was on the line.

Trying for the inside-the-park HR would have been even dumber, stopping there was the only decent thing they'd done in several innings. You don't end a world series with an out at home when you can easily stop at 3B and let the next guy try and flare one in, or just hit a line drive. he'd have been out by 50 feet, and been on the blooper reel for decades. Third Base coach would have been fired before they even put the tag on Gordon there...

13. Trekker4747

Well, I'm still satisfied in the end. After 29 years we pull off a Wild Card spot, a record rout in the post-season and push the World Series into Game 7 for it to all come down to a single run in the ninth with a man stranded on third?

Good stuff.

Would have been fantastic if they won, but they didn't and people are disappointed but everyone I've spoken with today are still happy, wearing Royals gear, and just talking about how great it was to see them there again. Mistakes made, bad pitches swung at, sure, but it was still a great, great run. Still energy in this city and you get and hear in the stands last night as the game ended. People still chanting in the stands for the Royals.

Players hung out with fans in a local entertainment district last night, big rally today at the stadium today in support of the team. Where after previous games they've bought a round a beers for the bar. I swear, if you were here today aside from the lack of WS merchandise and sign-age, you'd think we won.

And they're talking on the radio about it now and the hosts and callers pretty much agree, no way the "riots" and shootings that happened in SF last night would have happened here in the wake of a win. And I agree, we've got our crime problems and some issues with downtown and entertainment areas but we wouldn't have seen the shootings and fires that happened in SF last night.

14. Timby

See, this is where I differ. First, after watching the replays, it looked like the 3B coach put a hold sign up for both second and third, which was bizarre. But even though the cutoff throw was in shallow left by the time Gordon got to third, I would have tried for it anyway -- Perez had been completely lost at the plate all night (his at-bat in the 7th was embarrassing), and gimpy anyway after getting hit in the ass. The odds of him having any sort of success were pretty minimal (as seen by him swinging at absolute garbage all night along), so if you send Gordon to his doom, at least it's an exciting play with the potential for a bad throw to home or Posey getting annihilated at the plate or whatever.

15. Trekker4747

Pretty much my thought.

Perez is decent but I'm surprised he was kept in the game after that hit-by-pitch. I'm not entirely clear on the rules but aren't their contingencies for stuff like this where they can substitute a runner for Perez without taking him out of the batting order considering he got clocked in the ass by a ball going 90 miles an hour? He seemed stuck to that base and with little get-up-and-to to get to second. I know it'd suck for him to pull him out of the game so early but keeping him in may have cost the game.

There's a lot that happened with Gordon's run, between him looking to the outfield on where the ball was, and adjusting his speed for stopping at an earlier base so it's hard to say if he could have made it to Home safely. Short of a miracle, a bad throw or damn good timing, probably not.

But better to go out trying rather than swinging at bum pitches no one has gotten any piece of for the last few innings with a hitter with a pretty lack-luster performance in the post-season.

Send Gordon home, tie the game. Bummer probably wouldn't have been in too much longer as he was already fadding. But they would have at least bought another inning to score, or keep the game going for who knows how long until a win was secured.

It was an odd decision but, again, it's easy to Thursday-Morning Base Coach.

16. Timby

The pinch runner replaces the original player in the lineup.

17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Likely because even after the CF missed it, there was ANOTHER miss when he went to pick it up at the wall, it rolled around for a second. So with a clean pickup, maybe he doesn't get to 3B? Or likely just didn't want to risk sending him from 2B to 3B, as he's ALREADY in scoring position, and tough way to end a world series, trying to stretch a double into a triple.

So you sub for the batter there with ANYONE else. If he wa sucking, plus hurt, get him out of there. If you don't have any solid hitters up there, get a bunter up and try a squeeze if you want something dumb but exciting. From shallow left he would have had to completely shit the bed to not throw him out by 50 feet. Catcher would have time to go get it and come back to the plate :)

3B coach that does that is fired on the spot, and ends up such a goat that he never gets another chance.

This works out better if your next batter doesn't swing the bat like an ax, and actually waits for something near the strikezone instead of over his head.

No. Once you leave the game, you're out. New batter takes over your spot in the field and lineup

You can only send him if he's running hard out of the box, and since he thought he was either out or had a single, he didn't. After that, too late to turn it on.

Knowing Perez failed, maybe. But if you want to second guess, pinch hit, don't run into the out. How PISSED would people be if he'd have sent him and it wasn't even remotely close? Like i said, 3B coach would be a goat forever, Buckner-style.

18. Trekker4747

Right. But there's no condition that says, "Hey, this guy got beamed in the leg by a ball and needs a moment off his feet but may not need to be out of the game for good?" I know baseball rules tend to be very structured and pretty strict to a litigious degree. But is there no contingency for stuff like this?

On a different note:

Man, how about Awkward Chevy Guy, huh?! I feel like he was a Kevin James character or something. It's like they were like, "Oh, shit! We have to give the MVP the truck, ummm, You! Joe! Here's the keys, go out give them to that guy. Here's a 3x5 card with talking points on it."

19. Timby

No. If you leave the game, you're out of the game.

20. Timby

Okay, let's throw some wood on the fire to keep us warm by the hot stove in our new thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.