Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

However there was an announcement today that might (might) make it cheaper to get in 2014.

http://starblazers.com/article/star-blazers-2199-dvd-blue-ray-disc-new-release/

It seems Yamato 2199 will be getting a United States release under the Star Blazers 2199 label. These will be DVDs and Blu-rays that will be subtitled in English and Spanish. These are not dubbed. But they should be cheaper than getting the BD from Japan.

Details are unknown save for preorder starting on December 19th and them starting to be sold in February.

2. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's hoping it's a GITS Arise style sub only release instead of being the final, end all, be all release.

3. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm....I'm not really a big fan of sub-only releases personally, especially since I thought they'd signed Bang Zoom on for this, but I'd definitely consider it. :confused:

4. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

They probably commissioned them to dub the first (or first couple of episodes) so that they'd have something to show perspective clients, with an option in place to dub the rest when they secured a broadcast contract with a channel.

Honestly though - as someone who owns all 7 Japanese Blu-Rays of the remake which honestly did have a good English sub-titled track on it (IE the sub-titles were well done and appeared to be done by someone with a good grasp on the English language); I really wonder what Voyager Ent. is going to do, other than re-release those masters on the U.S. market with an English disc menu and different packaging.

I mean are they really going to redo the sub-titles using old Star Blazer style character and ship names? If so, ugh.

(And as I already own a good, original sub-titled set; no reason for me to pick up the 'Starblazers 2199' version anyway.)

5. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It looks like the prices for the US release are up:
    http://starblazers.com/article/star...ay-2272014pre-order-starts-thursday-12192013/
    45 bucks for the BD, spread out across 6 volumes, with the last volume being more expensive because it will presumably have more episodes/material.

On the one hand, it's half price from the JP release... on the other hand, this is such a dumb way to release something in 2013 for the North American market.

I *almost* understand Funimation and Sentai doing their split season releases. But this new Japanese model of trying the volume release thing again here is getting out of hand.

Of course, if there's an easy way to buy this in Canada, I'd probably do it... so I guess I have no principles. :p

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I wonder if they'll be releasing a full box set after Volume 6 becomes available. I hate to wait a whole other year for this, but it may be worth it in the long run.

In the meantime, here's hoping it shows up on Netflix or one of the anime apps.

7. Ithekro

As far as I know they don't do box set like that normally. They might sell a box at the end for you to fill with the earlier discs, but not a full box set.

And even if they did, it won't be cheaper.

8. RangerH

RangerH Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Has anyone heard any NEW info on the movie that is supposedly coming out in 2014?

9. firehawk12

People are saying that it's not a movie, but a complete reboot of the second season being "aired" in the same way as 2199.

10. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

That would make my day, (although I had read the producer of the original 'Journey to Iscandar' retelling wasn't planning on doing this for the 'Comet Empire' storyline); that said, I'll wait until we have confirmation on what it will be from an official source.

11. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really hope this is true. Series two ranks up there with Macross as my favorite sci-fi anime ever.

12. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

I like the idea of a comet empire storyline remake/retelling a lot better than the prequel ideas being discussed by tptb earlier.

13. 137th Gebirg

^^^ Me too. Glad they're taking it in this direction. Now if they could only figure out some miracle how to make Bolar Wars watchable. :D

14. Ithekro

The last thing we've heard from the producer is that there will be news soon and that "2199" would still be in the title, not "2195" or "2201".

So that suggests a side-story rather than a prequel or a sequel.

Early bets, based on the producer's racial leanings, is that the movie will be the story of what happens to Gamilas after Yamato leaves in 2199. There are five months or so between when Yamato left and the end of the year when Yamato returned to Earth. The Gamilas Empire has lost a lot of ships and key personel. Plus Dessler is missing and assumed dead. And we know the Comet Empire is out there pressing at the Gamilas borders.

The story would also be a way to setup for a second season of Yamato as you would have a movie budget to do all the ship and character art for the next season in the film. All those Comet Empire characters and ships. This would leave only the Earth ships and a few new characters to add in the next season (as a lot of people were introduced early in 2199).

Now this might follow the tale of the Admiral and his daugher as they fight for Gamilas and Iscandar. Or it might follow Dessler as he tries to regain his power or how he was "forced" into working with Zordar of the Comet Empire.

15. firehawk12

Rightstuf has the series on their site for pre-order now, so at least you can buy it from a "reputable" retailer instead of direct from them or from a Japanese bookstore that only exists in SF and NYC. lol

16. 137th Gebirg

17. firehawk12

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Love the series, finally watching the last 4 episodes today. This is the textbook way to "re-imagine" a series. I desperately want to see the Comet Empire now.

RAMA

19. firehawk12

Also, because I'm insane, I've been watching the official news updates for Yamato US:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUmLMF1Zj7Y

I think you have to be a fan of Japan to understand why this is funny and not completely surreal. But, as you can see from youtube comments, it's certainly alienating old time Starblazers fans.

20. Ithekro

Dommel's Fleet Battleship will join Bandai's line on Yamato 2199 1/1000 scale models lineup in July. No price yet as it was just accounced last week.

But it will be a long model. 73 centimeters long. Almost 29 inches long. And I want one. The other ships are in the , "yeah that might be nice" catagory, but Dommel's ship is a "must have" because of our convention gaming time. There is only one official miniature of that ship that I know of and it is four inches long. It is larger that most of ther other ships, but it just doesn't give off the menace of as super dreadnaught that is over twice the size of Yamato. Having the 1/1000 scale model on the table will give that impression. We will probably also get a 1/1000 scale Yamato to show with it. Just to impress on people just how big that ship is.