Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Lynn Minmay

Lynn Minmay Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, remake, yawn. Give me the 70's flares any day over this.

3. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know, Saul. It looks decent to me. The animation looks very similar, but the storyline is fleshed out some. The action is more graphic than I remember, but then I only saw the American TV version. In any case, assuming they dub it into english (I hate sub-titles), I'll give it a try.

4. Saul

The animation is great but it looks very much like a scene for scene remake. Nice homage but I don't feel the story needs to be reanimated. I watched the original Japanese series and that already did a great job of telling the story.
    I think the action in the new animation is just more detailed thanks to the animation quality of today but the colours as with a lot of today's anime looks faded and pale.

5. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really?

I didn't think they looked faded at all. And I'm glad the story is being so faithfull to the original. It was a great story. Unfortunately so many people these days will not even give it a try because it's 40 years old.

But a remake is something they'll give a try because it's "new and modern". That it's also faithful to the original gives them that great story combined with the modern animation techniques that the kids crave.

So you get new fans, but do so in a way that doesn't alienate the older ones. A win-win situtation I'd think.

Of course YMMV.

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks good. I'm not suprised their doing a remake, I mean if you want to make money after a live action movie a new series not too long afterwards is the way to go. HINT HINT PARAMOUNT.

Besides this thing is the closest to Trek in any typed of tv form we're likely getting for a while so make with the U.S. release damnit.

P.S. I'm suprised their not using more stuff from the new movie.

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like another Japanese fanservice t&a anime.

8. Saul

Definitely not as vivid or bright.

And I think the remake will give people even more reason (excuse) not to watch it now...

I've heard these same lines before when people talk about remaking old movies. People try new and modern because they are bombarded with new and modern. The original series is "original and as big as Star Wars in Japan".

Dude, kids will be a fraction of this shows audience.

Until some new fan comes up to me and says "hey i found this awesome new show called "Space Battleship Yamato"
    Me: "Yeah, I watched the original version from the 70s".
    Fan: "Original? no this series is original because...."
    Me: "Because it takes all the great storyline from the original and flashes them up a bit with newer animation".
    Fan: "yeah but 70s is old and looks gay"

And even if it's a remake, there is no appeal for me to watch it because it's not trying to do anything new, no new plot or reinvention of characters. They don't even try to shake it up a bit. I've seen this story already. I don't need to see it again.

9. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

I loved the movie.

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Still haven't seen the movie. I wonder if bestbuy has it yet.

11. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

A lot of people won't bother with the old 1970's series because it's old I'm afraid, this new series could be a great way to get new fans interested in space opera.

Troll post is fail.

12. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

I hope they dub it in English too. I loved the old Starblazers TV series.

13. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

At least its not a mini novel on why anime sucks and why we suck for liking it.

14. Ultramann

Ultramann Lieutenant Red Shirt

Ignore the rabble, this is YAMATO! I'm there to buy it!

15. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

Holy Hell!.....I will be waiting for this, and I didn't even know about the live action movie! after seeing trailer for it I Immediately ordered it. It must be on my shelf....now I'm eyeballing a 300 dollar Andromeda toy...yeesh...thanks, thanks alot!

16. Lynn Minmay

Lynn Minmay Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

17. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved the live action movie, and this looks like more riches for us longstanding fans of this anime.

18. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wait, this threads gone this long and nobodies posted a link to the trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSTe5QIgTDk&feature=related

As long as they're staying faithful to the original source material, I am all over this! (I'm sick to death of "We had to make changes to make the story accessible to modern audiences.")

Of course what I really hope is that it does well enough that they'll be able to do series two.

19. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the original starblazers and the live action movie was AWESOME!! now this remake look fantastic I hope we get it on NETFLIX. I all ready love the music score.

20. Rulius

Rulius Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So how can we watch this over here in the U.S.? I prefer subtitles to dubbing.