DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Superman #1 was better than I expected, but it's very traditional comic book. It really is reminiscent of something from twenty years or more ago, and it's not likely to attract much attention to the character.

The prose is leaden, and there's too much of the kind of dialogue discussed earlier. Also, as a reviewer at another site noted, Clark Kent's writing is awful and it resembles neither deadline or feature journalism in its structure and style.

Perez is probably not the guy to bring this book into the modern world. His layouts aren't interesting, and if he's going to keep doing the stories they ought to at least get another writer to do the narrative and dialogue.

The upsides are about what I expected, and a little more - the new status quo is better, and Clark is certainly a distinct personality in his values and attitudes from Lois and the others. It's easy to see the character Morrison is developing over in Action in this one. And it's nice to see that after five or six years human beings still don't know or entirely like him.

All change is for the sake of change, period. People simply have feelings about it.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

UPS doesn't come the instant the store opens.

I've got Superman #1 and TDK #1, will give them both a read tonight. Still waiting for Catwoman #1 to arrive at the store, DC #1 and Batman #1 through the mail.

I may pick up The Flash since a couple others here seemed to have liked it.

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't buy Teen Titans but I did read the preview; that shit is like straight up X-Men. HATE AND FEAR. It seems to be the big thing. Even the Flash has a subplot (that looks like it'll get quickly resolved, but you never know) about the Flash accidentally killing a guy.

He didn't, but I thought it was kind of neat that Barry Allen (as a CSI, he's a responder to the scene) is completely fucking nonchalant about the possibility that he did. That would be kind of great if intentional. Once a manslaughterer, always a manslaughterer, I guess.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Supes is pretty nonchalant about threatening to throw the bad guys in their van into outer space. My impression is that it's an empty threat and that he's messin' with them - calling their bluff on blowing up the van if he drops it in the water. Really, the guys have to have balls to even banter with a superhuman dude that's yanked their vehicle off of the street and has them thousands of feet in the air. :lol:

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I flipped through "Superman" and frak me I liked some of it...I also liked the fact that Morgan Edge was the successor to Glenmorgan who was mentioned in Action Comics. I do hope that they hook Clark up with someone, or else this is going to give people "Superman Returns" vibes, it already did for me lol. I don't think I'm going to be following this though, I keep flip flopping on it :)

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I pulled about 10 of the new #1's total and have to say the art in most of them was terrible compared to the last time I got comics in the 90's. Did all of the artists forget how to draw with clean lines?

Supergirl's art was the most to my liking with Teen Titans coming in at #2.

And WTF? Blackhawks read like a bad G.I. Joe comic.

7. Myasishchev

Wait, it's like Superman Returns? I may be missing out.

Yeah, I read the preview for that and decided that if I wanted a G.I. Joe comic, I'd buy one, since they are available. COOOOBRRAAA LALALALALALALALALA.

On the art front, I dunno. Yeah, it hasn't been great... I'm trying to think of the books which really wowed me on art, and Batwoman and Flash are the only ones that come to mind, although a bunch like Legion Lost and Wonder Woman have basically pleased me.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

He's referring to Clark apparently eavesdropping on Lois and Jonathan Carroll as he walks toward the elevator. I don't care one way or another about this kind of thing.

He's still quite the disheveled, ink-stained wretch we saw in Action, BTW - unruly hair, Harry Potter glasses and occasional sweater. I like the look.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aquaman #1 i really liked. the talking to fish and lame superhero jokes were good. i'll keep reading, though i've always liked Aquaman.

Superman #1 was really wordy. thats not always a bad thing, but with this comic it was. think i'll just stick with Action Comics.

10. Admiral_Young

Not only the eavesdropping but the apparent moping :) I love Superman Returns but I know there are fans who aren't particularly thrilled with that part of the movie.

11. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

That would be because the writer writes for the GI Joe Cobra Comic, which is very good imo.

It's too bad that he hasn't been able to reproduce the same success that he had there with Blackhawks.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Clark's a young man who doesn't like much of what's going on in his life right now.

Superman seems to be having a little better time of it; he's enjoying himself, and it's worth noting that becoming him is Clark's solution to not wanting to attend the Planet relaunch party.

Wonder if it will ever occur to Clark that he'd be happier just being Superman? The disappearance of the self he grew up as into the role he's acquiring ought to be both a concern and a temptation to him.

13. Myasishchev

I heard a review of it the other day that made me wanna pick it up. Apparently Cobra Commander's dead and the rest of Cobra is vying for the job, but none of them really, actually want it? That sounds like gold.

14. Admiral_Young

@Dennis, I understood the emotional context of the story. I don't really mind that at all and I did notice that he seems to be burying whatever is going on in his personal life when he's Superman which was interesting to me. I wish the dialogue was better...I did like the Planet staff and the Edge and Lois stuff. Not really sure I like this Jonathan Carroll guy but then we're probably not supposed to.

Justice League Dark was...kind of meh to me. Zee and Bruce's dynamic seemed off too me but I didn't mind Zee's redesigned.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

So do I. This is an instance where we agree on that aspect.

A likeable Jonathan Carroll would create a far more interesting dramatic situation, wouldn't it?

16. Admiral_Young

^ I totally agree about that. I don't see the need to make him a douchebag right off the bat. You don't have to be a douchebag to be someone's rival.

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The whole Johnathon Carroll scene reminded me of how Morgan Edge used to treat Clark in the 70's. It was very retro.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Is it just me or do the vast majority of the DC #1s have no story in them? It's like brief character introduction, tons of splash pages for no reason, introduce baddy at the very end for a cliffhanger.

For example, GL:NG. It's basically a retread of Kyle's origin, and then he gets attacked at the end. That's it. Or Dark Knight #1. Bruce goes to a party. And then Arkham is broken open for the hundredth time. So inspiring. Or Aquaman #1. He fights some lame robbers and goes to a diner. Then some bad guys show up at the end. Oh and there plenty of splash pages for no reason :p

19. Myasishchev

Flash had story.

20. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I still love Manapul's art, but something is different this time around. The look is a little more gloomy whereas his earlier Flash run was brighter. I wonder how much of that was intentional versus the fact that Buccellato is coloring it this time around.

I also love how the title of the first issue of The Flash is "The Flash". :lol:

Paging Richard White!

As did Superman.