Save the Enterprise Brewery!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by F. King Daniel, Jun 5, 2009.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    The new 1701 engine room is one of the very, very few things about the new movie I could NOT tolerate. It doesn't even look as advanced as Trip's engine room on the century-earlier NX-01. Looks like a space age brewery or waste treatment plant.

Dumb design.

2. Jimmy_C

Jimmy_C Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked it, but I think a place with an actual fusion reactor like the National Ignition Facility would be even better. Look at the pictures:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

What could possibly be flowing THROUGH all those pipes? Engines run on exactly three things in Trek: Matter, antimatter, and dilithium crystals. So at the most you'd need TWO pipes, not seventy thousand or however many they had.

4. cooleddie74

I hope they redesign main engineering for the next movie to make it a little more TOS or TOS-movielike...PLEASE!!! :scream: That is the worst part of an Enterprise redesign I've never been totally comfortable with to begin with.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Coolant.

They had a coolant leak in ST II.

6. cooleddie74

THAT much coolant?

Yowza. Starfleet must have designed the alternate-timeline Enterprise's warp core on a budget...or a dare. Maybe both?:wtf:

7. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Starfleet is into Overclocking. Theyre gonna get Warp 8 outa a Warp 6 core if it takes a million cubic litres of coolant if they have to.

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

There! That wasn't too hard. :techman:

9. Jimmy_C

Jimmy_C Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Coolant, actuator wiring, sensor wiring, EPS conduits and power taps, heat exchangers, backups (Starfleet's infamous "third backup" policy), computer data and network cables, coolent for them, forcefield safeties, batteries, aux power, etc..

10. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

Exactly. I kinda prefer this new 'refinery' look to the Engineering, though I would make one change, in that I'd prefer if there were some central looking 'components' that obviously are critical that the mass of pipes/tanks and the like are based around, if that makes sense?

11. The Exile

The Exile Ensign Red Shirt

I thought it looked fine. Most of these advanced physics labs look very similar. The combination of a seagoing ship's engine room and a lab was very convincing. As designs are 'frozen' at a particular stage it's always going to look like an Ipod attached to a wax cylinder player. Space shuttle astronauts attaching laptops to the shuttle's computers, for example.

12. THE CHEBB

THE CHEBB Captain Captain

It looked great if we doing Laverne & Shirley The Motion Picture, but the Engine Rooms gets a big "no go" from me - low budget looking IMHO.

13. JohanKoch

JohanKoch Lieutenant Red Shirt

I liked the idea of doing something different with the engine room. I even liked (or at least warmed to) the very low-tech design of it. It's just they didn't go far enough in making it seem like a practical starship engine room (especially those shots that showed the towering ceiling, far above). Remember, this isn't a modern day physics lab, or a nuclear reactor. It's a starship.

It didn't seem like a safe or practical design at all. All those open pipes and catwalks all over the place looked fragile, like one hit from a phaser or torpedo would send the whole thing tumbling down. It should have been subdivided more, with bulkheads, shielding, etc.

14. Carpe Occasio

Carpe Occasio Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What you really have to worry about is Starfleet selling the engine room to Belgian InBev.

15. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

16. Carpe Occasio

Carpe Occasio Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or worse yet, they switch to rocky mountain deuterium.

17. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I thought it looked a bit too concretey. Other than that, it was fine. I think it makes more sense than them crawling through jeffrey tubes and taking off a panel.

18. Indegato

Indegato Ensign Newbie

19. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Potable water, waste water, plasma, etc...could be anything.

20. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

No, those Belgian guys are the biggest and most voracious; they could rival the Orion Syndicate.