Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I held off on watching "Origins, Part 1" until just before Part 2 aired, though it turns out I didn't really need to, since it's not really a 2-parter, just two separate episodes. True, a lot of the basic exposition is held off until episode 2, and we don't meet Bulk & Spike or see the Megazord until then either, but then, a lot of prior seasons have done that same kind of gradual introduction.

Anyway, after seeing these at last, I can kind of imagine why Nickelodeon might've decided not to open the series with them. The first episode is rather too literal an adaptation; it feels very Japanese and not necessarily very relatable to a US audience. The second does better in that regard, but it's just not very well-executed. The mostly novice actors they cast were at their weakest this early on, and the attempts at humor and slapstick with Bulk & Spike were clunky. Although, really, it's not as if the next few episodes were much better.

2. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

well I am just glad they finally aired the pilot. it was okay enjoyed it.
    next week we have the team right? that's what I got from the previews.

3. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I wasn't personally bothered by the fact that Origins P2 really wasn't 'part 2' to anything, because it 'felt' like it belonged in direct sequence with Origins P1, at least to me.

After having watched both episodes - particularly last week's - I've come to the conclusion that the issues I had with the decision to air The Team Unites first weren't actually with said decision itself, but with the execution of said decision; TUE is really not the best episode to have aired as the season premiere because it's extremely generic and formulaic and offers very little in the way of exposition or character development. Deal with a Nighlok would've been a much better premiere episode if Nick and Saban were set on not giving Samurai a 'traditional' premiere.

Speaking of The Team Unites, Origins P2 also put a new context on what Ji and Jayden tell Mike in that episode regarding his life as a Samurai Power Ranger and the way that those things seem to clash with or be contradicted by subsequent episodes as it concerns the Samurai Rangers and their public presence/footprint. Given Mike's attitude with regards to being a Samurai Ranger as demonstrated in Origins P2, the things that Ji and Jayden tell him in TUE now seem like they were personal guidelines designed to get him to focus on the task at hand as opposed to general 'rules' meant to be applied to the group as a whole.

BTW, am I the only person who got a kick out of the whole 'Zord Totem Pole' thing in this episode? I thought it was hillarious.

4. timothy

no I thought that was Hillarious.

5. Christopher

Well, this week's Halloween episode is probably the most pointless half-hour in the history of Power Rangers, and that's saying something. It's a clip show with the bizarre premise that the ghosts of all the monsters the Rangers have destroyed are holding a party in the afterlife, reminiscing about their battles with the Rangers. It's all monsters and we only see the Rangers in flashbacks. It's pretty odious. The only bits I liked were when the monsters got a bit meta and commented on the Rangers' tendency to turn and pose while the monster blew up behind them.

6. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought today's episode was fun; yes, it was a clip show, and yes, it didn't really do much in terms of the overall scheme of things with regards to Samurai's story arc and whatnot, but I don't think it needed to. It really reminded me of Ninja Storm's The Wild Wipeout, which used a similar convention of turning traditional PR conventions upside down. It also reminded me of the B:TAS episode where some of the villains sit around telling stories featuring themselves and Batman.

7. timothy

I was alittle dissapointed that this was just a clip show. I hate that it does'nt even count as an episode.

8. Christopher

But the difference is that B:TAS's "Almost Got 'Im" was actually entertaining. This was just boring. There were no real characters and no real story, just interchangeable monsters narrating stock footage, so the episode was basically just a series of gags. It depended entirely on the humor for its interest. But Samurai's attempts at humor have, as a rule, been pretty lame, and this was no exception.

9. timothy

Power Rangers Samurai - Clash of the Red Rangers awesome!!!!!

10. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Power Rangers Samurai - Clash of the Red Rangers-why bother? :wtf:
    They couldn't get any members of the RPM cast back, making it the worst crossover of the franchise. Scott staying morphed because he was afraid to breathe air that wasn't supplied by the dome city? They left the dome all the time, with no problems. And why was Antonio not seen but stunt doubled? It's not like there was a massive guest cast that ate the budget. And RPM Red gets stuck fixing a car during the climatic battle. :alienblush: Wow. There were a couple of fun moments-the gag with taking the motorcycle. And the actor for Scott managed a good Eka Darville voice. I thought it was Eka, until the credits said otherwise. But, overall, this was a letdown, a waste of time.

11. timothy

I am curious is the shark sword sopposed to be his battleizer?

how come the rpm red ranger never got a battleizer?

12. Christopher

So it wasn't even the whole RPM team, just Red? Oh, well, probably better that way. (I won't get to watch it until I get back from vacation.)

13. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Just watched it. I went in knowing that we wouldn't be seeing the RPM cast so I wasn't too disappointed in that respect. A few things to note:

New hairstyles for Jayden and Emily.

Where was Steven Skyler (Antonio)?

WTF was the deal with the subway being the link between dimensions? :lol:

Scott sounded exactly like Eka Darville, yet it apparently wasn't him according to the credits. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it actually was Eka using a pseudonym, though I can't imagine why he'd use one.

A bunch of new stuff suddenly appears in their arsenal: new zord, new weapon, and "Super Mode".

There's a symbol power for ... a sports car? :wtf:

"He took my bike!" :lol: For some reason that got a big laugh from me.

Scott seemed uncharacteristically douchebaggy, even before being hit with the hypnobolts.

There was what seemed to be an intentional lack of RPM namedrops. :confused:

I got the impression that they skipped a number of episodes by airing this now.

Overall, it was ok, considering they had to do without any of the RPM cast.

14. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

A theory surfaced over the weekend that may explain things. Again, it's only internet musings, so here goes...
    PRS is a non union production, and Darville is a member of SAG, and as such, couldn't appear-or be credited under his real name and thus a pseudonym had to be used.
    It did sound like him, and the end credits were a shock to me as well. So, this theory may prove to be true.

15. BlackFire3

BlackFire3 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

power rangers samurai is ok and all, i've seen a few eps and thought "meh" mostly. i'm really old fashion, having grown up during the "zordon era", so i admit i'm a little biased towards the later versions. (although i did like "dino-thunder" and most cross-over eps)
    i liked seeing that Bulk is back, but without Skull there as well, it leaves something wanting to me.
    i'm personally waiting for the next version of pr to come along. if the american series continues (taking basic premise from the original japanese counterpart) then we'll be seeing those rangers occasionally morphing into the rangers before them. which would make for interesting cross-over eps too. that and i'm curious to know if they'll bring back the dragonzord from the zordon era since it was never destroyed. the battle it would be in (and admittingly its last most likely, and ashamedly) would be epic. or at least that's what it deserves for being forgotten for 20 years.

16. timothy

did every one catch them in the macy's parade?

17. Christopher

That was definitely Eka Darville's voice, and the name given in the credits (Tobias Reiss) has no entries on IMDb other than these two episodes, further evidence that it's a pseudonym.

This was a pretty lame one overall. The story was awkwardly structured to justify keeping Scott and Antonio in costume throughout and to avoid showing the rest of the RPM team. Although it's just as well we didn't see the rest of the RPM Rangers dragged down to this. The real Scott Truman was a much richer character. (Besides, the RPM Rangers defeated the robots and began to rebuild their world, so these are definitely an alternate version.) The whole subway thing was arbitrary. The lengthy fakeout sequence with Jayden and Scott pretending to be enemies in order to get close to the villains made no sense -- it's not like they wouldn't have gotten just as close otherwise. And if getting close was their goal, why wage that whole fake battle to the death (while fighting off a biracial myrmidon army at the same time, no less) once they were already there? Completely pointless except as an excuse for a gratuitous Red Ranger showdown.

That Shark Sword thing was ridiculous and cartoony (plus if they have such a supreme advantage, why not use it from the start?), and I really could've done without that sequence where the Rangers used it to essentially castrate the giant general. Eww. Come on, guys, phallic tentacles belong in hentai, not Sentai!

And I agree, it definitely looks like this episode was aired too early in the sequence, since there have been some missed developments -- the new power-ups and gear (what was that lantern thingy Antonio was holding in one battle and never used?), the haircuts, the hints of a Mike-Emily attraction (I like Emily's braids, by the way), the absence of Dayu and the addition of a new male monster in Xandred's court. (Or did Dayu already walk out? I forget.) Not to mention the lack of Bulk and Spike, though that might've been just for this one (since the credits seemed to be specially made for the "movie," as they billed the hourlong edit of the two-parter).

My favorite bit was when the Grinders changed into motorcycles for the Moogers to ride, but one stayed unchanged and just bent over and let a Mooger climb on his back and run around. And then the payoff where they came up behind Scott, realized they were up a creek, and then turned around and tried to sneak off. I also liked the "rage against the machine" line, one of the few times this show has managed to make me laugh with a fight quip.

18. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

"Clash of the Red Rangers" also tried to combine two different movies

Shinkenger's standalone movie(
    The mecha battle was from that movie)

Shinkenger VS Go-Onger

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UySGpajh20A[/YT]

Another new piece of equipment that Power Ranger's Samurai failed to mention

In Shinkenger the lantern was called Daigoyu

http://supersentai.com/database/2009_shinkenger/og-daigoyou.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXCgm2JaZsE

The Gold Ranger brought it to life.

Daigoyu was also the only one to see the Gokaiger's cameo in

Goseiger VS Shinkenger team up movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UteDDV-VShA&feature=player_detailpage#t=111s

19. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Tokumei Sentai Gobuster revealed. A few months ago the title was revealed by a licensing site

Story:

[​IMG]

And yes the transformation call is "It's Morphing Time" and the brace is called the Morphin Brace.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  20. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

No, Scott isn't "definitely" an alternate version at all. You're just assuming that the Scott we saw must be from a point in time after the end of RPM. He could easily be from a point in between episodes. A similar example is SPD's Wormhole, where they time-travelled to a point in time in the middle of Dino Thunder's run.