How much vacation time do you get?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by RoJoHen, Aug 26, 2014.

?

How much vacation time do you get each year?

1. None

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. 1 week or less

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 2 weeks

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  4. 3 weeks

11 vote(s)
    16.4%
  5. 4 weeks

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  6. More than 4 weeks

34 vote(s)
    50.7%
  1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

A separate topic has emerged from another thread, and it has sparked my interest.

As you may or may not know, vacation time is not guaranteed in the USA. Many jobs still offer those benefits, but they are not legally required to do so. I've noticed that many people from outside the US find this information shocking to learn.

So now I'm curious. How much vacation time to you receive at your job? Are you salaried or an hourly employee? Full-time or part-time? Did you have to work there for a while before you earned that vacation time, or did you get it right from the start?

I personally work a full-time hourly management job and get absolutely zero paid vacation. This is the first job I've ever had where I didn't get any vacation time. I can take time off pretty much whenever I want, but I don't get any compensation for it.

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I get roughly 3 weeks a year. I guess that's sort of decent by US standards.

3. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Two weeks - paid. Plus six "major" holidays.

In two more years I will get 3 weeks paid.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Oh yeah...holidays. I don't get those off either. :lol:

I take off Thanksgiving and Christmas because my family lives about 3 hours away, so I have to travel, but the business stays open.

5. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I get 25 paid working days not including the 8 bank holidays.

You have to save 3 of those days for when the office is shut but it's still good compared to some of my colleagues who work in other countries.

For the record, I'm salaried and a full time office body.

At one point, we also had flexitime (no longer) and you could use that to generate an extra 12 days though you were really only supposed to use one of those per month.

6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

None. Any time off I have is unpaid.

7. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

I currently get 20 vacation days, 3 paid excused days, 7 minor illness days, and 11 holidays or business driven days off.

So six weeks all in.

I do need to be better about taking my vacation days, I've got 10 extra in the bank from the last two years that I'll lose at the end of the year if I don't take them.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

4 weeks a year (although I can't take more than one week off at a time), plus 2 "extra" days.

No paid sick time.

I think we get time and a quarter for holiday pay, but no automatic holidays off except Christmas (store's closed).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  9. John Clark

We used to be able to carry forward days, but they put a stop to that a while ago:(

Came in useful some years.

10. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I feel like this needs the added dimension of "How long have you worked at your current job?"

I've been in my job for 7 years and get 3 weeks + roughly 10 holidays/year. Yay for bank hours.

ETA - I can rollover up to 40 hours from year to year, though for better or worse the past couple of years I've pretty much maxxed out my time.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

18 years as of next January.

12. PicardAnyCard

PicardAnyCard Ensign Red Shirt

As a waiter, my requests for vacation time are generally rewarded with polite laughter, and occasionally with derisive snorts. If I made the request in writing, I'd probably get a photocopy of an upraised middle finger.

13. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Comes out to about three weeks per year. It's cumulative. Worked there three years and saved up close to five weeks. No holidays off, though, unless they happen to fall on the days I normally have off.

14. John Clark

21 years as permanent staff so far. 2 years before that as an apprentice for me.

15. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

By U.S. standards, it's well above average. By the standards of the rest of the developed world, it's still well below the standard, which is a shame. The U.S. is also the only developed nation that doesn't mandate paid vacation days.

Japan, which has a well-known reputation for its highly stressed, hard working society, mandates 20 paid vacation days a year, not counting national holidays. We offer zero.

16. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Technically hourly, I suppose, or at least that's how it's broken out. Full time.

I get 20 vacation days a year. Started with 13, get bumped to 20 after 5 years. At 15 years (I've been there 11), I'll get 25 days a year. I can only carry over 240 hours, so you have to use a certain amount or lose it eventually.

Additionally, 13 sick days a year. That one doesn't change with years in. Although that time doesn't expire, so I can bank it for years and then have enough to take a month off if I had an accident or something.

There are then 13 federal holidays I get paid for each year, so all in all, not too shabby.

17. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I'm classified permanently disabled since about 2002 or so, so I'm on a permanent vacation.

18. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Bonzo Admiral

I get 6 weeks paid vacation each year and 14 paid holidays the the company shuts down. Sick days are part of vacation time.

19. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Let's see...

I am an hourly employee who has been at my current job for about 3 years now. I started accruing it right away; in fact, my first year here was as a temp, and the vacation I earned during that time is still valid.

Vacation and sick leave are accrued on an hourly basis, but I was able to find some "approximate annual" amounts. It looks like I get about 12 days of sick leave a year and 15 days of paid vacation a year. So, three weeks. For every 5 years of service you accrue an additional 3 vacation days a year. There is a max, however. At 5 years of service or less, the max you can hold is 6 weeks. You stay at that amount until you use some of it, at which point you begin accruing it again. If you have 20 years of service, you could hold up to 9.5 weeks of paid vacation time.

I also get 13 paid holiday days throughout the year. There is no option to come in during this time as the offices are closed.

And of course there are also the various types of medical, bereavement, disability, family care, etc. leaves, but most of this would be unpaid.

I currently have 11.6 days of sick leave and 18.21 vacation days. It's not that I can't or don't want to use my vacation time, I just don't have the money to go on an actual vacation and no one to go with. I need to start taking some random days off just to spend at home.

20. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

3 weeks plus 3 "holiday credits" to use at my discretion. I've had that since I started 10+ years ago. Plus actual paid major holidays.

When I get to 12 years, I get another week of vacation.

Sick days are 3/4 pay until 15 years, then they go to 100% pay, but I've only used a few sick days in the last year and none before that.