Kirk Enterprise - the Enterprise(a)?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Cadet49, Apr 18, 2013.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was a scene or at the very least test footage shot in his office. Concept art shows him recieving Mr. Harewood's message on his holographic phone. We also see a one-second snippet from this same scene it at the very end of the "powerwall" video (all over in the concept art thread)

2. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

His appearance in this thread is long overdue!

3. F. King Daniel

With the deleted scene available (albeit only to Xbox One + iPad owners), you'd think we'd have gotten some confirmation one way or the other by now.

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's been three months exactly and rather than confirm for 100% certainty that it exists all anyone has done is post theories speculating on how it could be real and accuse those who don't believe it's real of being a TOS purist. As far as I'm concerned it's a fake, like good senator is famous for saying. I don't care if it makes me a TOS purist, but at this point nothing less than posting a link to the scene itself will convince me.

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

No one has done anything of the sort. Looking back through this thread, the only person who was making a stink about this photo and getting rebuffed was you. And the only person who even mentioned the word "purist" was Gonzo, and he was just making a general statement and not accusing you personally (and he wasn't even referring to TOS specifically), so please stop being so overly dramatic.

You're welcome to believe it's a fake, and no one has told you that you should believe otherwise. I, however, believe it's real, simply because the 0718 meme is too specific for some random faker to utilize. The number obviously has some special meaning to someone on the production staff; ergo, it was one of them who created this for the film before it got cut.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  6. The Wormhole

But what does that actually prove, though? If you're able to pick up on this meme, than so could anyone else.

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I never said that it "proved" anything. I said that it was my rationale for thinking it was legit. Sure, any faker could superimpose a pic of a TOS Connie into that photo, but why label it with that specific number and name? Why not label it "U.S.S Constellation NCC-1017," or "U.S.S Constitution NCC-1700," or something similar? Why "U.S.S Biddeford NCC-0718?" It goes along with the 0718 meme of the movie, so I feel that someone involved with the film's production created it.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

To piss off the LOOTHOLZ (Loyal Order of The Haters of Leading Zeroes) :guffaw:

<Runs and Hides>

9. The Wormhole

Hey, HEY!

First rule of LOOTHOLZ: Do not discuss LOOTHOLZ with outsiders.

10. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

No one has said that the reason it looks so fake and slightly off, raising the suspicions of some posters, is the reason it was cut out of the film in the first place because they just couldn't make that shot look good and the scene that was chopped with it wasn't that important to the overall arc of the movie? :confused:

And THIS is the exact thing that happens when you spread all your deleted scenes out across multiple different platforms hoping people will buy the same film multiple times to see all of them.
    Thanks a lot, moneymen :rolleyes:

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This has nothing to do with people buying multiple copies. Retailers pay for exclusives to get people in their doors. Paramount/Bad Robot would be stupid not to give the retailers what they want.

12. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

I'm sure it's been gone through ad infinitum and I don't want to derail this thread more than the current de-railing it's currently undergoing but retailers are stupid if they think DVD/Blu Ray extras are going to sway me from one store to another.

Personally, I LOVE a blooper reel and deleted scenes, they're my priority when it comes to extras.
    But if they think I'm going to suddenly change my routine just to get them (either trek across town to a store that's one of the chain that has the DVD with those extras or change from physically purchasing to digitally purchasing, etc) then nope, like the majority of people I'm going to buy the main thing I intend to purchase (the film), see what extras I get then whine loudly about it on the internet until this B.S practice stops.

It's just the latest marketing gimmick from a dying industry trying to stave off death for yet another day.
    Hopefully when a few more of these stores fall by the wayside there'll only be 1 main physical purchaser to go along with itunes and netflix and hopefully the extras roast won't have to be so thinly calved next time.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Then the prices of the physical items will go through the roof which will be good for everyone who likes physical media. Plus, a tom of jobs would be lost which would be great for the economy.

I think I can live with the inconvenience of a few split extras.

14. Maxillius

Maxillius Commander Red Shirt

Back to the Kelvin-contemporary Enterprise, I don't think it's inconcievable to have had one, even a original-config Connie of that name, but I call BS on her being NCC-1701. Starfleet isn't above recycling names on ships with the same class (USS Saratoga NCC-1937, NCC-31911). Given the 0718 number of the Biddeford (which I suspect was reassigned to the other ship at space dock when this scene was cut), April's Enterprise being something like 0801, 0901, 1001, 1101, 1201, 1301, 1401, 1501, 1601 isn't out of the question, and that's assuming Starfleet demanded a xx01 registry. I'm thinking April's Enterprise just wasn't as noteworthy as the others.

15. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

16. Cap.GRPrime1701

Cap.GRPrime1701 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

17. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

...have there not been 718 episodes, all told, of the various incarnations of Star Trek?...

18. The Wormhole

Well I'll be motherfucked up the goat ass, it is real after all. Still, it looks really crappy, and what the hell is keeping it in place anyway. Yeah, I know had the scene been in the movie it would have looked better and they likely would have included some sort apparatus showing how it hanging or something.

And while I now admit that I was wrong I do not apologize for my skepticism since my doubts were very legitimate based on the actual facts available to me at the time the picture was first posted. And I stand by those doubts on those grounds.

Meanwhile, in the scene itself, around the 30 second mark, is it me or does Noel Clark say he has a message from "John Ericson"? John Ericson of course was Khan's name in early drafts of Space Seed, but if that is indeed what is said here, it kind of shoots down what Orci has been saying about John Harrison being developed first and then turned into Khan. Or was he first written as Harrison, changed to Ericson when to was decided to go with Khan only to become Harrison again in the final film?

According to Memory Alpha, there are 728, but that's if you include all episodes from all series, including TAS and all 12 movies.

19. F. King Daniel

I think the model looks awesome! I love the idea that the old Constitution-class existed or exists in this timeline also.

"Ericson" was how the film was scripted and shot. They re-dubbed "Harrison" in post, believing it to be too obvious a giveaway.
    (From either Orci's posts at Trekmovie or his Twitter, I don't remember exactly)

20. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

**Happy neard dance**

Just a shame they didn't have it marked "Enterprise", NCC-0701. :lol: