I think I'm the only one here enjoying "The Neighbors"...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by propita, Nov 6, 2012.

1. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know, I know! It's a silly show! But as far as silly shows go, it's making me laugh. A lot. Enough that, even if it's canceled, I'll buy the (short) season, just to have something handy that makes me laugh.

I like how so much of the weirdness has become routine for the human family. I like the names the aliens use. I like how unusual Dick Butkus looks. I love the acting of the characters Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Reggie Jackson, and Larry Bird--whom I'd swear I'd seen elsewhere, but evidently the actor's done more voiceovers.

I'm expecting that this show will be canceled. **sigh**

eta: I read online it's going for a full first season. Yay!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  2. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Not the only one, I enjoy it too. After what was without doubt the worse first episode, I really don't know how it got picked up based on that pilot. The show has really found its legs.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I completely agree. The pilot was so bad I was yelling at how my TV, it was pitiful! I was shocked it got picked up from that too.

However the Halloween episode and the birthday episodes, were so much fun. I don't know how it can stay on the air for years and years without getting bored, but it's really fun now!

5. Peter Q Taggart

Peter Q Taggart Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Fun show! I am a fan as well. And Jami Gertz is still hot.

6. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Agree. The jokes were so lame and unfunny.

Maybe I'll give it another shot. "Community" won me over with their Halloween episode of a couple of years back.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I love this show too! I just wish the humans didn't find out in the first episode they should have strung that out longer.

8. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

I like it too. At first glance it seemed to be one of those really dumb shows that you just know won't last even a full season. Yet as I continued to watch, it started to grow on me. Yeah, it's still kinda dumb, but an entertaining dumb.

9. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I was actually pretty amused by it but then forgot all about it when my DVR stopped recording it for some reason. I'll have to give it a try again.

10. bigdaddy

It's no Community, but t's very enjoyable dumb comedy.

11. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I realize this is a bit of thread Necromancy, but I couldn't find another thread about the show more current than this one...

Anywho, I just finished watching the "High School Dance" episode and I'm still amazed how enjoyable this show is. It's become one of the first shows I watch every week in my queue.

I'm glad to see others where enjoying it earlier in the season, is that still the case?

I'm really looking forward to a Series renewal of this quirky little gem of a show.

(Maybe it's just me, but the new sitcoms of late seem to be delivering more and more of late. Raising Hope, Go On, and The Neighbors especially so.)

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved it when Debbie kept comparing herself to Drug addicts last week.

Why does Reggie Jackson's new girlfriend look like she's Nine?

13. bigdaddy

I loved the commercial during The Middle that went. This is what critics said at first "Horrible", "how did this get made?!?" and 20 other bad things. Then they went "this is what people say now! "a hoot" "best new comedy".

So ABC knows it's much improved. I don't see it living long, it's ending it's season early and that's never a good thing.

I hope they bring up this little side joke of when the human dad was watching alien health class the video brought up an invasion. That would be a fun arc.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I still love this show and I really hope it gets renewed. I love the aliens' attitudes about things, particularly the dad. I love that the sitcom uses a horror movie soundtrack for everything.

15. Tom Hendricks

After Elementary, this is our second favorite new show for this year. I'm very happy I didn't give up on it after, the single worse pilot episode of any television show, ever. The show is actually quite funny and engaging. I think that comes from how well the episodes are now written and the actors they chose to fill the characters. There are still some weak parts, especially the actress who plays the oldest daughter Amber Weaver. However I thought she improved majorly with Dance Episode.

16. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a short attention span where sitcoms are concerned. If they don't grab me right away, I abandon them. That is what happened with this show. The pilot was horrid.

Sounds like it may be worth giving a second chance.

17. Tom Hendricks

It really is worth it, IMHO. Believe me, no one is more surprised then myself. My wife even likes it and she normally doesn't like these kinds of programs.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I love Amber Weaver! She's so confident and dead pan, so unlike the typical sit com teenager.

19. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Still loving the show! The cast is really getting used to the characters.

Reggie Jackson brings such heart to everything. Loved how Amber, after turning Reggie down, looked at him kinda wistfully.

20. Captain April

Captain April Commander Red Shirt

I missed the first couple of shows, but I've been watching it since I found it. I'm really enjoying it.