What is your least favourite TNG film

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Infern0, Jun 24, 2013.

?

Vote away

1. Generations

24 vote(s)
    18.9%
  2. First Contact

7 vote(s)
    5.5%
  3. Insurrection

37 vote(s)
    29.1%
  4. Nemesis

59 vote(s)
    46.5%
  1. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

that's just amazing to me. I've been on these boards a while, and I still don't get the "Generations" hate. It's not up there with my favorites, but it's solid and enjoyable, and about right in the middle of the pack.

TFF is just a mess.

2. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nemesis - too many plot holes, stupid dune buggy nonsense, and it ripped off elements of other trek films.
    I completely understand the hate for Insurrection, but at least the scenery was nice.

3. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

What are all these plot holes in NEM people keep referring too?

I understand the Data/B-4 one.
    The Shinzon clone and time of creation being the most problematic.

What else though?

4. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It sure is. A beautiful mess that happens to have some of the best Kirk-Spock-McCoy interplay since the series. Generations is a bore.

5. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

:techman:

6. sonak

I agree about the interplay of the Big Three. Good music too, and there's a real TOS feel to it.

I struggle to understand Generations being described as a "bore," though. It's got the destruction of the Enterprise-D, the death of Captain Kirk, etc.

7. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Nemesis is defintely for me the worst of the tng movies. Star trek generations (great solid fun movie) best part:when data gets emotions
    worst part:kirk death scene
    Star trek first contact: truly great star trek movie and my personal favorite. Best part: everything
    worst part: If I had to choose one it would be the scenes with data and the borg queen.
    Star trek insurrection (felt like a extended episode from the seventh season)
    Star trek nemisis (terrible movie felt forced almost as bad as final frontier)
    best part:none
    worst part:everything

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

No one acted like they cared about the Enterprise being trashed and Kirk's death was underwhelming. The film had no emotional hook to it, at least for me.

If I'm not attached emotionally, it doesn't matter how many action set pieces they string together it'll be dull. In my opinion.

9. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Having just watched FC again, I'll say again that it's a truly fun action flick, but to me it's still not the best TNG film. But that's what I love about Star Trek, there's something for every one.

10. CaptainBearclaw

CaptainBearclaw Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Insurrection. My explanation? IT CAN'T BE SAVED.

If fan-editor Anti-Matter has shown us anything, it's that there's hope for Generations, and hope for Nemesis. But Insurrection's flaws run SO DEEP that there's no hope for it. Just the very conception of its premise, the implications of the morale etc.

The other two have good premises, but bad execution, which can be corrected by a good fan-editor. And if you need any more reason, watch Linkara's review.

11. sonak

:techman: yes, I think you've hit on the key. It's the only one that really would require going back to the drawing board and doing a major re-write to fix.

12. CaptainBearclaw

13. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

The only one I enjoy re-watching is Generations. I'm a Malcolm McDowell fan and enjoy his portrayl of Soran. Its also the first ST movie I went to see in the theater by myself, so it has a bit of a special place in my heart to me.

Worst for me, First Contact. Special effects were pretty bad, the story was hokey, the way the characters acted (especially those on Earth) seemed fake and annoying, and Cochrane was just too annoying for me as well. Also, I find it very hard to believe that Geordi and Riker were both part of the warp flight. Just seemed too cheesy for me.

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I rewatch NEM more than INS because NEM's suckiness is kind of car crashy while INS is just boring as all crap. So I voted INS as my least favorite though I think NEM was a worse film.

FC was my favorite Trek film for years, but I overwatched it. I've always loved GEN.

15. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I will say that Patrick Stewart nailed the scene between Picard and Troi over the photo album but the rest of the film was so stale and lifeless.

16. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

INS has Picard's singing. Your argument is invalid ;).

17. CaptainBearclaw

@the Stig: I agree with you on that Picard/Troi scene. However, I've never had the biggest problem with everything in the movie. Except for the ending. I am a much bigger fan of the original ending, part of the reason I requested it in the workprint thread.

18. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember being excited to go watch it. I was even spouting off to my coworkers at the time "I'm going to watch Nemesis! It's going to be kick ass!" Went with a good friend from work.

Then I saw it and slowly it became stupider and stupider.

"Why is there a damn dune buggy with wheels in this movie?"
    "Does it use gasoline? so you know, you get the full nostalgic effect of driving an ancient vehicle"

"Where are the fucking Romulans? I was promised mother fucking Romulans! All I see is fucking vampires!"

"Why does B4 sound like he's got a broomstick up his ass?"

"Why is the goddamn set so dark?"

"Why is the Andromeda Ascendant showing up in a Star Trek movie? oh wait, it's the "Schimitar" and it's got a gazillion torpedo launchers and twice as many phaser banks, and like 8 layered shields :guffaw:"

And just kept getting progressively worse. Then Data died and I felt like I got kicked in the balls, and everyone was fucking depressed, and the entire movie ended this way.

My buddy goes to me "wow, next week when LOTR - 2 Towers comes out, this movie will disappear completely off the radar"

And he was right. When LOTR came out a week later, Nemesis was done.

19. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted for Nemesis. I just remember how tired the cast looked and how tired I was at the whole proceeding when I watched it. I bought it on DVD and it improved slightly after subsequent viewings, though I still think it was such a misfire that it remains the least enjoyable of the TNG films for me.

Insurrection wasn't perfect. I think the forced comedy didn't work for the most part, though some jokes did. And while Insurrection felt a bit light it wasn't dealing with light subject matter and I thought the Son'a had potential, especially their cool warships. I preferred using them instead of Nemesis giving us a Romulan movie where the Romulans took a backseat to the Remans. I didn't hate the Remans, but I wish the Romulans had been front and center.

My TNG rankings:
    1. First Contact
    2. Generations
    3. Insurrection
    4. Nemesis

20. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

The Remans made no sense to me. They just spring out of no where but everyone seems to know about them. Are they an offshoot of the Romulans? Were they native to the Romulus and then uprooted? Why is Remus considered the joint homeworld if its just a dumping ground for space-vampires and deadly weapons? (Plus wouldn't the Romulans have learned from Praxis to move that kinda stuff far away from their homeworld?)

It would have been better if they'd been dropped and there was a greater focus on the Romulans, they are a complex enough race to have a political coup on their own.