Sci-Fi TV Shows that you're pretty sure only you watched.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dale Sams, Jan 28, 2013.

1. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Talk about going way back! I remember watching The Girl with Something Extra when it was first run on NBC. Sally Field was "the girl" who used ESP as the platform for rather lukewarm comedy. By the time TGWSE aired, "magical" fantasy sitcoms had been wiped away from TV, or if they appeared at all, the magic was reduced to something less fantastic (threatening?), such as ESP (much like that used by Juliet Mills' character from Nanny and the Professor).

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Has anybody mentioned It's About Time yet? I'd love to have that on DVD.

3. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I vaguely remember "Tucker's Witch". It had Catherine Hicks in it. I remember it being pretty good but it has been so long I've forgotten the details.

4. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Yup, watched some of those with my sister.

5. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm. The Starlost. I took a look at it in first run, and couldn't sit through the first episode, it was so depressing.

Project UFO. I remember it well. Produced by Jack Webb's "Mark VII Limited." Had a rather amusing open: it faded up from black to a drawing of a wheel-shaped spacecraft, as a couple bars of the old spiritual, "Ezekiel Saw the Wheel" is intoned on ominous-sounding low brass. Jack Webb's narration: "Ezekiel saw the wheel. This is the wheel he said he saw. These are unidentified flying objects people have said they've seen. . . ." and continuing in that vein, explaining that the show was about Project Blue Book.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, that was tying into the Von Daniken-style ancient-astronaut hype that was popular in the '70s, the idea that various mystical visions or artistic depictions of divine phenomena from history were actually visitations by aliens and their ships. The original Battlestar Galactica was also heavily built around the similar notion that aliens had influenced or founded ancient human cultures ("There are those who believe..." etc.).

7. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    The Phoenix also did the Von Daniken ancient alien thing. Judson Scott was the lead. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phoenix_(1982_TV_series)

There was a movie made from John D. MacDonald's, 'The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything' which I wished had been turned into a TV show.

8. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

The Von Daniken thing was everywhere in the seventies: at least three Doctor Who stories - not to mention Space: 1999.

9. MLJames

MLJames Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Given how bad the sequel movie (The Girl, The Gold Watch, and Dynamite) turned out, we're probably better off not having it as a series.

10. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Yeah, good thing they dropped filming Batman movies after Clooney's terrible outing.

11. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Middleman was so good! It was doomed by being on ABC Family just before the 700 Club :(
    One of my favorites of all time!

12. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sure many people on here have seen Space 1999 but when I was growing up I knew of no one else that watched the show.

13. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

Well, I don't know - but given the comments I tend to read about Space: 1999 here and in other forums, I sometimes think that I'm the only one who's actually seen it. Everyone else has seen a completely different show that just happens to have the same name...

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw every Space: 1999 episode in first run syndication. It was definitely less popular than Star Trek, which meant that only one or two others my age at my school also watched it, the truly hardcore sci-fi geeks. :lol: At least Star Trek picked up more casual viewers.

15. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I and one of my friends did, but I didn't know of others at the time.
    (I've since picked up the first series on Blu Ray)

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Sometime around 1980 or so, my local independent station had a Thursday-night "showcase" of Star Trek and Space: 1999 back to back. I still remember how weirded out I was one night when they showed the ST episode "The Immunity Syndrome" followed immediately by the S1999 episode "The Immunity Syndrome." I imagine that whoever did the scheduling at the station couldn't resist putting them together.

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I remember the shape-changing chick from Season Two, but that's about it . . .

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

They actually made that? I had no idea it ever progressed beyond script form.

Oh, and I have never seen Doorways, but I wanted to. :sigh:

19. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

By the time 1999 ran here it was the only SciFi on TV (the days of public broadcasting monopoly) and ALL the boys at school loved it - We'd even collect and swap chewing-gum cards with pictures from the series.

When ST ran (on a German channel) it was pretty much the same thing (except for the chewing gum).
    Bummer! -she's the main reason the second series sucked :rommie:

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had a Space: 1999 lunch box when I was a kid, but I had no idea what it was - I had never seen the show (and still haven't)!