Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Battle of the Atom conclusion was shite.

There was so much set up in the beginning and then at the end nothing.

I'm much more enjoying the specials where these kids are playing with the Hulk and Superior Spider-Man.

Speaking of Superior Spider-Man... I so thought that he was going to nail Felicia.

Bad putty cat, bad putty cat.

Meow-BEHAVE!

POW! Straight to the moon!

After he punked out with Mary Jane, there were reasons not to sleep with Mary Jane but his final analysis was that he shouldn't bother with a doomed relationship and... It was all just code from the editors that Mary-Jane was going to stay in her Mylar bag till Peter comes back.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

What a crock of shit.
    Sorry, not a reason. Comics existed for decades with story lines coming and going while the numbering survived.

I miss the days when a change in direction and/or creative meant just advertising the newness with in-house ads.

The days of a title, from either of the big two, getting to a number 50 now are few and far between.

I was waiting on TPB for DD anyway so I'm glad I wasn't vested in the monthly title thinking my monthly purchase would keep it going. Clearly Marvel doesn't care, they are going to relaunch again and again and again just to get the artificial sales bump from the suckers who still think #1 means "starting point". It really doesn't you fools and you aren't going to flip this #1 in 10 years for a downpayment on something. Just stop being suckers for #1's already.

*rant over, sorry*

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

You know, re-numbering has never, ever really bothered me. I guess what's inside the book is more important to me that the number on the outside,.

4. Guy Gardener

You never filled up a school text book with massive lists of everything you own in red biro, and everything you don't in black biro, wade into a convention, and still crawl out with 40 bucks worth of comics you already have back at home?

5. Turtletrekker

Nope.

6. Guy Gardener

I have over 60 thousand comics... How many you got?

7. Turtletrekker

I certainly don't have that many. Probably close to 10,000.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re-numbering and value have never been an issue to me since I've always collected comics to read them. So I guess that is partly why I haven't responded as negatively to the constant re-numbering and re-launches as others have.

9. Guy Gardener

It's really not the quantity, it's the time.

Remembering 60 thousand covers is easy, continuing to remember 60 thousand covers for 20 years without rebate is somewhat of a tax to my resources.

I'm not counting my digital comics.

I moved over to digital (exclusively) about 6 years ago, and that's probably doubled my collection, even though I don't really consider digital comics to be "real".

Does anyone else think that Kid Immortus is a piss-poor addition to the Kang Dynasty?

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really don't have a problem with renumbering. It does sense to do it as a way to let people know that the story and/or creative team is changing.

11. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Renumbering is a cheap attempt at a cash grab. They should just relaunch everything every January with new number ones and be done with it.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Battle of the Atom did indeed end with a whimper. For a second I thought they would be shocking and keep ALL the future characters around, but I guess it's notable they kept a few. As for the increasing game of musical chairs between Team Cyke and Team Wolvie... it's seriously losing its impact when people keep swapping back and forth like this.

Would have been nice if they had a good artist for the finale. Frank Cho's name is the on the cover but he didn't do the art...

INFINITY #5 had me greatly confused. The ending of the previous Avengers issue showed the Builder threat to be greater than ever with the robots going into Kill Everything mode. Yet in this issue they are apparently entirely defeated off-screen? What the hell? And suddenly the emphasis is shifting back to Earth. I enjoyed this series but I would not have done the two separate stories like this; both came off rushed and unfulfilled.

13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Battle of the Atom was a big disappointment. i wish they would end the Schism thing.

14. Guy Gardener

Hey Light!

You're supposed to be reading Avengers and New Avengers for the necessary tie ins that are required for the story to make sense... And then there's 4 or 5 other titles a month that are just set in the back ground as the invasion of New York happens which you can ignore as filler crap.

Thunderbolts has been delightful. They keep telling the Punisher that his crusade against random guido's shouldn't be important while the city is being bombarded from space... And she's saying "It's New York, this happens every other week, just keep your head down."

15. Turtletrekker

Yeah, I remember an interview with Hickman where he apologized in advance for not being able to fit the entire story in the main book.

Wow. BotA really stunk didn't it? Although, I liked the final epilogue...

...with Kitty and the O5 abandoning the JGS for new Xavier School. I remember when the Schism first happened, Scott telling Kitty that she was the one he was sorriest to lose. Wolverine's hypocracy in recent years has really made me despise him. Scott's smirk and Wolverine's anger were perfect. Looking forward to seeing Kitty over on Scott's side of the fence.

Looking forward to next week's Amazing X-Men and the return of Nightcrawler.

16. Guy Gardener

That exit came out of no where. It's almost like the editors demanded it after 3/4's of the book was already drawn, and the coupling that split because of that departure pisses me off since I really thought it was a deviantly fantastic pairing.

17. Turtletrekker

The four epilogues were by three different writers, each setting up the next stories in their books and there seemed to be very little cohesion. The first epilogue was by Aaron, wrapping up the battle. The second was by Wood, leading into the next issue of X-Men, the third by Aaron again setting up WatXM and next week's Amazing, with the final epilogue being written by Bendis, setting up the new status quo of All-New and Uncanny.

And no, despite Frank Cho's name being on the cover, he is not listed anywhere in the interior credits.

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

What a disappointment Battle of the Atom was. The start was promising and the concept was decent (apparently this was Jason Aaron's idea) but the execution and Bendis' writing was poor. I did like the epilogues though. Probably the best thing about this particular issue. I will be back to dropping All Meh and Uncanny again even with the upcoming Trial of Jean Grey crossover with Guardians.

I have liked aspects of the Schism...but yes feel that the time has come for reunification...but that probably won't happen for a while yet. Scott and Logan are still at each other's throats and there is just too much mistrust and a lack of communication going on right now between the two sides for any kind of reconciliation to happen. Maybe before "X-Men: Days of Future Past" comes out next year...but even that I see as unlikely.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I like the Schism and after AVSX it makes perfect sense for those two groups to be at war with each other.

I really don't buy Kitty defecting to Cyclops. That does not make sense to me at all. Am I forgetting some kind of lead-in to this throughout this unnecessarily long crossover? The Original Five I can begrudgingly go with because the only way to redeem Old Cyke is to be with him.

Guy, I am reading Infinity and Avengers and New Avengers and before a new issue comes out I re-read the previous issue the day before... and I still don't understand how the Builders went from being invincible and about to kill everyone to being defeated off-screen :lol: Hell, the "previously on" page of Infinity #5 shows the image of the Alephs going into Kill Everyone Mode!!!

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

All the other races were cowed by the Builder's show of force against the combined fleets of the Council. Thor killing one of the Builders showed them that they could fight back and they rose up against the Builders and the Alpehs. Captain Universe also neutralized the direct threat of the Builders themselves. It's all there in the books, Marvel even has a chart showing you how to read the crossover and they kept it simple too.