Ships of the Line 2!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by bfollowell, Apr 20, 2014.

1. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not to be a buzzkill or anything, but there isn't much reason for those of us who save all our old calendars to bother with this book, is there?

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I don't think the Okuda-written text passages about the images are present in the calendars.

4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And there are people who actually don't buy the calendars, so yeah.... Thing is, I was considering buying the first book. Gonna wait a bit now. :)

5. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

If you're one of those, then, yeah, maybe not. I don't think you get the background text that was included with most of the images in the original book though. Besides, as much as I love the images, I've never purchased a Ships of the Line calendar. I'm almost fifty years old and they don't quite go with our decor. I could put one in the garage but I don't spend all that much time out there that I'd get to see it very often so it would just be a waste of money for me. I can't be the only person out there that loves the ships and the art but isn't into wall calendars.

Personally speaking, I'd find it much easier, not to mention enjoyable, to pull down a nice hard-cover book off my shelf and thumb through it than to pull a bunch of old calendars from a box or wherever I have them stored.

To each his or her own. I hope it sells really well.

- Byron

6. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have the first book It's nice to see there's going to be another book with new pictures from the different series.:techman:

7. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well the book images don't have a great big fold right down the middle, which is nice, nor the actual calendar stuff, so you get to enjoy the image uninterrupted.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  8. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, will definitely be picking this one up. Own several (but not all) of the calendars, and the additional text-passages are a bonus.

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I've never considered buying a calendar and didn't know there was a book already.

I might go for this !

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

11. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ships of the Line 2.0 sounds like a winner to me.

Never bought a calendar as I don't use them.

But a collection of ship images sounds like a nice shelf book.

12. Tarheel

Tarheel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have never bought any of the calendars, but I did pick up the original hardcover a few years ago. A second volume has been high on my wish-list, but I didn't expect it to happen. So this is good news to me!

13. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I missed the first round of calendars and am looking forward to finally see all those images. Also, I like to rid of useless stuff - having a book featuring the pictures allows me to get rid of my old calendars.

Win-win!

14. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

I don't buy the calendars but I bought the last book, it is beautiful, looking forward to the updated volume!

15. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been getting all the Calendars but the book has been on my wish list as well for a while - so the 2.0 release will be it for me. Just in time for Christmas wish lists, score!

Mark

16. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

If I recall correctly, wasn't the original Ships of the Line (or at least one of the calendars) responsible for Destiny?

17. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Good point. :) We owe them quite a bit for that piece of inspiration.

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I'll certainly be buying the book. Nice to have tech manuals that don't come from Haynes

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not a tech manual, it's just the images that have appeared in the calendar with new accompanying text. It's an art book.