Should a New Star Trek show be willing to kill off major characters?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by The Overlord, Feb 15, 2014.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Re: Should a New Star Trek show be willing to kill off major character

Perhaps one of the issues with TV is that some people might tune into a show because of a certain character they like, and if you kill them off you could potentially loose audiance, so perhaps that is why they play it safe. Of coure in some shows, anyone can die so why does it work for some shows and not for others?

2. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Reminds me of what I said about Trip Tucker dying-everybody hated that, but wouldn't have cared if it were somebody like Mayweather.:vulcan:

3. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't mind Trip Tucker dying one bit.:p

4. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Correct me if I'm wrong, Greg (may I call you Greg?), but in the original script, didn't Kirk end up destroying all life on the planet? :eek:

That is a great question!

5. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would say, on the whole, what you're describing is the way tv studios USED to look at the issue. Whereas now, most shows (not counting those that have almost no potential for danger in the first place) have swung completely in the opposite direction with the idea that killing people off is not only acceptable, but maybe even necessary sometimes.

As for why it might work more for some shows than others (and it certainly is not something that every show ever should be doing), that's simple: some shows are very much about death and danger. How could anyone take the Walking Dead seriously if none of the main characters ever died? Lamest apocalypse ever. Who would really be invested in Game of Thrones if the stakes only really amounted to 'You win or maybe you get randomly exiled to some little fortress somewhere so that you can return triumphantly a few episodes later'?

Ultimately, the possibility of death should be real in any story that involves high risk (including space travel, ie, star trek). But it should only ever become reality when it truly drives the story forward - not just because someone thinks killing characters is the only way to keep people invested in the narrative. For shows like GOT or WD, death IS a major part of what the story is about, and therefore it must be present almost all the time. For star trek, the story has other things that should be focused on, at least most of the time.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Feel free. We're all Trekkies here.

To answer your question, I don't know. I'm not familiar with the original script. I can't remember: how many survivors were there by the time the Enterprise showed up?

I vaguely recall some concern about blinding everybody on the planet, but they got around it.

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

^ In the Blish adaptation, the Enterprise voyages to the parasite's home world and destroyed it, as I recall this would have killed all the parasites in the galaxy (they had a form of "collective") and it would have also freed those being controlled.

Whether this is from a early script, or something Blish basically just made up I can't say. Blish apparently work frequently from early scripts, even though with his later adaptations the show had been on the air for years.

:)

8. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The better question for this thread might be: "Would another failed STAR TREK series kill the franchise?"

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Nope.

TOS failed and we're still here. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier failed and we're still here. Enterprise failed and we're still here. Star Trek: Nemesis failed and we're still here.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Four seasons and nearly a hundred episodes is a failure?

:)

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Less than two million viewers a week when it went off the air, a drastically slashed budget and the only reason it got the fourth-season was because they needed more episodes for syndication.

If it wasn't a 'Star Trek' series and on a mini-network, it would have been cancelled after season two. So yeah, from a numbers perspective, it was a failure. If CBS had it to do over, they likely wouldn't have made the fourth-season since there is no syndication market for it.

12. Greg Cox

Relevant to the discussion:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/06/8-...og_blogpost&utm_campaign=tor.commediacoverage

Not sure I buy the inclusion of Fantastic Voyage, since that movie's whole plot is kicked off by an assassination attempt, there's another attempted assassination during the voyage, and the bad guy dies horribly, but it's an interesting look at sci-fi movies that worked without killing anyone.

13. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, all that really means is we have a high tolerance for shit.

Or we're gluttons for punishment.

Take your pick.:bolian:

14. RainKing

RainKing Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think writers have more courage than television executives. In fact, I think my cat has more courage than your average tv executive. Most of the deaths in Walking Dead and Game of Thrones were penned long before they were seen on television. They also both have significantly larger-than-average ensemble casts.
    As far as House of Cards goes, I think the main character proved early on that any person who opposes him with any kind of tenacity is pretty much marked for death. I can't think of a death on that show which surprised me.

In fact **spoiler alert**

I don't know what this says about me, but when Frank pushed whatsherface in front of the subway car, I actually cheered. :devil:

As far as there being no chance of any new Star Trek tv show for a long, long time... I know that very few people would have guessed Han Solo and Luke Skywalker would ever appear on the big screen again just a couple of years ago.

When Star Trek returns to television, it will likely happen just as quickly.

15. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Yes, I think the certainty of some posters' predictions is ill-informed considering that we live in a media environment where it seems all that ever happens is the constant rebooting and extending of existing franchises. Trek is not done on TV yet. Nobody can say when or what form it will take, but it will be back.

My money says it will come back animated, since that hasn't been done to death for Trek.

16. Greg Cox

I'm actually amazed that there's only been one Trek cartoon series to date. I mean, how many X-Men or Batman animated sries have there been?

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Not sure I buy Back to the Future being on the list, either. The movie opens with Doc being murdered, and although Marty's letter reverses that, what are we supposed to believe happened to the Libyans in the end?

18. Pupp

Pupp Ensign Newbie

I'd say yes. They shouldn't be killing them too often, and their death should be a huge plot point in the overall series.

Sadly, more often than not, characters are killed in series because they're not popular, or the writers feel they don't fit in the direction they want to take the show, and that the fans won't really miss the character anyway. Although occasionally the writers decide to kill off a character because they feel they're trapped in a story line. Not a major story line, but a back story style.
    CSI (original in Las Vegas), got rid of several character, not all by killing them, because they felt then needed a fresh face, and the back story on the character was getting stale.

I suppose if they want to kill off major characters, they have 2 choices: killing them very sparingly.. maybe 3 in a 7 season run.. or they can get rid of say, 1 major character each season. That would pave the way for fresh story lines each season.
    I mean killing off a character or some other reason in a way that would prevent them from coming back to future episodes, other than at most flashbacks or guest appearances.

:borg:

19. BuckBokai

BuckBokai Lieutenant Red Shirt

I feel like you cant set out in a show to say, I'm going to kill 2 major characters over the next whatever amount of seasons. However, in the writing of the show, if there's a story where killing a major character feels like the right way to go then you can start to consider it. Its important though to think about where you go from there. The death of a main character leaves a void, and that can make for interesting tv but where do you go from there. I think if a new trek series ever got made, they would need to raise the stakes in some way. Voyager killed some senior staff off right away but no one you get to know. How great would a series be where the premiere ended with the death of the captain in deep space. Obviously the plan all along then would be for the series to focus on the first officer moving to captain and I think that would draw some interest. I suppose odds of a new show are slim and if it happens who knows what form it would take, but I personally think following an untested captain (who maybe the crew doesn't have complete faith in at first) would make for a very cool premise.

20. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Imagine if TOS killed off McCoy or Spock? We wouldn't have had the same dynamic that we got from the trio. The combination of logic, emotion, and heart. Part of what makes Star Trek appealing is the characters. It could screw up the dynamics if you start killing too many of them off.

Killing off Spock in TWOK did develop Kirk's character in TSFS, but it was all undone and reset at the end of the latter movie. And killing off Jadzia did develop all the other characters on DS9, especially Worf. If a death helps with the story, its okay, but i don't think they should be killing off characters willy nilly just for the sake of it