Bryan Fuller making Hannibal Lecter series!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Temis the Vorta, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Serial killers are the big thing this year, it seems. Dexter, what have you started? :wtf:

They're going to have to really hustle to beat the casting of that other serial killer show at (I think?) NBC - Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy! :eek:

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Hannibal is really going to need a big name actor to play the role if it and Fox's serial killer drama with Kevin Bacon have to compete with each other.

3. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Brian Cox isn't too old, Brian Cox isn't too old, Brian Cox isn't too old... #wishfulthinking

4. Temis the Vorta

Get Wentworth Miller to hit the gym and shape up for the part. ;)

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ He previously played a young Anthony Hopkins in The Human Stain.

6. Temis the Vorta

Yeah that's why I'm touting him. Although honestly, he doesn't look that much like Hopkins. I just think he'd make an awesome villain! :D

7. Captaindemotion

I'd prefer that their Lecter was more like Brian Cox or was a new take on the character.

I like Miller but I think he's too young to be Lecter in this time frame. Maybe the young Will Graham?

8. Temis the Vorta

Miller is 40 - how old is Lecter supposed to be in this series?

9. Enterprise is Great

The description sounds like Will Graham is using Lecter as a consultant so it's before he finds out he's a serial killer. An actor in his 40's seems appropriate. Lecter was in his 50's in Silence of the Lambs i think. And that's years after his capture.

10. Captaindemotion

I don't know what age Hannibal is meant to be in this series. If they follow the books or movies (which they probably won't), he was born in the 1930s and would have been jailed in the early 1980s.

He may be 40 but Miller is a very youthful looking man. I'm not sure that he'd be credible as someone in their 40s, carrying all the baggage from Hannibal's youth. But who knows?

11. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A bromance where one of the bros keeps making a fool of the other one is certainly a novelty. What else can this be about except Lecter killing people under Graham's nose? Anything else is bait and switch, but this is such a godawful idea it's hard to see what else Fuller can do.

12. Temis the Vorta

That he is, but actors tend to be youthful looking - it's a career necessity (and who knows how much of it is thanks to the makeup department?)

I'd guess they have the character be in his early 40s at the oldest because after all, the advertiser target market is 18-49, and we don't want some sexy old codger to be attracting any lustful grannies who aren't in the market for the new Dodge Challenger, do we? ;) Much older than that, and we're encroaching on Anthony Hopkins' age in the original movie.

I googled up some recent Wenty Miller pix - oh look, he's in a crappy movie, I may have to check that out! :rommie: - and the boy does seem to be aging rather gracefully. But isn't 40 the new 25 or is that merely wishful thinking?

13. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

The guy is still in his 30's and we're talking about aging gracefully?!? Yikes.

14. Captaindemotion

I wholeheartedly agree. Of course, I hit the big 4-0 last month. ;)

15. Temis the Vorta

And you're just as lovely as ever! :bolian: Although those dead black eyes do bother me a bit...

16. Captaindemotion

^ I'm auditioning for the role of Hannibal...

17. Enterprise is Great

18. Captaindemotion

Interesting choice. He looks a bit like a conventional pretty boy but he's actually been excellent in a recurring guest role in The Big C.

AICN is saying that the casting of Lecter will be announced any minute now.

19. Temis the Vorta

I still don't see how NBC is going to be able to make a cannibal serial killer show under the FCC's thumb that isn't fatally constrained in what the audience expects from the premise.

I have a feeling this will be a replay of The Playboy Club, which didn't work because broadcast can't really show much sex. Why choose a topic that plays to the weakness of broadcast?

20. Captaindemotion

One fairly inconsequential thing which occurs to me is that Lecter has been played on the big screen by two distinguished Brit actors (Scotsman Brian Cox and the Welsh Anthony Hopkins - let's draw a veil over that Gaspard Whatshisname). I wonder if, having cast a Brit as Graham, they'll feel obliged to get an American as Lecter. Admittedly, Dancy does a good enough American accent to fool most, but still.