So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. GalaxyClass1701

GalaxyClass1701 Captain Captain

Just started reading New Frontier.

2. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Just finished Worlds of DS9: Bajor. I really enjoyed it and thought it was well written. I really grooved to J. Noah Kym's style, but the story ends up reading like a large prologue to a deeper storyline that seems to be part of the "missing" period of the DS9-R.

I also read Kira's Story from Tales from the Captain's Table which I absolutely hated. I rather enjoyed the Chakotay story, and it seemed like the Kira story was going there as well: "What made Kira leadership material?" But in fact we get basically a redo of "Wrongs Darker..." It's a shame, as I really liked Heather Jaarman's other DS9 stories.

Now onto A Time to Love/Hate and then the Short Story from Sky's The Limit set after then and IDW's Alien Spotlight: Borg before jumping back to Worlds of DS9 3.

Also: J. Noah Kym? Pseudonym? Recluse? Unsolved mystery?

3. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Heat Rises last night. It's really good, the best in the series so far, looking forward to the next one, Frozen Heat, when it comes out.

I'm about to start Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations: Forgotten History.

4. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

I've just finished The Voyage Home novelization. 9/10 for all of he extra moments not seen in the film.

Now I'm taking a break from Star Trek and reading Star Wars: The Old Republic: Deceived in paperback. It's SO MUCH better than that dreadful TOR: Fatal Alliance.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  5. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Re-reading the Star Trek Voyager book "The Garden" by Melissa Scott. A very good book!

Before that I read a biography about Pink Floyd.

6. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Read DS9: The Heart of the Warrior by John Gregory Betancourt over the last few days. Damn, that book wasn't good at all. The plots appeared to be not really thought through, sloppy writing and editing, and the less I say about the characterizations the better.

7. wahwahkits

wahwahkits Commander Red Shirt

England, somewhere between Liverpool and Chester
    Spock: Messiah!

8. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Started and finished both Plagues of Night and forgotten History in a matter of a few days. Just gonna read some comics until Raise the Dawn ships...

9. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Just finished Forgotten History, absolutely loved it! My current read is now Star Wars: Medstar I: Battle Surgeons. Waiting on deck is Rand Unwrapped: Confessions of a Robotech Warrior by Frank Catalano.

10. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Finished TOR: Deceived. In a word: wow. It was brilliant!

Now, I'm skipping very far ahead into my ST novel read-through and staring on Plagues Of Night. (Then, it's back to chronological order.)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  11. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished my re-read of The Martian Chronicles on Friday night. I wrote a small review of it here. (Warning: contains much gushing over a much-beloved book.)

I'm going to finish up the stories in The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Vol. 1 before going on to Wuthering Heights.

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spider-Man: Inside the World of Your Friendly Neighborhood Hero by DK Publishing.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Death of Kings by Bernard Cornwell

2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson.

Just finished the City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke

14. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I finished Calling on Dragons the other day. The third in the series, they're still cute, but this one wasn't quite as engaging as the first two because it pulled away from Cimorene as the main character. She's still involved, just not the focus, and that took away some of the appeal. I started the last one, Talking to Dragons, yesterday. It is focusing on Cimorene's son. So far, it's got the same charm as the others. We'll see how it turns out. :)

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished reading ST Mirror Universe: Rise Like Lions. I'll post my thoughts in the review thread.

16. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

In the past week or so, I've finished both books in The Romulan War duology and am now reading the first book in DS9's Millennium Trilogy, The Fall of Terok Nor, which I'm enjoying quite a bit (the Reeves-Stevenses aren't my favorite Trek Lit authors, but they're not horrible).

17. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Android's Dream by John Scalzi. My fourth foray into the world of Scalzi after Old Man's War, Fuzzy Nation, and Redshirts.

18. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

finished Vanguard: Open Secrets last night, about to start on Precipice as part of my continuing re-read. iirc, this is actually only my 2nd time reading Precipice...

19. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finishing The Dark Tower, Stephen King. Will be reading the new Starfist book as well as Star Trek Next Gen: Rogue Saucer next. Also a well reviewed zombie apocalypse novel called Zone One.

20. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I'm currently reading a 2000AD collection called Hondo City Law. My exposure to the Judge Dredd universe is limited, but i'm really enjoying this collection. It features work by the likes of Robbie Morrison, John Wagner, Colin MacNeil, Frank Quitely, Neil Googe and Andy Clarke