VOY: Protectors by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Jan 19, 2014.

?

Rate Protectors.

1. Outstanding

36 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Above Average

46 vote(s)
    51.1%
  3. Average

8 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Was already there, part of what Tom tells Harry in the first episode. As Kirsten said, they're the same character for all intents and purposes, but they'd have had to pay royalties to the writer of the Locarno episode every time they used him, so much cheaper/easier to create Tom and give him a very familiar backstory instead...

2. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

*bows* I think there is a kind of joy in the sort of synergy that results in unintended but clear and palpable themes in story telling. It's almost as if Story is using you as its instrument.

As for O'Donnel I have to admit that I didn't even think of it until this book. I'm not sure what it is about him but I suddenly got to musing at how funny it would be if Shannon O'Donnel had a brother who had a family and that in time one of his descendants ended up in Starfleet as well. And what with the third world war and post atomic horror and all it would be more than likely that the two branches might not really know anything about each other.

As regards Fife, I never in a trillion years would have made the guess based on the name alone, but then that description and it clicked. Plus I'm a bit more Knottsaware than most since I spent years living near and working in Morgantown West Virginia where Knotts was from. He was much beloved and while he was living and his health permitted came back to visit often.

That is most wonderful news. Congratulations. Now that you are done basking get back to work. I needs my Voyager! ;)

3. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Well happy fu&*ing congratulations! It is so well deserved!

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Congratulations Kirsten. Your latest Voyager novel is a fantastic story!:techman:

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't remember that conversation?

6. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

During the pilot, Caretaker, right after Tom and Harry check in with Voyager's CMO, they end up in the mess hall where Tom orders "hot plain tomato soup". He then sits with Harry after the XO and CMO warn Harry not to be friends with Tom. They get up, Tom sits down and goes over his back story. He talked about how officers were killed by pilot error he caused and he talked about how he covered it up but then couldn't deal with hiding the truth so he confessed.

7. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

^An accident on Caldik Prime. He covered it up, but the ghosts of those three cadets returned to teach him the true meaning of Christmas (his joke, not mine)

My thoughts on Protectors:

Very engaging as always; genuinely character-driven, and more than ever the series needs to be, given what the characters have been through lately. After reading The Fall, the concluding novel of which went out of its way to finalise the set-up for transition back to a gentler, more stable Trek 'verse, this was a return to the aftermath of Destiny, when the cultural wound the Federation suffered is still raw. There's much uncertainty, lots of confusion, and a great deal of free-floating grief. Very astute and interesting observations are made here that show us a real appreciation for how the wider culture of the UFP has been changed and marked by these events. For example, commenting on Farkas' bluntness, Chakotay deciding that people are more frank now; they have less use or time for pointless niceties. There’s two traumas that are central to this book, then; Janeway’s own incredible ordeal and the wider cultural trauma she’s managed to miss (and which some will hold her partially responsible for, no less). It's similar to the original tension between the Voyager crewmen who were on the journey those seven years and those who fought the Dominion War, as seen in Spirit Walk. Cambridge insisting that Janeway has to work this through, to set aside the time to deal with it or it will cripple her in the long run, is quite appropriate, and I'm glad the consequences to Janeway's sense of identity are being explored in full. A few reviewers have suggested there’s a little too much angst or emotional turmoil in the book, but it feels entirely appropriate and natural for me, given the time in which the story is set.

I loved that Janeway’s mother was given the attention she deserves. Family is very important to me, and it was great to see that Sisko isn't the only captain who retains a close relationship with a parent. Beyer does this sort of thing a lot, of course – it was her String Theory book that was the first, as I recall, to pay attention to the fact that Janeway has a sister.

I particularly enjoyed the wonderfully-written scenes between Janeway and Picard. Both characters had a warmth and a richness to them that really did Beyer proud. Also, I must say that Picard shaking his fist skywards at Q (so to speak) was hilarious - in the best possible way. Speaking of Q, I mentioned back in my Eternal Tide review that a highlight of that book was how it developed and detailed the reciprocal mentorship and philosophical coaxing that came to define the relationship between Humanity and the Q Continuum. A counterpart or balance to Q and A, in which humans 'return the favour', confirming that Q and humans are allies, even friends. The Janeway/Picard conversation really reinforced that notion, and was a wonderful coda to the Q-human relationship. I actually hope that Q doesn’t show up that often anymore – this was a very satisfying and appropriate place to leave his story.

The Worlds of the First Quadrant seem an interesting addition to the Trek 'verse, and I like that the Full Circle fleet now potentially has a home base in the Delta Quadrant. The backstory for the region is a rich one, and I appreciate how they’re introduced at the tail end of a scientific expedition, rather than having Voyager drop out of warp and there they are. Much as I like the political side of the Trek novels, we do need some variety, and Beyer's good at the "wonders and dangers of space" approach, with emphasis pleasingly on the former but the latter well respected. As it should be. And alongside this new alliance – which, as Markonian so rightly says, reminds me of the Goeg Domain in its flavour (and of the Venette Convention in its insular policies) – we have the Delta Quadrant’s own Typhon Pact as well, it seems. The Vaadwaur and Turei have worked something out and have teamed up with the Devore. Well, it’s about time that “I’m sure we haven’t seen the last of them” was confirmed for the Vaadwaur, isn't it?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  8. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

How about this line: "the ghosts of those three dead officers came to me in the middle of the night and taught me the true meaning of Christmas."

That's what he told Harry in Caretaker when asked why he confessed, when it appeared he could have gotten away with it. or at least the official story was navigational error, and then Paris turned himself in later on.

Either way, yeah, right from the pilot episode. Wasn't exactly Locarno, but close enough to not be much different. This one had Paris out of the academy and on an early assignment vice the academy showoff manuever, but same idea...

9. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I kind of love the mental image of you introducing yourself this way at parties.

10. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Congrats Kirsten!

11. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

We really need to have an Challenge of Awesome Writing between Kirsten and David Mack. :rommie:

12. dispatcher812

dispatcher812 Commander Red Shirt

I am about 3/4 of the way through and so far a good read. In what book or books did Janeway encounter all those other selves and in what book did she meet Dr Frazier? For the life of me I can not remember.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Congrats on making the NYT List Kirsten!

14. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

Riley Frazier and other ex-Borgs (and their damaged cube ship) were shown in the 3rd season Voyager episode "Unity". What was left of that group also appeared in previous Voy. book The Eternal Tide (but KJ didn't meet them then; Chakotay, Seven, and other members of the DQ fleet did).

15. Reanok

:techman:I finished this book last night. Very interesting story. The first worlds planetary alliance was an intriguing story line that I hope will be explored further in the next book coming out later this year:).

16. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haven't listened to it yet, but the interview is now online:

http://trek.fm/literary-treks/literary-treks-49-deconstructing-kathy.html

Re: Protectors

I finished it yesterday and I'm about to start writing the review, but it's kind of hard to judge. On the one hand it definitely isn't on par with Children of the Storm (the high point of the Voyager relaunch IMO), on the other hand it's better than I feared after Janeway's resurrection (although that could be because Janeway is separated from the rest of the fleet for most of the novel, as in my opinion writing Janeway and Chakotay together is Kirsten's one big weakness).

Still haven't decided if I will give it an average or above average on the poll.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  17. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Congrats Kristen on being a NY Times Best Selling Author:bolian: I finished the book today and voted above average. Looking forward to the next book.

18. Goentoer

Goentoer Ensign Newbie

why don't the fleet go straight to the 37's planet? They can definitely built homebase there with the help of more than 150k humans as potential resources :)

and, the only bad boys there are the Kazons, who were not worthy of Borg Assimilation :)

19. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's way too far away. It makes no sense to make the homebase there, when the Talaxian asteroid where Neelix lives is so much closer, not to mention the chain of relays required to communicate with Starfleet would have to go through thousands of lightyears of hostile territory.

20. Reanok

Listening to the LiterarayTreks podcast now with Kirsten Beyer great discussion about Protector and her upcoming Voyager books.:)