Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually was thinking that Simmons was going to be "Doyled" and be a regular character killed off very early on in the series for an impact. The interaction between Fitz & Simmons is really cute, but ultimately both characters kind of fill the same role.

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I get more a surrogate sibling relationship vibe from FitzSimmons that a romantic one.

Tune in two weeks from now, True Believer!

3. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if they will play with the thought that the virus and cure somehow changed Jemma, and that she may develop some electromagnetic ability? SHIELD would want to keep her under wraps, but Coulson would rather protect his little family.

4. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

This was the tipping-point episode - the first really excellent one that should, IF they keep up this quality, make the show worthwhile.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doyled, :) Yeah, I thought the same.

6. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do Nerd and Nerdette really get personalities in this? Or do they just get lines?

Do either or both do anything that's about what they personally want? Or do they just do whatever is needed to carry out the mission?

7. The Old Mixer

I would say that Fitz's moment of deliberately exposing himself on the chance of being able to save his friend is more than just doing what the mission requires. Likewise Simmons willingly sacrificing herself. Did you watch it?

8. stj

^^^No I haven't watched it. I was looking in the thread for comments about the expected Thor reference, since I was planning to watch that Friday. Then I see comments about character development for two characters who haven't had any.
    The questions were meant to help decide whether it would be worth the time going to Hulu. So, thanks for the answers.

9. The Old Mixer

Ah...well, it's worth checking out, I'd say.

The Thor crossover episode is supposed to be in two weeks (the 19th).

10. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personality development for both Fitz and Simmons.

Also, good on the Coulson front.

11. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Then why make it a big, secret deal?

If they used Asgard tech, some healing magic or anything else to resuscitate Coulson why keep it a secret from him?

Fury could make a cool one liner aka "You're welcome Phil!" when Coulson woke up. However the way they're dealing with it means it's either something Coulson would totally disapprove or it only works because Coulson is unaware (if he is a LMD that's imprinted with Coulson's memories and character).

It has to be something really fucked up for them to make it one of the main mysteries of at least season one and i hope it will blow everyone away once it's revealed and not something like a simple high tech box that heals the body.

As to the episode:

Pretty good.. even though we know little about Fitzsimmons (i love how no one seems to separate their names to give them distiinction.. it's like they are joined twins or something :lol:) i was still engaged in her struggle to save her life and by extension the life of her entire team.
    Fitz' desperation was also very believable to me and played quite well.

That's the second time in a row where Coulson makes the hard choice.. almost any other show would have the characters go into overdrive and come up with a last minute solution to save Mr. Nobody of the Week's life. Here Coulson realizes that he can't help him (the same as with the dude last week who was too far gone to be saved) and evacuates.. sometimes there is nothing you can do and you have to accept it no matter how foul that may taste.

I think that came off very well and puts Shield a bit besides the usual shows.. people die, sometimes horribly and you can't save them all and sometimes you have to make a hard choice to save more people than you let die.. awful mathematics.

I hope they keep this aspect in the show.. you can't win all the time.

The show is improving episode by episode and i'm very happy about that and now i'm confident that once sweeps and the season finale come around it will spectacular (at least i hope so).

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Or, as I said, we're being misled into assuming that the secret is about the method of his resurrection, and it's really about something different that happened during his recuperation after being brought back to life through entirely conventional means.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or... Last weeks episode resolved everything, and it will never be mentioned again because it's all sewn off.

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Personality, although I would argue their personalities have been starting to be seen for a couple weeks now. Yes to your last question.

15. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

Sorry, but did Coulson just talk a guy into killing himself?
    dJE

16. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

No, he talked a guy into not panicking about his fate. He was doomed to die from the virus, as no one had developed a vaccine/anti-serum yet. And they only had minutes before he was going to die, anyway.

17. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

I don't know. Data's "mother" was made to fool scanners to think she was a human. ;)

18. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

The whole point of a LMD is to fool scanners.

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

It has to actually *be* Coulson, somehow. Otherwise, the show has no heart (No pun intended).

20. stj

Coulson is cool without being an asshole. (Or at least he was, but the body count he's absent-mindedly racking up is kind of unpleasant.) But I'm not interested in any song-and-dance about why he's still alive, and I can't imagine any reason for him not to know that doesn't mean in some sense he isn't Coulson.

Since Coulson is the only strong character on the show, undermining him makes the show less interesting. Which is why the other faults are grating on me so badly and why I'm so lacksadaisical about catching more episodes.