‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love Sucker Punch and thought Man of Steel was good despite its needlessly grim, serious approach. Am cautiously optimistic about the Batman and Superman film, although I doubt it'll be as good as the Adam West film, the Burton films, or the first 2 Nolan films.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

In fairness to Affleck, I've just looked at his IMDB page and he's taken lower billing in a few movies - State of Play, Shakespeare in Love, Chasing Aces, Hollywoodland and others. So I don't think he'll be egotistical about wanting top billing in what still seems to be a superman sequel.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

In Superman: The Movie, Christopher Reeve had third billing after Brando and Hackman.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yes, I know. I was only talking about MOS2.

I'm pretty surprised Russell Crowe wasn't the first billed in MOS since he was obviously the biggest star. Although, I guess he was happy with the "and" credit, which is considered nearly equal to first billing.

5. Christopher

Well, what I was going for is that billing isn't really about importance to the story, it's about how much you get paid and how good your agent is. It's a business matter and not something the audience should read too much into. If an actor is visibly the most important character in the movie, they'll be remembered as the star no matter where their name falls in the credits.

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

This is well and truly reading the tea leaves.

So they should buy expensive tickets to loooong films no matter how bad the reviews are and how uninterested they are in the basic material? :rolleyes:

7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

It came from some guy who wrote an ebook: http://www.businessinsider.com/christian-bale-offered-50-million-to-return-as-batman-2013-8 so it was total bullshit.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It was a rumor. Bale's time as Batman is over.

9. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Let's all not forget that this is Man of Steel 2. It's Cavill's movie. Affleck will be in a supporting role. They likely won't share equal billing until Justice League.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Its not called Man of Steel 2. The logo has both symbol.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I would definitely love for that to be the case, but everything said at Comic Con strongly suggests that this is going to be more of a "Versus" movie than a MOS sequel.

12. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course not. :cool:

My distaste is with those who 'review' films without actually seeing them. There's a big difference between saying a movie 'was shit' or 'looks like shit.' I routinely point this out when someone is lambasting a film, only to find out that they actually only saw the first half hour of it.... I'd rather have a complete opinion than one built on speculation and projection.

Yes, this surprised me... it means Bats will be enjoying lots of screen time.
    It's also worth mentioning that it's "vs" and not "and," on IMDB and Wikipedia, for whatever that's worth.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  13. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Two things: the logo was whipped up for Comic Con, and the movie doesn't even have an official name yet. No "and" or "vs". Plus factor in the presence of Lois Lane, Perry White, Martha Kent, and most likely Lex Luthor. It's Man of Steel 2, if not in title then in purpose.

14. davejames

Interesting article on the casting:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/why-ben-affleck-said-yes-613658

I have to admit, just the fact Affleck is a big comic book fan-- and is willing to take a risk like this even after years of working very hard to restore his reputation and become a serious and respected director-- kinda makes me want to root for him in the role even more.

15. Dr.H

Dr.H Lieutenant Red Shirt

Cranston is great actor, but Luthor at least in this version needs to be closer to Clark's age so they it could have weight to their rivalry. They have to be equal in age, which is why Corey Stoll is the best choice for this part IMO.

But man if this film is gonna work you have to get rid of Goyer and Snyder and get like an Alfonso Cauron as well as get a comic writer like Mark Waid to write the screenplay. That's a winning combination! Nothing against Goyer and Snyder, but we need fresh creative blood. I mean, Goyer is rebooting a character he's even worked on for three whole films. With Goyer I really feel he should only be rendered to just crafting the story and let more talented screenwriters execute them.

16. Christopher

Why do they "have to be" anything? There's no single correct way to approach Superman or Lex Luthor. Sure, if you want to do the particular version of the story where they were childhood friends in Smallville, then it makes sense for them to be close in age -- though it's worth noting that Smallville's Lex was portrayed as about 7 years older than Clark. But there have been a number of successful versions of Superman in which Lex has already been an older, established businessman (or supercriminal, in earlier versions) at the time Clark begins his career as Superman -- for instance, the post-Crisis comics continuity and Superman: The Animated Series.

Besides, we've already seen a Lexcorp logo on some trucks in Man of Steel, which seems to confirm that they are indeed going that route. So casting an older actor as Lex is necessary to be consistent with what they've already done (unless they wanted to copy Smallville and use Lionel Luthor, which is unlikely).

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

If Corey Stoll played Lex, then it would make watching House of Cards - where he plays a politician being pushed around by Kevin Spacey's chief whip - interesting. Lex v Lex!

18. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Perhaps Affleck will get one of those credits that pops up last but says something like "And also starring Ben Affleck as Batman."

19. Christopher

^Given movie credit styles, it'd more likely just be "And Ben Affleck." And then in the full cast list in the end titles it would say "Ben Affleck.....Bruce Wayne/Batman." Or maybe just "Bruce Wayne," given that Cavill's onscreen billing in MoS was "Clark Kent/Kal-El." (Bale was credited as "Bruce Wayne/Batman" in Batman Begins, but solely as "Bruce Wayne" in the other two films.)

20. davejames

I have no problem with Snyder or Goyer, but I DO wish Nolan was still involved as a producer. Even if he only had a peripheral role on the first movie, you could still really feel his mature, steadying influence on both Snyder and the storytelling.

Hopefully Snyder can maintain that same style on his own, and won't feel tempted to return to his old ways. I'd hate to have another situation like the TF movies, where the first one was full of that great Spielberg style and magic (and had a story you could follow), and the sequels were nothing but a couple of typical, mindless Michael Bay action-fests.