My change of heart Re: Nu Enterprise- anyone agree?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Chrisisall, May 12, 2010.

1. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

I fully accept the Nu E as being equal to the MP Refit E.
    I never hated it as some did, in fact I kinda liked it from the start. But it has grown on me like a Denibian fungus.
    If only Diamond Select could do a good Nu E!!!

Still, the Original one is best IMO.

Opinions?

2. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

I respect your opinion, and I realize that a lot of people like it, and that's fine, but I absolutely loathe that bloated kitbash. I hate the Abramsprise with a passion the likes of which the known universe has never seen, nor will ever see again. There is no word in the Englinsh, or any other language ever conceived that can adequately convey the depth of my hatred and disgust of that ugly, disproportionate caracature of Matt Jeffries' eleganty beautiful starship. And that's all I have to say on the subject.

3. Chrisisall

Okay, noted. But as an aside, do you like the Original series one better, or the MP Refit? Just curious.

I *love* the Original, and if I'd had my way, it would NEVER have been radically changed, save for the hull texture the Remastered series lent to it. Yeah, a few minor things could have been subtly re-worked, but the Refit went too far, IMO. I *love* the clean lines of the OS E!

4. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

The new Enterprise is still my favorite, a full year after its debut. IMO, it is my childhood Enterprise with more muscle and improved lines.

5. Chrisisall

I can agree to a point, yet the Original, with its clean lines & multi-coloured nacelle heads is still MY favourite.
    But yeah, the new one sure is shiny!

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

A year later and it still feels wrong...

I think they were close, just needed to work on the proportions and spacing of the nacelles.

7. Chrisisall

I would have spaced them in closer lines with the originals myself, yes. Everything else is okay with me IMO.

8. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

I like the original the best. The refit is awesome, but like you said, they went too far with the redesign. It didn't look like a "natural" evolution of the original design. I still like it, though. But the Abramsprise, no. I can't get past the strange proportions or the extra "greebles" that just look out of place. It looks like a kitbash of the TMP saucer with "alien ship of the week" parts slapped on for good measure. Matt Jeffries' original design was clean, simple, elegant, and perfectly proportioned. All it needed was some more surface texturing and more detail. Look up Deg3d and Vektor for absolutely brilliant interpretations of the original. Both are on this forum.

9. Chrisisall

[​IMG]

Yeah, baby!!!

10. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

I like both It is sexy now the Abramsprise sorry

11. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doesn't everyone like all of the "It's a completely different ship than from TOS or the movies." that we hear from JJ and Co. And then the art book comes out and there's a diagram of the refit-E with some changes doodled on it.
    I wonder if you can interchange the primary hulls from a nuEnterprise model and a refit-Enterprise model. If you can; can you tell the difference.

12. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not that I'm a huge fan of the design, but after seeing the nuEnterprise for so long now the old Enterprise is starting to look weird.

13. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What if you made an exact 1:1 scale copy of the original filming model in the NASM and super-detailed it for movies? Somebody restored a photograph of the innards of the nacelle caps and is on a previously mentioned website somewhere. So a accurate LED version could be done. We could see previously unseen details such as escape pod covers and flush-mounted RCS thrusters and hatches.

14. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

This thread http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=58313&highlight=vektor shows what Vektor has done with the TOS Enterprise. I think it is one of the best "updates" of the original design that I have seen. IMO, this ship would have looked fabulous on the big screen. Something like this was what I was actually expecting to see in STXI. What I saw was, well, disappointing to say the least.

And this one http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=102361&highlight=deg3d is from Deg3d. I love them both. I'm sort of torn between these. They are both absolutely amazing. Deg's is the more "faithful" of the two, but Vektor's is more modernized. I'll just say that either would have worked just fine. I love 'em both!

15. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

For me, I simply regarded the nuEnterprise as being the product of an alternate universe where designs took a similar, but ultimately different path than they did in the prime universe. The nuEnterprise is flashier, more elaborate, and has a lot more "bling," but ultimately it really didn't do anything than the original Enterprise couldn't do, IMO. I imagine that the original Enterprise would have fared the same way against the Narada.

Personally, I like both designs and think they each fit perfectly for the different eras/universes they were made for. I may be in the minority, but I'm not knocking either design. I'll take 'em both.

16. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

I really wish I could accept the Fuglyprise. But I just can't. I have nothing against anyone who thinks it's cool. There's nothing wrong with that. As with any aesthetic, it is a matter of personal opinion. My opinion is that the Fuglyprise is absoultely revolting. It's a horrible design that doesn't pay homage to, but rather makes fun of the original. It's as if Mr. Church took every angle and line from Matt Jeffries' original and exaggerated it to the point of caracature. Case in point: those Dolly Parton-size nacelles. The original had an ever-so-slight taper from the bussards to the end caps. It was barely noticeable. On the Abramsprise, that taper is wildly exaggerated, making the nacelles look more like cones than cylinders, and simply looks reduculous when compared to the original. The secondary hull is another example. On the original ship, the secondary hull also has a taper from front to rear, only slightly more pronounced. On the Abramsprise, Mr. Jeffries' elegantly tapered hull design has again been wildly exaggerated until it looks more like a partially squeezed tube of toothpaste than a starship hull. Then there's the saucer. Upon first glance, it resembles the saucer from the TMP refit, without the concave underside. Even the size and placement of the windows are the same. And compared to the rest of the ship, the saucer is absolutely enormous. Compared to the TOS Enterprise or even the TMP refit, the Abramsprise's saucer is way out of proportion with the rest of the ship. And finally, there's the connecting dorsal. On the Abramsprise, it's upside down and set too far back on the secondary hull. I don't mind the extra thickness so much, simply because I always thought the original's neck was too thin (but I still wouldn't have changed it). The positioning of the neck is what throws the Abramsprise's proportions so far out of whack. That and the fact that the nacelles are waaaaaaaaaaaay too big and close together. The Abramsprise is a caracature, a parody of the original. For me, it will never be worthy of the name Enterprise.

17. Chrisisall

18. Chrisisall

Nicely put, Mr. Ambassador.;)

19. Chrisisall

May I assume you are under 40? Because the Refit Enterprise was a bit of a chore to swallow back in '79 for us original geeks....

Just sayin'.

20. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

It seems the opinions are settled into the three usual camps:
    1 - Like the new Enterprise - usually those who also liked the movie
    2 - Hate the new Enterprise - usually those who also hated the movie
    3 - Can't we all just get along and enjoy both? - probably the more sane view

It really IS possible to like both.