Going Veggie

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Amaris, Jan 16, 2013.

1. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^But...does it taste like butt?

2. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

These pics are getting me hungry.

With the weather warming up, I eat a lot more veggie stuff. Quicker to prep, lighter, and less use of the oven.

3. thestrangequark

Well...plain polenta just tastes like corn! I sauteed two slices in olive oil and topped with fresh sweet basil and cilantro, served with steamed asparagus, fresh sliced tomato, and cucumber pico de gallo.

4. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

You need some Stinking Bishop. We had to stop and throw it out of the car on the way home from buying it...

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love smelly cheese.

Anyway, five month update:

Blood Pressure: 124/78
    Blood Glucose: 108!!!!

I'm thrilled about the blood pressure reading, but this is the first time my blood glucose has been this low in at least 3 years. :D :D :D

VEGETARIANISM: IT WORKS! :D :D :D :D :D :D

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay... I don't have much to contribute to this thread, but I do have a question.

My cousin(literally a sister to me since we grew up together) is coming over for a week and she's full fledged vegan. That said... I'm not much of a cook but what kind of stuff should I have in the house for her to eat on? Cause my fridge is full of animal meat and animal based products right now. :p

Thanks for any help. :)

7. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Full fledged Vegan? Well, I'm not a fan of PeTA, but they have a section on their site that lists Vegan foods by category, you can see it here: http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/accidentally-vegan.aspx

Vegans don't eat meat, dairy, eggs, or anything that comes from an animal, which includes a number of fats and oils.

Good luck!

8. R. Star

Yeah, as much as I want to give her a hard time over it, I'm really trying to be nice about this but I'm just... lost and that list kinda confuses me more. :p She's kinda the radical one of the family in so many ways, but we haven't seen each other in a few years so the old confrontational banter might wear thin.

Honestly I'm wondering if my best option is to take her to the grocery store and say "get what you want" when she gets here, but even that kinda seems prudish. But thanks for the list, at least that gives me something to go by! But what's up with all these cereals?! Milk is from an animal! :confused: Though the fact that energy drinks are Vegan friendly amuses me to no end!

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is what I would do. Have some fruit available and otherwise tell her to get what she wants. Typical vegan foods such as soymilk and tofu are also things she may not like and you don't want to be stuck with stuff you won't use.

10. R. Star

You know... this being my initial idea, it doesn't sound so bad hearing it from you! Can I blame you if it makes her mad? :p

11. teacake

Yeah. Tell her this crazy Janeway person ordered you at the butt end of a phaser to make her shop.

I guess you want to buy the food yourself and it gets awkward to have her pick it out and you pay for it rather than it just being in the house. So maybe if you tell her, "I need you to help me shop vegan!" and then pushily purchase it all it will be okay.

12. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

I have some really healthy pancake recipes if you interested. Vegetarians can eat white chocolate right?

13. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Good job, J. Allen. Congratulations!

This.

Also maybe check out whether there's a vegan restaurant around that you could take her to once.

14. teacake

Vegans don't eat chocolate made with milk products.

15. gturner

gturner Admiral

Can't they eat bacon if the pig had been in a coma?

16. thestrangequark

Vegetarians can eat all the chocolate they want, so long as it's not chocolate covered meat. Vegans can eat all the chocolate they want, so long as there are no animal products (milk, honey, etc) in it. I don't know if there's a vegan version of white chocolate.

17. gturner

gturner Admiral

Not only is there vegan white chocolate, there's even Kosher vegan white chocolate. :)

Amazon has a few varieties.

18. thestrangequark

^Sweet! Literally!

19. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Awesome job, my friend!:beer:

20. R. Star

We lived together when Voyager was originally airing, so she'd just take that as par for the course about the "crazy Janeway person" orders. ;)

Definitely footing the bill though, I do want to be a gracious host but yeah... too much room to err. Oh and we already have two places we'll be going to as she loves them every time she comes into town. Shipley's Doughnuts(really) and Freebirds a kind of Tex-Mex place.