Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, a 20-minute episode, actually, several minutes of which are recycled Super Sentai footage. So it might come out to about the same amount of new content, give or take.

2. Christopher

"Return of the Caveman" was an okay episode. It certainly made Koda more sympathetic, something the previous episode totally failed to do. And I liked it that the solution to escaping relied partly on Koda's prehistoric skills and partly on Koda learning to use modern technoogy -- a nice balance.

I still don't get how Koda can be so new to our civilization if he's been alive for 100,000 years. It'd make more sense if he'd been frozen in ice Encino Man-style -- although that seemed to be kind of what was being suggested in the teaser here, when he seemed to be falling into the ocean when his Energem empowered him. So maybe more Captain America than Encino Man -- perhaps the Energem let him survive being frozen until Kendall (?) unearthed him. But if so, I wish they'd say so.

So that's four Zords so far, and it looks like they swap out in combinations of three at a time, at least for now. Nice touch, though, having "Tricera" go off on a rescue mission while the other three were in Megazord mode to fight the monster.

3. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

ba ba ba ba i'm lovin it

5. Christopher

"Breaking Black" gives us our first focus on Chase -- nothing profound, just that he's easily distracted unless he's on his skateboard, and New Zealand New Zealand New Zealand. Plus it's the inevitable "introduction of the combined weapon" plot that I guess was due about this time. We barely get a look at the "Dino Spike," which is just all five weapons lined up into a single staff. Which is unusual for the combined weapons in that it's wielded by just the Red Ranger instead of all five together. (Well, usually Red is the one who holds it, but the others are standing or kneeling alongside and presumably contributing their power.)

And we finally get confirmation that Koda was frozen in a glacier -- why didn't they say that two weeks ago instead of dropping that casual "Hey, you're all immortal now" bombshell? And we've now seen how all five Rangers got their Energems.

So, okay... the different Zords are in their own particular environments when they get summoned, like a volcano or the jungle or the Arctic... and the Parazord's environment is... a European castle? Huh? And it's standing on the roof, which is somehow strong enough to support the weight of a giant robot dinosaur. Or else it's a very light giant robot dinosaur, given how it bounces around.

6. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, he looks like he's promoting a fast-food joint. :lol: Reminds me of Captain Amazing:

[​IMG]

7. Samurai8472

Yeah...

The Kyoryugers were from various locations

Pink studied in America

Black lost his best friend in Europe. So someone his dino represents europe

Kyoryuger episode 4 is available to watch on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2839887772973

8. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

I was pretty much hooked after the first 30 seconds. :lol:
    It's violent as hell, but man what a ride. It was taken down for awhile but it's now back up.
    https://youtu.be/vw5vcUPyL90

9. Christopher

"Let Sleeping Zords Lie" was a pretty good one. It's good to see Shelby and Kendall finally getting past their hostility and working together. It's particularly good to see a story that portrays the characters pursuing science as the key to their success; the science may not be particularly accurate, but it's good if it makes science look appealing to young viewers. It's especially good that it's the women who are triumphing at science. Anything that encourages girls to take an interest in science and technology fields and overcomes old stereotypes is good.

A bit contrived that they can use the Dino Charger and control the Zord without the Energem or the Aqua Ranger. I gather that the Kyoryuger equivalent did introduce the sixth Ranger, but here we just get the Zord for some reason.

10. Samurai8472

Basically the Pteradon had an evil Dinocharge battery manipulating it until it broke free from control

KyoryuGold debut

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p27M0_sESs[/YT]

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

As part of Power Rangers does Saban own the rights to show the unmodified Japanese material? I know they wouldn't want to cut into the Power Rangers market but it'd be awesome if they would show subbed Japanese episodes at midnight or something. Could be a nice way to expand the demographics and interest and I wouldn't think it would undercut the appeal of the main show for the kids.

12. Christopher

I don't know about Saban, but Shout Factory recently did a North American DVD release of Zyuranger, the series on which Mighty Morphin season 1 was based. From what I can tell, Saban had nothing to do with it.

(And I am so sick of Google as a search engine these days. I tried looking for "Zyuranger DVD rights," and it assumed I was asking for "Zyuranger DVD release." I had to put "rights" in quotation marks to get it to search for the actual word I entered. Evidently Google assumes everybody is a terrible speller, which is really insulting. And it makes Google far less useful as a search engine, if you're looking for something specific and narrow rather than just whatever the most popular search is. Which I usually am.)

13. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fun fact about the Green Ranger: he actually has three Raptor Zords. You'll see one. And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side, from the other two Raptor Zords you didn't even know were there. Because the Raptor Zord is a pack hunter, you see. The point is, you are alive when they start to eat you.

14. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

15. Chris3123

Here's some supposed character breakdowns for Rita and Zordon for the upcoming reboot movie. Take these with a grain of salt.

Rita:

Zordon:

The article also claims that Zordon himself will have been the Red Ranger way back during the Cretaceous period, as established in the prologue.

Heroic Hollywood

All of this according to "multiple sources". Again, grain of salt.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if that means we won't get the classic hologram projection of Zordon?

17. Chris3123

I don't see why not. Zordon was always human (or equivalent) in the show, he was just stuck in the "time warp" that Rita banished him to those thousands of years ago. They even mentioned him personally battling Rita and her forces in the show, too. The only difference between this description and him in the show is that the reboot would have him being an actual Ranger way back then.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wasn't aware of that. I haven't watched PR since I was a kid.

19. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

He was supposed to be a wizard according to the toys. I always thought he was an alien, just a vaguely human looking one.

Also this movie is probably going to be horrible, but I'm still going to watch it.

20. Christopher

Zordon came from the planet Eltar, though like many planets in the Power Rangers universe, its natives are presumably human-looking -- although the only other Eltarian we met was the Phantom Ranger, whose face was never seen. Zordon returned to Eltar at the start of Power Rangers Turbo and was captured by Dark Specter when the planet was conquered at the end of that series, leading into Power Rangers in Space as the Rangers flew off into space to search for him (yet their "search" somehow consisted of spending most of their time hanging around in Angel Grove and not actually looking for him).

Zordon battled Rita 10,000 years ago, defeating her and locking her in a "dumpster" on the Moon, but in a final act of revenge, she trapped him in a time warp, so that the only way he could interact with our world was as a holographic Wizard-of-Oz head.

http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Zordon