Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by bbjeg, Sep 6, 2013.

?

Do fans want the prime timeline back?

1. I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back.

56.0%
  2. I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back.

16.4%
  3. I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back.

11.1%
  4. I don't care, just give me Trek!

14.6%
  5. I don't know.

1.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

"Fan" in this poll is defined as anyone who enjoyed one or combinations of any series, books, games, or movies.

(To modders: I'm unaware if this brakes any repost rule. I just want visual data on the topic, whichever way it goes.)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I don't know.

There's too many variables that are unknown. I'll get back to you once they announce something...

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I don't know. As long as it continues to be quality, I don't care.

4. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

^Agreed. I'm fine with either the Primeverse or the current one as long as we're getting good stories.

5. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I was going to say (or my original plan was) they got the writers they needed to pull it off (or if NuTrek equally got the writers to pull off a great 3rd movie) and use the "I don't know" option as a "I'm content and/or wouldn't want them to make any rash decisions" but that wouldn't be fair to those who like doing their homework on a show before committing to it or whatever reason.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

7. Kirk the Jerk

Kirk the Jerk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted I want it back. Into Darkness bugged me too much to vote anything else. The Prime line is what I know and love about Star Trek and would love to see a continuation of that. There's too many Prequels and reboots at the moment for me.

8. BillJ

I just think this is the wrong reason to bring Trek back whether in the Prime or any other timeline. It feels like a blanket that people just can't let go of for emotional reasons.

9. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Aa much as I love them, anything stylistically resembling Berman era Trek would likely kill the franchise at this point, so if that's what you mean by "Prime", then no, I wouldn't want it.

However, any show, in any timeline/setting, embracing the energy and excitement of Abrams Trek, while simultaneously retaining the "core" essence of TOS could truly be great. The last two movies, particularly STID, achieved this in spades.

10. DonIago

Well, if Trek '09 had been the abomination that some people seem to consider it to be...

But as far as the general public was concerned it wasn't, and as far as the Trek fanbase is concerned, it's my opinion they should be grateful that something happened to revive interest in the franchise even if they didn't care for the precise form that it took.

11. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't think of anything duller than some ridiculous 24th/25th century 'continuation.' TNG-Trek is dead. Good riddance.

12. Kirk the Jerk

Possibly... But I don't necessarily see that as a wrong reason. Star Trek to me has always been more than just action. There's science fact, science theory, back stories etc. I don't want Star Trek to just be another Action movie, that's kind of what Star Wars is but I guess Star Wars has always been the more sell-able franchise, more popular. But that's not what I'm looking for personally...

13. DonIago

Would you judge the shape TNG was going to take by the first two episodes? If not, then I'd recommend not applying that standard to the new movies.

14. BillJ

The first two episodes of TNG I saw were Encounter at Farpoint and The Naked Now back in 1987. I loved them both then and I love them now. I wish the rest of Modern Trek had been as enjoyable as those first two seasons of TNG. :(

15. BillJ

TOS was always working under budget and time constraints and never seemed to have an issue with telling exciting/engaging episodes. :techman:

16. Kirk the Jerk

True...

I guess the other point about being emotionally attached does hold more ground than I first thought...

And I did delete that comment after reading it back, you were too fast for me :rommie:

17. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I voted that I want it back as it is what I personally want. :cool:
    I enjoyed the '09 move, haven't seen the new one yet, but it wasn't Star Trek for me.

Would I want the NuTrek to end? No. I tried to get my children into Trek but they never really got into it. When the '09 movie came out my oldest son, now 32, loved it. So I have a new Trek fan in my family now. Which I consider a great thing. Anything that brings in new people to Trek is a good thing in my opinion.

If there had been an option for both I would have chosen that.

18. Kirk the Jerk

The re boot for movies (if more thought goes into it than Into Darkness) and prime line back for TV... Hmm... Interesting!

19. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Why do people assume "Prime" Trek means Berman style. Prime timeline doesn't necessarily mean that, it's the incorporation of all of it's Pre-NuTrek history.

20. DonIago

It seems to me that this question almost boils down to "Would you rather see a bad Primeverse series than a good NewVerse one?" Because if not, then why not allow the Newverse to continue?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.