The All-New DALLAS!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved the finale. The Dallas return has really surprised me. I was a fan of the old one when i was a kid. I didnt watch every episode of course. It was on late and there was always school. But had fond memories of all the talk it generated among my parents and other family members. So i was not going to miss this show. So I was excited for this but skeptical.

The last scenes of the finale along with Johnny Cashs, God's Gonna Cut You Down were excellent. Favorite scene was the pull away of JR and John Ross. Cant get better than that.

January should be here before we know it.:techman:

Oh did anyone watch the tnt roundup afterwards? Larry Hagman has regained some weight now. He looked great. I hope he is able to stay with the show for some time. Its great seeing him on a weekly show again.

2. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gotta admit, Ann is a matriarch that Miss Ellie would've been proud of.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has she shot JR?

My shot guy this, and my shot gun that, but the worst she has done is stick her foot up his ass.

4. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

She hasn't shot J.R. yet, but we're only at the end of the first season. There's at least 15 more episodes wherein Ann could potentially shoot him.

5. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, you kinda picture her sitting in a rocking chair with a glass of wine after Ann puts somebody in their place and telling Bobby, "I like her, Bobby; I really do."

6. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Not JR, but the one time she did fire the thing it was at John Ross snooping around after hours. She didn't see his face.

7. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

It's been a while since I saw that episode; I thought it was someone (a ranch hand? someone from his drilling crew?) John Ross paid to break into the house and steal whatever.

8. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I don't think Ann actually shot him either. The next day, the Sheriff makes the comment "Next time, shoot him." -- we all laughed at this in this very thread at the time!

9. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

You're probably both right, but I'm saying she did fire the gun, so it's not like she's never done it.

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

This should be like Kenny on South Park, Ann shoots JR every week. Okay sometimes she might miss. ;)

11. doubleohfive

The only time I remember Ann being near a gun that was fired was when Tommy and Rebecca were out on the range shooting bottles, only to be joined by Ann midway to tell Rebecca to come back to the house.

Other than that, I don't recall Ann actually firing a gun at all.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

She shot (at?) a burglar in the pilot.

Started watching Everwood the other night.

She likes playing dead women a little.

13. doubleohfive

She didn't shoot at the burglar in the pilot though. She got the gun and was about ti shoot at him when he was running away. Unless she shot at him while he was in the house, but I don't remember that happening.

14. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I can see why'd they would do it that way. When this was brought back, it had been a little over two decades since the original series left the airwaves. Not counting the reunion movies ... though even there, the last one of those with the original cast was in 98, if I remember correctly.

Though the original series was a blockbuster in its day, they tried and tried to bring the show back - as a motion picture, with John Travolta as JR ... as a mini-series ... as a movie-of-the-week ... and every one of them stalled for one reason or another. Even with some of the original cast reprising their roles, it was a huge gamble. It could have bombed. Would audiences in 2012 still care about rich folks backstabbing each other? Although, that does seem to be the demographic for Bravo, with the "Real Housewives" series.

They wrapped up the bigger storylines, while planting seeds for new ones, hoping there would be a renewal. And, it worked. It was a gamble that paid off.

There were so many clues shown regarding Rebecca that I should have picked up on, but until she was in that hanger, I didn't piece it together. One of these days, I'll have to start a rewatch marathon of the original series and take notes. Maybe then I'll pick up on new stuff faster.

It has renewed interest - for me - in the original series. I just hope they redo the opening theme with an orchestra and show clips/faces with the new season. As I recall, they did the same sort of thing with the original - the first season (the miniseries) had random shots of the area, then with season 2 (or 3?) they used the actors.

15. doubleohfive

This is also more and more the typical trend of serialized television shows these days, from LOST to True Blood to most shows on basic cable. Buffy and Angel did the same thing back in their day, as opposed to the straight out end/cliffhanger we are accustomed to on shows like TNG and the original Dallas.

It occurred to me last week that Cliff's plan makes perfect sense, in a way - the Ewings have been a constant pain in his side, all the way from teenage J.R. bullying Cliff at the Southfork Barbecue in 1955 in The Early Years, to Pam marrying in to the Ewing family, Rebecca Wentworth's death, Katherine's eventual descent in to villainy/madness, April's murder, etc. No wonder he wants to get back at the Ewings!

The thing I did wonder about - and will be very interested in seeing how they resolve next season, if at all - will be Cliff's relationships with Bobby and Christopher. When the original show ended, Cliff and Bobby were mostly on good terms with each other, and Cliff had established a fairly good role as uncle to Christopher as well. Something must have happened in the intervening 21 years to push Cliff in to this. Too, if Afton is Rebecca's mother, I don't see how she would be "in" on Cliff's plan as she, while having a somewhat colorful past, was never played as someone shady or villainous like Katherine or J.R. Lastly - the big piece of the puzzle that makes no sense (yet) is simply that being that Bobby and Cliff were on such friendly terms at the end of the series, why is it Cliff never introduced Bobby to his daughter?

In J.R. Returns, Cliff knows he has a daughter with Afton "somewhere out there" -- as established when Afton briefly returned to the original series in 1988. I can't remember if Cliff meets his daughter in those episodes or not, but it was a plot thread that was picked up again in J.R. Returns.

Being that the reunion movies have effectively been ignored/canceled out of continuity, it is entirely possible that Rebecca Sutter (who we now know was not really a Sutter) is Cliff's daughter, only referred to as "Miss Barnes" by Frank Ashkani (further suggesting that despite Cliff's raising/supporting Frank, he and Rebecca did not grow up together?)

I've gotten used to the new visuals for the opening of this show, but my OCD still bugs me and I too would much prefer a recording done by an actual orchestra, not a computer. The old opening credits (see below) were such a brazen, in your face "announcement" in their day - loud, brassy music, heavy bass beats below them, and big shiny blocky fonts. The new series opening is trying to go for that same "flash," but does so half-heartedly I think. I would gladly sacrifice the tri-image credit for an orchestral recording.

I've been doing a slow rewatch this summer. There's a great scene in a season 6 episode, "Requiem" (right after Rebecca Wentworth's death) where Miss Ellie and Sue Ellen argue about the family, the fight for Ewing Oil between J.R. and Bobby (as stipulated in Jock's will), and the effect it will have on the next generation of Ewings, which I thought was delightfully prophetic of the new series main arc:

Cynthia Cidre obviously saw this episode! :lol:

Nope.

The mini series credits were presented the same way as those of most of the series:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh2CCe491Ec[/yt]

The series mostly stayed with this format till 1989, when it changed to a newer format, abandoning the three-image panels for a more modern opening, used for the rest of the series and the reunion films:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16tDS-9KcSE[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7iUUfI80Nw[/yt]

^This also has the teaser for J.R. Returns, which given the whole point of the movie and how the series ended, is pretty fun.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVaZZRQwzp0[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeboOIkfbMI[/yt]

Compared to the new, 2012 version ^

The only beef I have with that is that while David Jacobs is rightly credited as the creator of the original series, he pretty much left it after writing the pilot/miniseries and Leonard Katzman took over as showrunner for the entirety of the series (except for the dream season when he was edged out by Phil Capice) and The War of the Ewings (by then, Katzman had passed away)... It's a bit red-tape-y, but Katzman was responsible for the Dallas we all knew and loved just as much --if not more so -- than Jacobs. He should be credited as well.

Too, in an interview with RejectedFilmScores.com, Jerrold Immel elaborated on his theme for Dallas, which he composed and then summarily returned each season to re-orchestrate and re-record (which is why there are so many damn different versions of the theme!):

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  16. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Jerrold Who? I thought Bruce Broughton composed the theme...

17. doubleohfive

Jerrold Immel. He composed the theme for the series and scored the show for most of its run, alternating at times with Bruce Broughton (who also won and Emmy for his work on Dallas) and John Parker.

Immel however, wrote the iconic theme we all know and love.

18. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Gotcha.

19. doubleohfive

Also, a fun fact from a soundtrack editor I know:

The job of scoring Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan was originally offered to Jerrold Immel. He wound up turning it down because he was also offered the job of scoring Megaforce. He chose Megaforce because it had been allocated a bigger budget for scoring.

Once again, the almighty dollar wins. J.R. would be proud. :lol:

20. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Indeed! :D Doesn't matter to me though. Trek II and its score were both better than Megaforce and its score anyway.

(Yes, I like James Horner's work...)