The All-New DALLAS!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Gotta feeling we're going to wind up with her "brother" dead but she's injured and she'll lose one of the twins (the blood spatter on one bear but not the other - I don't think that's a directorial accident). The season will probably wrap up with Bobby's life in peril, and JR taking charge of running Southfork and the family while Bobby's gone. I hate to say it, but in a backhanded way I think he's going to wind up being an antihero in this version and not a villain qua villain, and basically he'll save the day.

2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Yeah...for himself.

Being seen as the family savior would just be gravy...and garner more power for him.

It's all in how you look at it.

3. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

Part of the reason they have to emphasize the younger cast members so much is that Larry Hagman is at his age reportedly neither willing or capable of being the driving force of every episode. Even when the new Dallas has only half as many episodes per season as the original.

And people should remember that even in the original Dallas, JR was not an unrelenting villian all the time. He went through sustained periods of being a decent human being. Often after some traumatic event like nearly a full season after he was shot.

4. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Understood. It's obvious he's not a young man, and for other reasons he's also not very robust, even for his age.

One season. He was a right bastard for most of the other twelve, because that's the way people liked him.

5. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

Anyone remember Larry Hagman in the movie "Fail Safe"?

He was pretty prominent as the Russian language interpreter for the President (Henry Fonda)

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Spoiler or rumor from Soaps.com

Rebecca's Mom is Katherine Wentworth. Her father is J.R. EWING!!!!!
    She is pregnant with J.R.s grandchildren. She is John Ross' half sister. She is Cliff and Pam's niece

Would be interesting if true and would explain her name.

7. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

that would be too creepy

and believe it or not I think JR is doing what he thinks is right for his family. It's always about his family and his position in it. He just thinks he's the only one who knows the right course of action and that there is nothing wrong with doing whatever it takes to make sure it's his vision that prevails.

8. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

No creepier than the very first Dalllas episode that featured Lucy Ewing (Charlene Tilton) having sex in the barn with Ray Krebbs (Steven Kanaly).

Later turned out Ray was here uncle (or at least half uncle).

9. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

If that rumor is true, it's gong to be awfully interesting seeing Bobby's reaction when he finds out about it given how much hell he went through during the original series regarding that spoiler.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cliff hasn't done enough evil shit for the noobs to shiver when he walks by like some bugger is whistling the imperial march.

11. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Give him time. He'll probably be more evil if the show gets picked up.

12. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

The show has already been picked up.

Besides, it's been made plain already that he and J.R. have no interest in settling or dropping the infamous Barnes-Ewing feud. I can easily see Cliff coming back next season and there being more conflict between him and the Ewings.

I just hope we get to see his daughter again. Imagine the fun if she winds up romancing John Ross! :lol:

13. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Yayy! (I didn't know...)

Good! This show needs the old timers just as much - if not more than - the young-uns!

So John Ross can get beat up by both Cliff and Elena? Cool! :D

14. Ar-Pharazon

^ 15 episodes for season 2 to air sometime in 2013, hopefully early in the year.

15. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

So, any guesses on who does what tonight?

It looks like Anne will prostitute herself to her ex for the good of the family.

Maybe Bobby dies...but next season we find out it was all not a dream, but an elaborate fanfilm the Ewing family was watching on-line.

16. Ar-Pharazon

Annie get your wire. Didn't see that coming.

ETA: If she's
    Cliff & Afton's daughter
    did she have plastic surgery? Otherwise, wouldn't someone recognize her?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  17. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FINALE SPOILERS WITHIN!

Hey guys! I haven't posted yet this thread but done some lurking and been watching since the premiere. I felt compelled to come on and say though - Wow! What a finale! There really was something for all the characters this episode and I've gotta say, the revelation about Rebecca was absolutely perfect and blew me away!

The main reason I started watching this show is I have a lot of nostalgia of watching the original Dallas as a kid with my parents. I still remember well watching the series finale and my dad's reaction at the very end. So, when word came around of the new Dallas, I couldn't help but invite my mom over to watch the premiere. That led to us having a weekly Wednesday get-together to watch the new episode. I think I enjoyed it more initally as a chance to visit and share some laughs about the sometimes rediculous predictable nature of the plot, yet still there was the nostalgia value. These last two episodes though have really ratcheted things up a notch!

As far as the original show, back a few years ago I started collecting the series on DVD and watching it from the start. It obviously has its ups and downs and the repetitive predictable soapish storylines often irritated me. I got as far as early into the dream season and just kind of stopped watching due to boredom. I must say though, this year's finale has bolstered my interest somewhat and I might have to give things another shot.

Very good call.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, Christopher winds up giving it to his cousin after all?

"Sigh"

19. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

EEE-yeah, that's almost as bad as Luke and Leia. And what does it say about me that I like "Rebecca" better now that I know she's a scheming Barnes?

Meanwhile, still in love with Anne...

20. Warp Core Breach

Warp Core Breach Commodore Commodore

I was really hoping she'd turn out to be Katherine Wentworth's daughter, but there we go. That nitwit Cliff Barnes seems much more evil than he was in the original series, or at least I don't remember him disposing of any bodies back in the old days. The worst thing he did was order Chinese food all the time, which I suppose for those of us in the know should have been some foreshadowing regarding Rebecca's True Identity™. Dun Dun Dunnnnnnnnnnnn!

The writing on this show is all over the map, isn't it? A shitload of things happened in this episode to undo everything that happened previously, and it's not the first time that's happened. Still, it was a summertime guilty pleasure for me so I can put up with that.