Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by bbjeg, Sep 6, 2013.

?

Do fans want the prime timeline back?

1. I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back.

56.0%
  2. I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back.

16.4%
  3. I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back.

11.1%
  4. I don't care, just give me Trek!

14.6%
  5. I don't know.

1.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

A young man who thinks he is above the rules. Nope. Have never ran into that before in this lifetime. Never. Never. Never.

2. BillJ

Welcome to the funny farm! :techman:

3. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, so many of those running around, I guess we'd better just start giving them Starships. Because I would want the morons I see wandering around the neighborhood in charge of one of the most powerful weapons in existance.

4. BillJ

Well, you're deliberately ignoring what the film tells us about Jim Kirk. A man who is considered a genius and completed the Academy in three years. Plus, we have no idea of what type of experience he gained from ages 18-22 before joining the Academy.

But none of those facts fit with your gripe...

5. Grendelsbayne

No, no, he isn't, in fact, a moron. I know. But as long as he considers himself above everyone else, he does not deserve command. As far as i'm concerned, that's pretty much the bottom line. That and the fact that someone at Starfleet should've had enough brains to realize that before he was promoted in the first place.

6. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Prime timeline was bogged down by decades of continuity and I'm in complete agreement that it had to go in order for Star Trek to reach a larger audience. However, I'm not a fan of this wishy-washy reboot that we have going on either. This new timeline still needs to operate within the parameters of the Prime timeline by explaining how Nero's trip back in time has altered things and that seriously holds back the potential for original, new ideas. And Prime Spock, as cool as it is to see Leonard Nimoy again, is the dumbest thing that I've seen since Tom Paris broke the Warp 10 barrier.

They should have just ripped the continuity band aid right off and did a complete reboot. Yes, a few purists would have complained even more loudly than they already did, but it would have been for the best.

7. BillJ

No. Not even close. :p

I agree with you there. :techman:

8. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I rather agree with this. But now that they've put a new generation in touch with TOS, who knows what can happen...

9. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The problem I have with Spock Prime is that he's a constant reminder that the continuity band-aid is still on the patient. He's a connection to the original Prime timeline when this new timeline most needs to stand on its own two feet and create it's own identity. Spock Prime can't continue popping up in every movie dispensing advice and influencing events when the entire point of the reboot was to remove all the continuity baggage from the Prime timeline.

10. BillJ

Count me as someone who wishes they would take off the training wheels and allow this version of these characters to stand on their own. :techman:

11. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll be more worried about SpockPrime if/when he shows up in the next film. Playing an integral role in the first film and a cameo in the second doesn't strike me as a trend.

Hell, it wouldn't have made any sense for NuSpock not to ask SpockPrime if he knew Khan. Worst-case scenario, he's no worse off than he already was.

12. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

I want the prime back.

13. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Did you not read any of the previous posts?

Kirk put himself "above everyone else" many, many times in TOS, TAS and seven movies.

14. Grendelsbayne

No, he didn't. Did you skip over the multiple posts about the difference between doing whatever you want just because and doing what you think is right, then willingly taking whatever consequences there may be?

15. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't say I agree with much of your post, but this much I do. Half the first movie is inevitably going to be spent introducing the new cast, but having the other half explain some tentative connection to the prime universe was more than a little lame. Especially when they could've been telling their own story. That is the whole point of a reboot, so you can do things fresh and original. I just wish we'd have seen more of it in ID.

16. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

Star Trek Aurora is showing what can be done with the interdiction of Prime ST with a Harry Mudd episode. With the 50th Ann. coming up, we need to get younger genn. fans involved. Look what Star Wars has done with the animated version on the cartoon network!!!
    :drool: :bolian:

17. David.Blue

David.Blue Commander Red Shirt

I'm all in favor of an animated series. And a new live action series. And more movies.

More, I've all kinds of preferences, but primarily I want to be entertained and moved. Everything else is secondary.

18. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly I don't see the Prime Timeline coming back. I have yet to see a franchise that has a continuity reboot go back to the previous continuity.

19. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

If the recent movies had been a failure I could maybe see it. I'd say the opposite has happened though, and to go back to the original timeline would, I think to many fans, be completely inexplicable.

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It looks like Universal is going to do just that with The Legend of Conan, but it's certainly pretty unusual, and I wouldn't expect it to happen with Star Trek. Conan is only going that way because (a) the studio has lured Schwarzenegger, somehow still an international star, back to the fold and (b) the reboot was a flop.

Some franchises have chosen to ignore certain sequels (the Universal Soldier series did this, apparently) but that's not quite the same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.